YOU Broadband's horrible routing causing high latency and slow speeds. (Pune)

• Thread starter Thread starter D@rekills4
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 164
  • Views Views 32,176
@Dark_Nate I am glad to hear about BSNL in the NE being responsive to customer feedback even though their hands are tied due to lack of proper infrastructure and the present environment in the company. Unfortunately as we all know the MTNL/BSNL twins are on life-support and most employees are debating about basic issues that concern them personally rather than pay attention to the customer. One employee ruefully told me that "our own people are this company's biggest enemies, they are destroying it from within". That's over and above politicians' games in Delhi that affect them. BSNL people in my city just dont seem to care. I gave up on them long back.

As for the rest of the telecom industry all except Jio (for now) are suffering which in turn affects their investments in infrastructure and dare I add sometimes even QoS. So far You BB has provided me excellent service for the 4+ years I have been with them. If Vodafone sinks, YBB will probably go down too as it is a subsidiary. Airtel too has provided very good service. This connection was taken Feb last year. The least reliable is Tata Sky BB which suffers fiber cuts every few weeks on an average.

If Jio becomes the only ISP left, it'll be monopolised and we'd be fucked.

You already know how bad Jio Fiber is in terms of security and privacy.

First of all, do you not understand how online gaming works?

Second of all, how exactly do you expect smooth online gaming if the routing is sub-par?

Third of all, many of us are streamers who earn income from online gaming and/or participate in competitive online gaming as a source of income.

Fourth of all, not all Indian ISPs have bad routing. I was Bangalore for a week and had access to ACT Fibernet. I managed to get 50ms on Singaporean AWS servers. This is the official maximum latency recommend by Epic Games.

If ACT Fibernet in Bangalore can managed decent routing on shared bandwidth. Why can't other ISPs including BSNL achieve the same damn thing?
:rolleyes:Bsnl do have a good routing for thier ftth, as per lot of people over here.. even on my adsl connection while playing pubg they could maintain a 40-60ms (mumbai). on bahrain server its around 80-110ms
on Amazon aws server they do give 90-120ms on my connection even though not as good as 50ms, 100 seems playable too.

Last edited:
Long story short.

WE know, perfect routing is next to impossible for millions of users.

We expect DECENT not perfect routing.

All major online games are hosted on AWS. AWS Middle East for online games is hosted in Mumbai and Bahrain.

Can you explain to us, what's so hard for every Indian ISP from North, East, West, Central and Northeast India to achieve DECENT latency to Mumbai servers?

If you worked with European telcos, you must have seen how small countries like Latvia, can achieve decent latency to Singaporean servers but not India. And approximately 200ms to Mumbai AWS.

I'm located in Meghalaya and ping to Mumbai AWS is 300ms+ on BSNL FTTH.
bro that is something serious .. 300ms is too high for mumbai, did you escalate the issue to concerned authorities ? even on adsl connection i dont get that high ping.
I stand by your side, on this ping issue the isp should be able to give a good routing at least in India.(that's the least we could ask)
To be honest you are the first case I'm hearing on this forum with such a high ping on bsnl ftth.
You could escalate the issues on twitter. Over here in Kerala they do provide one of the best routing, if not the best, its close enough to the best one.

Well its been steady since i have taken the connection since Jan and i do have have friends in mumbai and bangalore using the same and havent complained about anything past few months, but sorry about my ignorance. My routing also goes through mumbai.
But lets hope it gets better in the near for North Eastern states. Btw do you have ipv6 configured.?(give it a try ), its being implemented on my place was taken back after lot of complaints on my region. its a mixed reaction some people say the sites take time while loading and few say its been okay.
My personal experience was bad when it was implemented.

@Ameen

AWS and Cloudflare both have data centres in Mumbai. Obviously South Indian users will have low ping to the servers.

IPv6 is not yet deployed in Meghalaya by BSNL. IPv6 will add latency if it's not properly configured by the ISP anyhow.

Have friends in Delhi having the same ping(as mine), Nothing with being in south. Guess the routing might be f**d up in north east. I'm not sure about ipv6 but its not a 300ms lag so if its better than ipv4 then we can give it a try.

Last edited:
Maximum speed during daytime (12 noon till 6 pm) hovers around 6 mbps for a 200 mbps connection. Anyone else facing this issue? Is it because many people are working from home?

Maximum speed during daytime (12 noon till 6 pm) hovers around 6 mbps for a 200 mbps connection. Anyone else facing this issue? Is it because many people are working from home?

Their network has been acting flaky for the past 2 days, ping times to Google DNS have increased from 5-6 ms to 30 ms. I raised a complaint/trouble ticket yesterday but no improvement yet. My pfSense box gives me the RTT (round trip time) and Standard Deviation for each WAN connection.

Back