Airtel is rolling out IPv6 on their wired broadband services

Why do you guys want IPv6? Just because it's newer? I'm curious.

I'm perfectly happy with my static IPv4.

Problem is that now you can no longer connect from outside to home/office Server / RDP etc. due of CG-NAT on IPv4.

To avoid NAT. Every device on your network needs a s̶t̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶a̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶t̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶e̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶l̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶e̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶s̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶s̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶ stateful connecting tracking system called NAT. All the devices share your single static public ipv4.

Many RTP, UDP protocols hate the idea of NAT and had to create several work arounds over time to work with it. Ipv6 eliminates the need for all that, and has the potential to greatly improve routing and latency. It's tbh long overdue and the excitement is that it's finally happening.

Last edited:
Bridge mode seems to be broken on the ZTE ONT atleast, VoWifi doesn't connect and I can only ping IPv6 addresses but connections fail. I've emailed them, let's see what happens.

Dualstack WAN config on the ZTE ONT
Airtel-dualstack-wan-censored.jpg
Does your config stays like this after powering off and starting the ONT... because my config changes back to only IPv4 after restarting. Even after pressing that Apply button.

You just need to create a new config and it'll be persistent, as you can tell by name, mine is also a custom config.

Back