Airtel IPTV Ownership Experience

• Thread starter Thread starter urb0nd
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 246
  • Views Views 128,177
Status
Not open for further replies.
..and you are paying Rs.400 per month for this service, is that right ?Never thought i would find my cable wallah with only 50% service record looking better here :O

i was going for airtel iptv but i planned to go for digital cable by local cablewalaIn my area digicable provides 182+ channels via set top boxno signal loss at all,awesome clarityprice rs 250/- p.m.

- About 80GB HDD in my STB of which about 40 gig is available for recording. Gives me a fair amount of recording space. (Does this IPTV STB has an inbuilt HDD?).

No, but they have time shift channels. You get access to past 7 days programming on these channels without the need for manual recording. The data is stored on Airtel servers and are fetched from there. 12 channels are currently available in Time Shift.

- Timer recording (I can go out for weeks without missing that important match or movie).

For Time Shift channels, EVERYTHING is available.

- Twin tuner. I have used a quad LNB and connected each tuner separately. Hence I can view and record any pair of channel irrespective of the transponder and polarity.

Nope.

- Pause (same as time shift)

works on channels which are in time shift category.

I am sure many of the issues you guys are facing are initial technical glitches. I remember the days when I first purchased the DishTV DVR. It used to reboot every 30 secs :wall:. That went on for almost 3 months till they gave a firmware upgrade for the DVR. Now try to imagine that experience. Fortunately I also had the cable as a backup.
I wish they had a similar firmware upgrade for their customer service .

Looks like Airtel IPTV is in its infancy. Hopefully their teething problems will be resolved before they go for a nationwide launch. What I could have hoped is that they came up with a better feature list for their STB which compares with a standard DVR, instead of limiting themselves to just server side time shift capabilities.
ISPs like AT&T, Verizon already have multi-room capable DVRs for IPTV. (Verizon has one with 4 tuners).

My reason for looking at Airtel is simply one:
My experience with Airtel's customer service is simply "FANTASTIC" :thumb:(with their broadband connection).

Is anybody from Airtel IPTV watching this thread?

So here I decide finally to defer my Airtel (or any) IPTV subscription:cry: until these teething problems are resolved and this niche technology stabilizes itslef and gets matured. Guys believe me it was really painful to decide against going this as TSTV really attracted me.Thanks friends for your inputs and a big thanks to admin.

Well. Airtel IPTV is NOT in infancy. They had been testing it for at least 2 years in some areas of Gurgaon.

That is the reason they are so confident of it at launch. BSNL and MTNL are relying on third party to deliver their IPTV services.

That is why I am pretty much shocked to see these initial problems with Airtel especially when there is no question of ANY network congestion especially when they do not have many customers at the moment.

A couple of airtel guys arrived at my place after I had filed a complaint on Saturday.

They stayed here for around two hours. Checked the entire wiring and settings on the device.

The problem did not reoccur today (blah) so i could not really show them what problems i had been facing in the last couple of days.

the good thing was that they did not just leave because the problem was not reoccuring today.

they said they would stay in touch in the coming days to keep a check on any more problems i face in the coming days.

i am hoping that the thing works fine for me because its a pain to complain and deal with it. :(

---------- Post added at 03:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 AM ----------

i have mailed the ids of some senior airtel dudes to the other person in this thread who is facing problems with his airtel iptv connection.

let's hope his problems are resolved soon enough.

An engineer again came to my house and stated that they have completed the updation activities at their server end due to which all the problems had arisen for some of the customers. Thankfully, it appears he is correct this time as I have not faced any problems since yesterday. However, another glitch I noticed was a ticker which is running on some Time Shift channels, stating that they have added new movies for viewing and that one can view them by going to Airtel Live -> ITV. However, there is no option in ITV for viewing movies, and the Pay Per view content is rather viewed through another menu. Even there, no new content is to be seen. It again gives a bad impression about the guys who are running the show, and it appears that they are not even aware of their own menu structure.

good to hear that the problems seem to be over at your place for the time being.the service at my place was also fine yesterday.as for additional services, i am not really bothered about them. pay per view can turn into a messy deal in the end due to faulty billing mechanism. :)but yea, airtel iptv menu system is a mess and it took me a while to get used to them. as of now, i use the time shift shortcut to get to my star world programs which remains the most used feature of the connection :)

Hey Admin!!...how is it going now-a-days??I am somehow not able shoe-off this from my mind.....I need a broadband connection without fail by this month end.....and this is making me really crazy!!.....Pl. dont be too harsh on Airtel!!....i m really keen to get this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back