A discussion on poor internet speeds and awful broadband plans in India

• Thread starter Thread starter sunnymatta
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 118
  • Views Views 19,786
puneet28 said:
+1. Assume a condition where you can get caught with single click on torrent or illegal content. What you gonna do with 20-30 MBPS Internet ?? Browsing ?? Come On....
If you think that 20-30mbit/s Internet is all about only browsing or piracy, you have a limited imagination. There could be a world of opportunities for the enterprising person should high-bandwidth services become the norm in India.

Oh god i love reading mgcarley's "Eassy" like replies.I think Mr carley is comparing rural America with modern India(cities like Mumbai,delhi,chennai it's modern for us?) yet we still don't have high-speed internet-packages in most of these cities let alone the whole country. Whereas you get atleast 2mbps in AMERICA unless you are using Dial-up.

meetdilip said:
We lack infrastructure. The BSNL tower in my place does not have 3G, so no penetration and hence low density of users. Principle of mass production gives cheaper rates. If we improve connection density, more ISPs will be able to give good prices. I am not happy with current situation either. But we cannot expect such things in India, people prefer clean drinking water than broadband.
If only that were true. If it were about population density, why don't the metros all have 100mbit/s services available to everyone? Your average Indian city is far more densely populated with Internet users than most other regions on the planet.There are many issues to overcome, many of which I have discovered to my cost and misfortune.

_Chairman_Saab_ said:
Oh god i love reading mgcarley's "Eassy" like replies.I think Mr carley is comparing rural America with modern India(cities like Mumbai,delhi,chennai it's modern for us?) yet we still don't have high-speed internet-packages in most of these cities let alone the whole country. Whereas you get atleast 2mbps in AMERICA unless you are using Dial-up.
The examples about Centurylink DSL was based on Houston, TX and Frontier on St Louis, MO, so no, I'm not comparing rural America with modern India. I am comparing similar places - somewhere like Chicago to somewhere like Mumbai; or some mid-sized town in Michigan to some mid-sized town in Karnataka.FWIW, in the US, Chicago was one of the *worst* Internet experiences in the whole country, even with all the Starbucks and McDonalds and everywhere with free wifi. Even plugging directly in to a Comcast box it was hideous. I actually had better connectivity in some bum-town in Michigan than I did almost anywhere in Chicago.Additionally, like India, prices are generally uniform - I'm going to pay approximately the same for a standard 512k package on BSNL in Jaipur as I will in Trivandrum in the same way I'm going to pay for the basic-rate Broadband on any given ISP (let's take AT&T as an example) in the US.
L0rd_Aryan said:
Ever heard of public/private DNS...no one can track zip/nada/nothing... Also, pay $5 morefor VPN, in US economy, it's the cost of half of their meal for VPN...
Whoever told you this has misled you.

But the global average of india is pretty low compared to the world.Indians have paid excess whether its food, clothing, petrol and even broadband yet we dont get what we expect.

sunnymatta said:
the reason of low density is they do not manufacture those product in india they buy from other countries accourding to our towers its not the right product we have . we dont not manufacture . Chinese firm Huawei they make those products accourting to there towers signal range .this is the reason these products rates are high. and we have problem in connectivity.
Actually, Telcos are required to buy something like 30% of their equipment from Indian manufacturers, they are considering to make this 100%In addition, there is a rather hefty import tax on telecom equipment. That doesn't help.Pity that all the Indian manufactured stuff (including home electronics, not just the telco equipment) I've come across is utter rubbish and breaks faster than a childs toy on christmas morning.Frankly, I'd rather buy Chinese than Indian - at least their copies are of reasonable quality.The way I see it is this: if you're willing to pay me American prices for service, I'm willing to provide you with American level of service... that is to say, don't expect 20mbit/s unlimited for Rs500 any time soon.
sting921 said:
But the global average of india is pretty low compared to the world.
No argument there. IMO, we really need to stop simply pointing the finger and figure out *why* that is. What's stopping India from having better quality of services and speeds?
sting921 said:
Indians have paid excess whether its food, clothing, petrol and even broadband yet we dont get what we expect.
On the petrol, yes, I find that strange (when India has oil and refineries and stuff)... on the rest... it all seems about the same depending on what you're buying (luxury goods are the exception, there is a 52% import duty on that, which is why you often see celebs get stung when they land at the airport after going abroad). Food, while more expensive now than it was 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 years ago, is still pretty cheap by world standards.
guyaborad said:
to add to the second posters point, i have 10 mbps line which gives me more than 15 mbps most of the time and its free !! works like a cherm.. and I used to pay INR 1500 for 2 mbps in India
Who do you think pays for Comhem to install & maintain that line?I assume you live in subsidized student housing, so I sure hope you stay in Sweden after you graduate and pay them some of their taxes back.FWIW, it was the same for me when I lived in Finland, although this is going back several years so it wasn't quite 10mbit/s back then... but I did stay and pay Finnish taxes after I graduated, so, I'm sure I more than made up for it.

