Airtel Broadband Speed on Demand

• Thread starter Thread starter andyz
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 164
  • Views Views 125,766
This will probably be more useful to Business line connections than individual home connections. How good are their services? do customers get the speed boost at the correct time, imagine scheduling a video conference but not getting the required speed boost at the right time :p.

This will probably be more useful to Business line connections than individual home connections. How good are their services? do customers get the speed boost at the correct time, imagine scheduling a video conference but not getting the required speed boost at the right time :p.

Yes and no. I don't know if you've ever lived abroad (I moved from my native New Zealand to Europe for better internet, before moving to India), but its far nicer to spend 10 minutes for example to download a movie and watching it, than waiting for a day and a half for it to download, leaving the computer on for all that time and so forth and then watching it when its finally finished.

When one has a truly high-speed connection, its more likely that it will be used in bursts, rather than 100% capacity, 100% of the time.

Think about it this way: 20 mbits would allow a theoretical 6 TERAbytes of traffic in a month. But who would even use 10% of that? Who even has 600 gigabytes of hard drive space to use every month? You'd be spending as much - or more - on hard disks as you would on the connection itself.

In other words, a strange sort of paradox arises when true high-speed is allowed: network congestion is essentially REDUCED, because a large transfer is only going for a few minutes at high-speed, rather than several hours at low-speed, and overall this is beneficial to all users.

I've been posting similarly about this issue at https://broadband.forum/broadband-india/47079-2009-and-we-still-stuck-256kbps-broadband-new-post/

thats something we have long desired from our ISPs.high speed connection with decent limits. someone has to find a good meeting point of limits wrt download speeds wrt package price.

thats something we have long desired from our ISPs.

high speed connection with decent limits.

someone has to find a good meeting point of limits wrt download speeds wrt package price.

I'm hoping I've got a good price/service ratio. Positive comments so far.

At the moment, we're planning offerings from 1Mbit right up to 160Mbits, and about 10 gigabytes of downloads (international) per megabit purchased (1Mbit = 10GB, 8Mbit = 80GB etc).

At this point I've got tentative pricing starting at 1Mbit down/256k up, 10GB international data, unlimited local data for about Rs 1349/month - this is still subject to change, but I hope it will stay at about this level, cheaper if possible. At first, will be available in Mumbai, then Maharashtra, then rest of India.

Admin, if I may, I'd like to conduct a little informal poll (as I assume I'm not allowed to post a link to my registration page):
What would you like from your ISP as far as speeds/download limits/price is concerned? (Also, if you mention what you have and approx how much you use now, that might be helpful). Please PM me with comments, suggestions etc.

I have tried their 2 Mbps burst a few times, and each time the speed increase gets reflected in around 10 seconds, and also comes back to normal the moment I stop it. Works beautifully.

Are you part of some ISP?

Ideally, I'd like a 1 Mbit(down) connection and at least 256 kbps up (considering I'm back living in India for a while now).

What sucks though, is the fact that 1 Mbit is considered godspeed here, and that it will almost surely be capped. For this I'm willing to pay up to Rs. 1200 per month. Currently I'm at 256 only because I simply cannot use internet with a download limit. It's like buying a Ferrari with a 30 kmph limiter on it.

My main uses are email (POP3 & Web based), torrent downloads (avg of 200 MB a night), PC2PC VOIP, Web designing (using tools that are on a remote server...so data transfer counts there), and checking out videos on youtube from time to time.

Currently I'm on a 256/256 Airtel for Rs. 799 (plus taxes) a month. No deposit/installation charges have been paid, so that's good. Connection quality is much better than the "local cablewallah", as there is a HUGE difference in the quality of VOIP calls (PC2PC).

(FYI, The cablewallah was charging Rs. 600 for the same package, only that it was an ethernet cable coming right into the house, and one had to log in to the infamous 24Online client. So this posed problems while using with a router, and any troubleshooting meant several calls to the "ISP" as he'd bind the MAC address to Username)

I'm hoping I've got a good price/service ratio. Positive comments so far.

