Will my modem support a 16Mbps download speed?

• Thread starter Thread starter ferdybowler
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 6,246
ISP
Airtel
Hi newbie here, Please help me figure out if my modem would support a 16Mbps airtel connection? Will I get the full speed as promised?
This is what I could get for my firmware adsl info -

Will it support the speed? Do I have to buy a new one? if I have to, what would be the best one to buy?

Also, Lot of sites are being blocked by Airtel right now, how do you guys get around it?
Thanks in advance.

I am not an expert, but your line rate seems to indicate it can support upto 15Mbps. I think that is your current speed possible on your line to your exchange or DSLAM and does not reflect your modem limits. I am guessing your modem will be able to support this speed though.

Your line will NOT support 16mbps. Any DSL modem should be able to support 16 mbps & even higher if your line supports it.
Unfortunately, your line does not.
As far as getting around blocked sites are concerned, you can use a proxy or even a VPN. Look around the forum for more options.

Right. If Airtel decides that you are eligible to get a 16mbps line, they would most likely replace the modem themselves (and charge you for it).

uberjon said:
Your line will NOT support 16mbps. Any DSL modem should be able to support 16 mbps & even higher if your line supports it.
Unfortunately, your line does not.
Can you please explain how did you find out that my line wouldn't support the speed from the ADSL status I posted? I'm just curious to know more about this stuff :joyous: :Read:

Your stats aren't good enough, raising your line rate to >16mbit will result in a massive drop in the SNR margin and you will face frequent disconnection.

Your SNR margin should be way higher (can be done by removing noise in your line) only that way you can support 16mbps connection. Just curious how much you are getting in your speed test?

Rako said:
Can you please explain how did you find out that my line wouldn't support the speed from the ADSL status I posted? I'm just curious to know more about this stuff :joyous: :Read:
The line rate. It's 15230 kbps. With overhead, you would need around 17500 or 18000.

^ Yes, but then OP's modem's SNR margin will drop to unacceptable levels. Right now it's barely enough.
OP needs to change the line and the modem and then try his/her luck.

If the OP has such a low value, how will changing SNR come into the picture? Forcing a higher sync to get 16mbps is not likely to happen.
Why change the modem? The existing modem should be fine. It's the line that has a problem.
Anyway, 8mbps might be an option.
16mbps is good *ONLY IF* you download a lot. There is almost no difference between 8 mbps & 16 mbps for normal browsing. Even 1080p vids would stream without buffering on an 8 mbps line.

Back