Airtel Broadband Speed on Demand

• Thread starter Thread starter andyz
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 164
  • Views Views 125,766
i dont think they would like the idea of delivery real broadband connections to their customers at reasonable prices. no matter where they find them.

Well, people on 3G in BSNL have reported speeds in excess of 1 Mbps. So that's atleast a start. Globally, 4G is on the way, and speeds in excess of 10 Mbps aren't completely ruled out.

All the providers offering 3G are offering "up to" 3.1Mbits. "In excess of 1Mbits" is still only ~33% of the promised speed.

4G isn't really a standard yet, but more of an extension on 3G - At the moment 4G will be a combination of WiMax and WiMax-like technologies. They're promising up to 100Mbits while moving, but at the moment realistic speeds are only about 40Mbits, and even then, over relatively short distances.

At this point, we're deploying a 3G-based HSPA network that will be capable of 21Mbits (assuming the device itself supports it) for our mobile customers, and a WiMax network for fixed-location customers, though unlike the other ISPs, though, we won't be using WiMax as a backbone at any point: strictly POP to customer.

Which might not be a bad thing entirely. Reliance is out of ideas, and if they like yours, they might end up offering to buy out / partner this venture.

My price will probably be too high even for Reliance. I'd rather kick their ass in competition than see Indian Broadband suffer. They'd have to offer at least 9-figures (in Euros) for me to consider a buyout. A partnership would be a different story, but I wouldn't want to put myself in the same league as Reliance - they're one of the largest providers in the country and by percentage I see more complaints about Reliance service than their competition.

----------

i dont think they would like the idea of delivery real broadband connections to their customers at reasonable prices. no matter where they find them.

So I also suspect. Which is why I'd have to price myself out of their "buyout budget", as it were.

4G, Wimax, Long Term Evolution... :D there are hundreds of keywords floating around. we are still stuck on sub mbps connectivity.

4G isn't really a standard yet, but more of an extension on 3G - At the moment 4G will be a combination of WiMax and WiMax-like technologies. They're promising up to 100Mbits while moving, but at the moment realistic speeds are only about 40Mbits, and even then, over relatively short distances.

4G is definitely coming, and it is going to be huge, considering it is being backed by 3 of the world's largest providers. As for the speeds, I know that it supports 10 - 12 Mbps, so this information about 40 Mbps sounds interesting. Also, 4G / LTE would provide more coverage than the existing CDMA technology does, allowing for even larger cell sites, in addition to providing better signal quality.

4G is definitely coming, and it is going to be huge, considering it is being backed by 3 of the world's largest providers. As for the speeds, I know that it supports 10 - 12 Mbps, so this information about 40 Mbps sounds interesting. Also, 4G / LTE would provide more coverage than the existing CDMA technology does, allowing for even larger cell sites, in addition to providing better signal quality.

CDMA, GSM and 3G are not the same thing, nor is 4G/LTE. It seems like kbps and kBps, some people are mixing their terminologies. 3G describes a family of standards which covers GSM/EDGE/UTMS, CDMA and more recently WiMax and DECT. The two basic technologies (CDMA/GSM) are not compatible, and even require different model phones (If you have a CDMA phone, don't hope to travel to many places with it - thats why I have a phone for Japan and Korea, and a phone for the rest of the world).

The networks that I'm aware of in India using CDMA are Reliance and Tata (and therefore, potentially Virgin Mobile also), although Reliance now has a GSM network also. The first 3G capable network was introduced by NTT DoCoMo in 2001, branded as "FOMA" (I was in Japan during the launch, which shows just how far behind India is right now).

Essentially, the purpose of the 3G label is to define the data rate at which the network operates. 3G (3GPP/LTE) currently supports up to 21Mbits, and they're testing stuff which will do 42 Mbits. 3GPP/LTE-Advanced are considered to be "pre-4G", since it doesn't quite hit the magical 1Gbit-capable mark - it is these things that are being deployed in the next couple of years, because as mentioned in previous posts, 4G still isn't quite there yet.

4G/Mobile WiMax etc is supposed to deliver up to 100Mbits while moving, but as mentioned, real-world rates are closer to 40-ish. When stationary, they might be a bit higher, but as I understand it, not by much.

For the next few years, what is marketed as "4G" by the likes of Verizon, Sprint and Vodafone is actually simply 3GPP "redefined" - as 3GPP is being built to reach most of the same goals effectively as 4G set out to do, and is likely to actually become the standard later on. Currently, they're up to about 320Mbits. We're building our network to handle at least 21Mbits for now, since this is the fastest commercially available offering at the moment.

DoCoMo is doing some very interesting stuff with MC-CDMA to actually achieve the speeds 4G is after, but it's all very prototypy right now... I wouldn't be surprised, however, if they're the first Gbit capable (effectively, therefore, 4G) mobile network in the world. If we're lucky, I would like for my company to be the first 4G network (or at least, 100+Mbit capable mobile network) in India.

Qualcomm (the primary promotor of CDMA) will be essentially dropping 3GPP2 and joining forces with the 3GPP camp to continue and enhance its development.

As an aside, because of some changes in how we'll be delivering things, we've now got plans ranging from:

[*]512kbits to 21Mbits for mobile (3G v1 capable phones will get 384kbits only, 3G v2 will get up to about 2.5Mbits and the latest models should get 7.2Mbits. For higher speeds, we have a USB-stick).
[*]1mbit to 200Mbit for fixed-line (glorified ethernet - no cable modems or any of that rubbish unless we absolutely cannot avoid it)
[*]1Mbit to 42Mbit for fixed-wireless (which, unlike some other ISPs, is not shared between every WiMax user in the building)
[/list]Prices have gone down a bit - we're not releasing them just yet - but we're almost breaching the under Rs1,000/mbit/month goal.

Hi guys, i have two question :First : i wanted to know how to check how much speed on demand charges they have put on me .Second : I have been using speed on demand many times for atleast 3 month and they haven't charged me yet . so can any body tell what could be the problem .:huh:Thank you,rahul

You can check Ur SOD charges by accessing your Airtel Account page....There u can log in by entering your user name and password......Second, I also can't understand why they r not charging you for SOD:urock: It didn't happened in my case and they charged me for the same:readtherules:So just wait & watch:whistle:

You can check Ur SOD charges by accessing your Airtel Account page....There u can log in by entering your user name and password......

Second, I also can't understand why they r not charging you for SOD:urock: It didn't happened in my case and they charged me for the same:readtherules:

So just wait & watch:whistle:

well that's main problem when click login in airtel.in website . after logging in my account i don't see any option of SOD there :huh:

Back