At the moment, we're planning offerings from 1Mbit right up to 160Mbits, and about 10 gigabytes of downloads (international) per megabit purchased (1Mbit = 10GB, 8Mbit = 80GB etc).

At this point I've got tentative pricing starting at 1Mbit down/256k up, 10GB international data, unlimited local data for about Rs 1349/month - this is still subject to change, but I hope it will stay at about this level, cheaper if possible. At first, will be available in Mumbai, then Maharashtra, then rest of India.

Admin, if I may, I'd like to conduct a little informal poll (as I assume I'm not allowed to post a link to my registration page):
What would you like from your ISP as far as speeds/download limits/price is concerned? (Also, if you mention what you have and approx how much you use now, that might be helpful). Please PM me with comments, suggestions etc.

Are you part of some ISP?

I am building an ISP, yes, however it is to be released only after all the governmental rubbish (licensing etc) is fully cleared up.

Ideally, I'd like a 1 Mbit(down) connection and at least 256 kbps up (considering I'm back living in India for a while now).

This would be our most basic plan. Currently it is anticipated that this plan would have a 10GB limit for reasons which I have explained in other threads (in great detail) - to find those posts, click here Broadband Forum India - Search Results. I hope to increase said limits when NIXI brings their prices down (though unfortunately they've not yet given me a date)

What sucks though, is the fact that 1 Mbit is considered godspeed here, and that it will almost surely be capped. For this I'm willing to pay up to Rs. 1200 per month. Currently I'm at 256 only because I simply cannot use internet with a download limit. It's like buying a Ferrari with a 30 kmph limiter on it.

I agree - the speeds and data-caps in India are rubbish. Thats what we're trying to change. I myself only arrived in India fairly recently, having come from Finland - boy do I miss my broadband connections there. I had 2 Megabits on my cellphone, 24 at home and 100 at the office - all unlimited.

My main uses are email (POP3 & Web based), torrent downloads (avg of 200 MB a night), PC2PC VOIP, Web designing (using tools that are on a remote server...so data transfer counts there), and checking out videos on youtube from time to time.

So you would probably be within the proposed usage cap - but even then, I don't plan to charge even close to what the ISPs currently charge, so going even 5GB over that limit won't sting too much.

Additionally, as you might see in other threads, all in-network transfers will not count towards your monthly limit, so assuming you're downloading torrents, if someone else is seeding on my network, you'll still have your 10GB to use for other things.

I'm also in talks with a CDN to help mirror things like Youtube, Facebook, Orkut etc so that visiting these sites won't count towards the cap either.

There are other services to be released in the future (free calling to 100 countries, Video-on-Demand, Music store etc) but they're coming a after the service goes live.

Currently I'm on a 256/256 Airtel for Rs. 799 (plus taxes) a month. No deposit/installation charges have been paid, so that's good. Connection quality is much better than the \"local cablewallah\", as there is a HUGE difference in the quality of VOIP calls (PC2PC).

Naturally. And Airtel may just soon go up in quality - Bharti is nearly finished with their own international cable, so they won't have to purchase so much from Reliance and Tata.

The local cablewala is probably reselling Hathway or IOL. In talking with other ISPs about Hathways backbone, well... I don't know how up-to-date the info is, but, their connections to the outside world seem inadequate to me based on the number of subscribers. I have not confirmed this for myself yet, though.

(FYI, The cablewallah was charging Rs. 600 for the same package, only that it was an ethernet cable coming right into the house, and one had to log in to the infamous 24Online client. So this posed problems while using with a router, and any troubleshooting meant several calls to the \"ISP\" as he'd bind the MAC address to Username)

I've heard about the 24Online client. It causes problems with plenty of things outside of the router. We will be using a login system only for our WiFi connections (usernames and passwords will work for either fixedlines or WiFi - the idea being that you can go to a friends house and use the internet there or even play LAN games without eating in to his bandwidth cap), but it won't be a client - it'll be some kind of browser authentication which I'm modelling on the public access points in Helsinki (which work fantastically, by the way).

