A discussion on poor internet speeds and awful broadband plans in India

• Thread starter Thread starter sunnymatta
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 118
  • Views Views 19,792
I was just speaking to a guy regarding the attachments I had sent him :tongue: The guy tells me that he is not gonna accept them next time as my email size was more than 1MB :tongue:
I was like wtf :tongue:
must be using Aritel connection i suppose and running out of his FUP ? :tongue:

to add to the second posters point, i have 10 mbps line which gives me more than 15 mbps most of the time and its free !! works like a cherm.. and I used to pay INR 1500 for 2 mbps in India

Some very funny posts in this topic, I can't help but agree with sunny. All these so called ISP's have joined hands too loot peoples money and even after that provide BAD service.when I was in dubai I used to pay 2000rs for 256kbps but after the fiber cable I get 4mbps unlimited at same price,The price is on a higher side but 0 downtime and promised speed make up for it unlike here in India where I had airyel with that craxy plans now with reliance with fail broadband with so many downtime, fibercut, bad support.

sunnymatta said:
in usa they pay 24 dollers per month for 20 mbps unlimited.
It's been said before, but it bears repeating:1. Comparing Broadband in the US to Broadband in India is like Apples to Oranges.2. Broadband in the US is a pretty crappy yard-stick by which to measure quality of service, considering that the US is like #27 in the world rankings or something, there are much higher points for which you should aim if you want to look at decent services.To answer your post, however, no they don't get 20mbit/s unlimited for $24. I'm visiting the USA right now, and I've not seen adverts anywhere for a service that will provide you *any* kind of broadband in that price bracket (not counting the special rates they give for the first 6 months if you sign up for a 2 year contract which legally obliges you to pay like $80 per month thereafter with hefty early termination fees if you cancel early OR unless they're including it as an addon to an already overpriced phone line).More to the point, plans definitely are NOT unlimited. Sure, you can get better plans in the US than in India - the FUP limits are usually 100-300GB depending on the service tier and the provider but it's still limited.I have been to I think 6 or 7 states on this trip so far and on the whole found Internet access in the US (on the whole) to be less than stellar, even in cities like Chicago. Yes, you have pockets of NYC, Kansas City MO, Chattanooga TN and the valley in California where you have the likes of CableVision, Google Fibre, Chattanooga and Sonic.net providing high speed, high quality services but in the rest of the country, it's really not much better than India as far as value goes. Many places still only have 1.5 and 3mbit/s DSL thanks to AT&T and/or the dominant player in the area (Centurylink in the south-west & Frontier in the mid-west for example).Considering that the average Internet package is in the $50-90/month range (unless you go triple-play, then it's more but includes your TV and phone) which is at least 3-4x what you pay in India, they are only getting service that is 3-4x as good, too. Where I am right now, the line is supposed to be 15mbit/s. I'm lucky if I get 10, and during the evenings, lucky if I can even get enough to watch Youtube in 360p resolution (which suggests about 1mbit/s) - that's a pretty significant reduction in service quality considering that 1. This is a business line and 2. Costs $80/month + tax.
sunnymatta said:
and we pay 25 dollers per month for 2 mbps till 10 fking g.b WDF guys you tell .and after 10 g.b over the speed goes to 256 kbps what a joke we live in india hamara bahart mahan.
Be thankful that you get 512k or even 256k after the fact. There are a few developed countries where 64k is the norm after the FUP is reached.For what it's worth, the equivalent residential plan to the line I'm using as I write this is $51 and offers "up to 6 mbit/s". The speed after the FUP limit (which is not directly specified in the FUP documentation) is 150kbit/s.
lilliput222 said:
even if its unlimited , tell us how much freedom they have ?? .. Here no one cares for what u r downloading ..full piracy :pleasantry: . And then there are countries like USA , Norway just one illegal download and u will get notice next day :poop:
Fallacy.In India:1. Piracy of Indian content is against the law, piracy of foreign content, not so much.2. Sites offering pirated materials regularly get blocked.3. The government openly and actively spies on you. ISPs are REQUIRED BY LAW to have the equivalent of room 641a in their NOC4. Law enforcement has been known to crack down on bloggers, activists, journalists and people who say bad things about certain political families. In some cases, they have also got innocents.In the US/Norway/etc:1. Piracy is a civil matter, not a crime - no matter what they tell you. Yes, some people get letters, but they're not "next day"... in the USA I believe they were going for "6 strikes".2. I've seen less blocking of pirate sites in the US and Europe than in India, and often when a site like TPB is blocked, someone opens a mirror or proxy.3. Yes, the NSA spies, but this is no different from almost any other country on any other continent these days.4. There are certain rights granted to bloggers, activists, journalists and people who say bad things about certain political families. Law enforcement doesn't often go around jailing people at random unlike India.

Back