Airtel Broadband: Static IP with Airtel

When static IP will be activated, you will loose your pppoe connection for few minutes or hours.

@nishantt6969 I am curious now. How are you traveling home?

Haha. They turned it back to dynamic because testing on static is being done in my city so they removed all the configurations related to Static IP. I will post it as soon as I get it back.

1. Does PPPoE stop working as soon as Airtel assigns static ip?
I having been using static ip for years now ,
Answer to your question -
1. Depends, if you have the Huawei HG8145V5 ONT then you wont face this issue, your PPPoE and Static IP will work.
2. Does Airtel static ip work on bridge mode on another router?
2. Yes, but like i mention Nokia or Alcatel ONT dont have bridge option enabled
3. Can my own router have PPPoE and the Airtel ONT static ip at the same time, obviously on bridge mode?
3. Yes totally but you will require quite a lot of knowledge to actually make that work
4. Can Airtel ONT and my router have the same static ip if the router is in bridge mode?
4. Not sure what you're asking here !
5. Can I ask for two or more static ip from Airtel?
5. Maximum you can have is 2 static IP not more than that.
I hope i have answered your questions! If there is anything let me know!
Have fun tweaking around !!

@nirvanasinha
1. I have Nokia Router and I don't think there is any relation between PPPoE and the router.
2. Nokia has the Bridge option which can be enabled by users themselves and I believe Alcatel also has it.
3. There is not much knowledge required to create a PPPoE connection on bridge mode.
4. If this is not understood, I don't think I can go with any of your answers.
5. People here say- once static ip per connection.

Thank you for your time in posting your inputs.

1. I have Nokia Router and I don't think there is any relation between PPPoE and the router.
So here's the thing, Huawei ONT supports multi-configuration modes and it accepts multiple connections as well, that is why I am able to use PPPoE and Static IP together.
2. Nokia has the Bridge option which can be enabled by users themselves and I believe Alcatel also has it.
If you can share some pictures for this that would be great!
3. There is not much knowledge required to create a PPPoE connection on bridge mode.
Yes, you do, because some routers don't accept you normal passwords, and they need to be converted to a 64bit mapping scheme to actually work, also airtel doesn't share PPPoE password with the user, so eventually, you don't want you PPPoE profile to get deleted. Eg of such router (D-Link 825b Russian Model, Tp-link TL-R605, Etc)
4. If this is not understood, I don't think I can go with any of your answers.
4. Can Airtel ONT and my router have the same static ip if the router is in bridge mode?
No offense but this was a really stupid question because once you have bridge mode, it eventually means your ONT is working as a fiber to ethernet converter where your Airtel ONT is converting fiber signals to ethernet, and after that, your router is the only POA.
See the snip I have shared.

5. People here say- once static ip per connection.
If you want a snip of this I can share this. I have 2 Static IP's with me and they updated the fare now its 99+tax

I hope I have answered your questions now! If there is anything let me know!
Thank you for your time in posting your reply.

@nirvanasinha
1. I got what you are saying. Most of the Gigabit or Good routers support that. You can have a secondary connection defined with your PPPoE dialup. Sorry If I was not clear in my question, I meant to ask If Airtel provides static IP, do they stop the PPPoE dialup for the user as we know they do not provide Static ip on PPPoE? Again, My question was not related to ONT/routers, we can connect our own router on the bridge and have PPPoE and static ip together if it's supported by Airtel, No need to worry about the ONT model provided by Airtel.

2. Screenshot-2021-04-29-212850

3. User name you can see in Airtel ONT and the password is your Airtel account number. This is posted here on the forum many times.

4. You might not be aware but Airtel provides an option to have multiple PPPoE. You can set any ONT port to bridge mode. Connect your own router to that ONT port. Create PPPoE dialup with the username and password I just told (also set Internet VLAN to 100) and, voila! You are connected to the Internet. You will have multiple public IPs assigned dynamically to each PPPoE connection. So In my question, I meant whether the same IP could be used on multiple devices or not.

I hope this clears your doubts about my questions.

Last edited:
@Gokul Kannan This is true. But two devices can have different private ips and share the same public ip under NAT. I read somewhere in the forum Airtel is now not giving public ips. If Airtel is directly configuring devices to static public ip, then you are right it cannot be used on another device. But if the ip is configured under NAT for sharing, then it's possible. I think I messed up in writing down my queries.

Back