All the best to you. From what I've read of your posts, things are certainly looking bright!

2 Mbps connection on your phone in Finland! That much rock. Try getting past 115kbps here ;)

I'd be glad to help in any way that I can.

I am building an ISP, yes, however it is to be released only after all the governmental rubbish (licensing etc) is fully cleared up.

This would be our most basic plan. Currently it is anticipated that this plan would have a 10GB limit for reasons which I have explained in other threads (in great detail) - to find those posts, click here Broadband Forum India - Search Results. I hope to increase said limits when NIXI brings their prices down (though unfortunately they've not yet given me a date)

I agree - the speeds and data-caps in India are rubbish. Thats what we're trying to change. I myself only arrived in India fairly recently, having come from Finland - boy do I miss my broadband connections there. I had 2 Megabits on my cellphone, 24 at home and 100 at the office - all unlimited.

So you would probably be within the proposed usage cap - but even then, I don't plan to charge even close to what the ISPs currently charge, so going even 5GB over that limit won't sting too much.

Additionally, as you might see in other threads, all in-network transfers will not count towards your monthly limit, so assuming you're downloading torrents, if someone else is seeding on my network, you'll still have your 10GB to use for other things.

I'm also in talks with a CDN to help mirror things like Youtube, Facebook, Orkut etc so that visiting these sites won't count towards the cap either.

There are other services to be released in the future (free calling to 100 countries, Video-on-Demand, Music store etc) but they're coming a after the service goes live.

Naturally. And Airtel may just soon go up in quality - Bharti is nearly finished with their own international cable, so they won't have to purchase so much from Reliance and Tata.

The local cablewala is probably reselling Hathway or IOL. In talking with other ISPs about Hathways backbone, well... I don't know how up-to-date the info is, but, their connections to the outside world seem inadequate to me based on the number of subscribers. I have not confirmed this for myself yet, though.

I've heard about the 24Online client. It causes problems with plenty of things outside of the router. We will be using a login system only for our WiFi connections (usernames and passwords will work for either fixedlines or WiFi - the idea being that you can go to a friends house and use the internet there or even play LAN games without eating in to his bandwidth cap), but it won't be a client - it'll be some kind of browser authentication which I'm modelling on the public access points in Helsinki (which work fantastically, by the way).

All the best to you. From what I've read of your posts, things are certainly looking bright!

2 Mbps connection on your phone in Finland! That much rock. Try getting past 115kbps here ;)

Yup, I could stream Youtube in the bus, tram or train. I even was able to work and talk on Skype during a 7 hour train ride from Helsinki to Oulu.

Unfortunately, 3G is still only just coming out here. Our mobile network will rock Reliance and Tatas worlds with speeds of up to 21 Mbps if the device supports it (though most only support 7.2Mbps at the moment). Telstra Australia has this kind of speed, so I figure, why not one-up the big-boys by rendering their new 3.1Mbps offerings obselete?

I'd be glad to help in any way that I can.

Thanks very much. I'll let you know if I could use some help. Everyones support here is really great and inspiration to keep me busting through the red-tape. As it happens, I've noticed Reliance is keeping an eye on me through channels including, but not limited to, Twitter. Maybe they want to be in the know as to what is my next move.

Well, people on 3G in BSNL have reported speeds in excess of 1 Mbps. So that's atleast a start. Globally, 4G is on the way, and speeds in excess of 10 Mbps aren't completely ruled out.

I've noticed Reliance is keeping an eye on me through channels including, but not limited to, Twitter. Maybe they want to be in the know as to what is my next move.

Which might not be a bad thing entirely. Reliance is out of ideas, and if they like yours, they might end up offering to buy out / partner this venture.

Back