Airtel Broadband Speed on Demand

• Thread starter Thread starter andyz
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 164
  • Views Views 125,770
right the basic concept is... you can get it for an hour or two for special needs.like i need to send some really heavy files to a client... instead of wasting a couple of hours, i can take the 2mbps connection for an hour or two and do the needful. it is not really designed for casual browsing.

I actually like this. Best part about SOD is the 5 minute pulse rate, and that allows one to get the required boost just for as long as required. I wish 8 and 16 Mbps also make their way into this at reasonable rates.

I actually like this. Best part about SOD is the 5 minute pulse rate, and that allows one to get the required boost just for as long as required. I wish 8 and 16 Mbps also make their way into this at reasonable rates.

8/16Mbps cannot be on SOD as to use those speeds, you must be within a very limited distance of the exchange and those speeds are not available everywhere

^ Is that how they are giving the service? Based on the proximity to the exchange? I have read that 16 Mbps speeds are available in 70% of our city, and so I would like to believe otherwise. Additionally, when I had called up Customer Care just to enquire if any equipment change would be required, I was told that the existing equipment would be sufficient.

^ Is that how they are giving the service? Based on the proximity to the exchange? I have read that 16 Mbps speeds are available in 70% of our city, and so I would like to believe otherwise. Additionally, when I had called up Customer Care just to enquire if any equipment change would be required, I was told that the existing equipment would be sufficient.

its available in 70%, but what about the remaining 30%
also, you must be living in a relatively large city, so its available there

i spend 1/2 my time in gurgaon and the other half in manipal
gurgaon - take whichever connection whenever you want
manipal - ofthen they(airtel) are running out of lines, even with most people taking only 256-512kbps connections, and not higher speeds, also speeds>2mbps are not available there, dont know the reason

but in ADSL, wiring distance from the exchange does make a difference

umm...as far as video conferencing is concerned one should keep in mind that they are not boosting the upload rates which will remain the same (or do they upgrade them as well ?)..so that will remain a bottleneck

i was guessing that they would increase the upload rates as wellcould be wrong though

This would be true for 8mbps, but for 16Mbps, you need to ensure that you have an ADSL2+ compatible modem (assuming you're using ADSL).

This would be true for 8mbps, but for 16Mbps, you need to ensure that you have an ADSL2+ compatible modem (assuming you're using ADSL).

That's right, mine is an ADSL 2 compatible modem. I guess that's the reason I was told no equipment change would be required. Coming to the other question about eligibility, I think the proximity to the exchange really means the last node right, since I think Airtel has fiber to the node, and I think they have sufficient number of nodes in the city considering their subscriber base. May be I am wrong...

Back