^^ I've one liner answer to this debate in my signature.Btw how come beam is offering such insans plans? Any view on this Mr carley :D

_Chairman_Saab_ said:
^^ I've one liner answer to this debate in my signature.
Fingerpointing at the government? Pointless.For the most part, they are a bunch of people who have no fricken idea about Broadband and it's value or even the fact that it's wanted. You could talk to them about it until you're blue in the face and all they'll do is just say "oh" and then offer you Rs100 for your vote in the next election.An attitude not unlike this.Sure, they have made some wonderful plans in the past, but they well over 50% short of the 2004 plan in terms of numbers. Why is that?Local infrastructure is a bitch to lay - and expensive. First you get the government's approval. Then the city. Then the ward. Then the society. And there's ALWAYS going to be someone meddling - whether it's just that he doesn't want his already wonky driveway to have a teeny little 2cm wide cut in it (to be filled with grout) or that he doesn't want his driveway to be obstructed for even 4 seconds despite the fact that he'll be at work all day because he or someone he knows is a VIP somewhere... or the society doesn't want it's fence which is already covered in bird droppings to have a piece of plastic piping screwed to it for cosmetic reasons or... or... or... you need to pay us for electricity (even when the equipment is completely passive and doesn't use any)... the list goes on...And if it's long-haul infra, well, let's just announce the creation of another network because... taxpayers!! Despite the fact that at least 4 government entities have lakhs of KMs of fibre - much of it unused - all over the country... never mind the price per KM that they want to lease capacity is insulting.And fingerpointing at the ISPs? They're just there to make money... most users are uneducated about the availability of services according to the rest of the world, but hey, this is India, and India is *always* different (apparently), so if it's wireless, we blame the spectrum. If it's wired, it's the difficulty of laying new cables or leasing space on existing ones (assuming the owner of said cables likes you, he might give you a price which is slightly less obscene than it would be otherwise).Yeah... it's not just one entity at fault, and they'll all blame each other. I too am guilty of this. So you can imagine the futility of pointing the finger :)

Thats right blaming each other aint gonna get us anywhere but we pay our taxes for better infrastructure and better facilityYesterday I saw some people laying cable on a single lane road...they dug up a maybe 1 or 2 cmd deep line across the road and then laid it out!!. The thing is the way they were working, they were working in low light so cars coming on the road would only spot them when it reached closed to them. Is this the way they do work here?Ive lived in UAE and the work there happens so quick and with great precautions, even when its the busiest roads of the country !!Well apart from the broadband speed. The service is pathetic and these ISP even harass people to get their work done. I remember last time with airtel, harasment calls and on diconnection they would give everything for continuing with them including higher fup for free or waiver off in plans. Serious rules need to be implemented throughout.

sting921 said:
Thats right blaming each other aint gonna get us anywhere but we pay our taxes for better infrastructure and better facility
...yes and no. I doubt as many of your tax rupees go towards infrastructure when compared to other countries, and those that do always go to those builders who have a long history of doing shoddy jobs with substandard materials because they gave the best kickbacks to the decision maker...
sting921 said:
Yesterday I saw some people laying cable on a single lane road...they dug up a maybe 1 or 2 cmd deep line across the road and then laid it out!!
That's called micro-trenching. Popular in built up areas because it creates the least disturbance to the existing surroundings. Sadly, in some parts of Mumbai the people of the area won't even let that happen.
sting921 said:
The thing is the way they were working, they were working in low light so cars coming on the road would only spot them when it reached closed to them. Is this the way they do work here?
Human life doesn't have much value, it would seem.
sting921 said:
Ive lived in UAE and the work there happens so quick and with great precautions, even when its the busiest roads of the country !!
I was in Qatar a couple of months ago and it seems to be more of an attitude difference between the two types of cultures. The Arabs know how to get things done IMO. And they're willing to pay for it.
sting921 said:
Well apart from the broadband speed. The service is pathetic and these ISP even harass people to get their work done. I remember last time with airtel, harasment calls and on diconnection they would give everything for continuing with them including higher fup for free or waiver off in plans. Serious rules need to be implemented throughout.
I disagree with Airtel's "retention" model, but hey, if that's what they need to do.Sad thing is, a lot of people go for it. Only to be screwed over a few months later. Sushubh can testify to that.I don't think the problem is necessarily rules (or lack thereof) - it's that they're allowed to get away with flouting the rules with a minimum penalty. If the penalty outweighed the benefits they get from screwing the customer (and was actually enforced), they wouldn't do it... think about it, if the telcos can screw a customer for a few months to make an extra Rs500, they will, and the penalty for doing that is only Rs300, then... they still win.If the penalty for doing that was say Rs1,00,000, that might deter them slightly.

Back