2012 Asia Cup

• Thread starter Thread starter ajuravi007
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 362
  • Views Views 24,891
Virat will be the captain in the future but I don't feel that it's the right time now to make him the vice captain. In Sehwag's absence (how many times does he sit out due to backspasms), Gambhir was the ideal choice to be the vice-captain.

He has become old..

Gambhir is 30, and I don't see Dhoni leading the side for long. The captaincy of the Indian team in ODIs will go like Dhoni -> Gambhir -> Kohli

I think its the right move - move for the future. He will be VC now so that he starts getting a hang of reaponsibilities, and may be eventually MS will be phased out. Kohli might be given T20 captaincy to begin with, then ODI and then tests.I dont see Gambhir playing good for more than 3-4 years from now. I may be wrong, but it wud be a gamble to make him the captain after MS.

Looking forward, he is the best player in the team. Making him vice captain and then a captain early will be disastrous. India needs better batsmen.We do know last time when the best player of the team was the captain...

I think Gambhir would be considered for Test Captaincy as Virat Kohli is not set as Test Player. Gambhir may be Vice Captain in Tests for now. IF Dhoni is out of Captaincy, Gambhir would be 1st choice, as Sehwag seems to be getting older and also form dipping (he still has chance like Kumble had).For ODI and T20, Kohli could lead in future.

Sehwag has already said that he is not interested in being the full-time captain! That's the reason he had asked GMR to appoint Gambhir as the captain of Delhi Daredevils so that Gambhir gets good leadership qualities before he leads team India in future.

Back