will Tata Sky DTH unlock stb from dec 1 as per trai ?

• Thread starter Thread starter ragavindia
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 31
  • Views Views 12,322
@hirenvyas.,Ya. the TRAI rules ensures that we can change from one DTH to Another with the same STB. But I am not sure whether TS and Dish will accept that.

how effetively stb's will be interoperable from 1 dec as per trai regulations ?will current dth operators (ts and dish) allow this ? or will they have tie up and share profit if a customer shifts to other operators ?

^The STB functions are same with respect to signals and other things. But with regard to active services, it may differ i think. Correct me if I'm wrong

the stbs doesnot depend on encryption technology i believe..only the dth operators use different encryption standards to compressmore channels as per their requirement, its only from satelllite end not from stb's end....so if TS unlocks the box it may work for any encryption method provided u insert the smart card(digicard) of that operator.TS digicard is programmed to receive NDS encryption so if we insert dish tv'sdigicard it will be programmed according to their technology andthe stb will accept it i suppose..

wth is this :@ even rules are to be favored to customer, no chance of using stb for another dth service? :confused:

if I came to know about this rule I would have saved some handsome amount when I switched my dth.

the stbs doesnot depend on encryption technology i believe..
only the dth operators use different encryption standards to compress
more channels as per their requirement, its only from satelllite end not from stb's end....
so if TS unlocks the box it may work for any encryption method provided u insert the smart card(digicard) of that operator.
TS digicard is programmed to receive NDS encryption so if we insert dish tv's
digicard it will be programmed according to their technology and
the stb will accept it i suppose..
Encryption is hardware & software dependent, so NDS card slot on Tata Sky will NEVER accept CONAX card from DISHTV, but there is device called CAM (Conditional access module - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) which allows to read the card for which CAM is developed. For this our STB should support CAM (DISH TV STB supports CAM I guess as they have provided CAM slot)
Compression technology used by DTH providers is MPEG-2, which provides method by which certain number of channels are compressed and added on any TP, other method is MPEG-4

Back