Airtel Xstream Airfiber overview/mini review

ISP
Airtel FTTH
Got the Airtel Xstream Air fiber around 10 day ago (currently not feeling well so just a short summary/review for now)

It seems to be based on FG360-EU module which itself seems to be based on mediatek T750 chipset (seems to be a pretty capable chipset)
Has fallback to 4G as well (at least in the model Airtel provides)

It's suprising pretty stable with good upload speed, this is generally what I get, even on international servers

f0585daa-aaf6-4b35-9566-616de12c1531.png

The webui seems to be pretty much a modified Luci theme running openwrt, firewall rules can be changed in a similar way (including making ipv6 clients publically accessible)

It has 3 LAN port and 1 LAN/WAN port, all of them are at least a gigabit and the LAN/WAN is probably a 2.5 Gbit port (not fully sure, will have to check)

It starts acting as an AP/bridge if you attach a device already handing out DHCP addresses to it's LAN/WAN port, which is supposed to be it's advertised "failover" feature, again will need to test more regarding that and update

Wifi speed as shown on the webui is 2.4 Gbps at 80 MHz, which seems to indicate a 4x4 setup (no 4x4 device to test that speed though)

Has 3.3TB fup which can be viewed in the Airtel thanks app

Will add more information soon, any questions/queries are welcome

Last edited:
This seems interesting, unfortunately it does not seem the chip supports mm wave. The 4G addition seems nice, hope we can use it while roaming.

Looking forward to an in-depth review from you.

It does support roaming according to the Airtel guys I got it from, so pretty useful in that regard
And yes, no mmwave support, though without an external antenna (which it doesn't have) mmwave would be rather useless (as it's an indoor device)

Yeah, mmWave would be useless without external antenna. I am impressed with the upload speeds though

It says 5G unlimited so, when and if it switches to 4G is it chargeable?

Also, your image says unlimited calls, how does one make that? Does it have a rj11 port?

Lastly are they provisioning, postpaid or prepaid accounts or is it optional?

I believe that "5G unlimited" is the same bs marketing like they do for fiber. 3.3TB is "unlimited"

From the T&C it looks like it wont be a thing forever

• This is an introductory offer for our customers to experience high speed 5G data
  • Customers who have 5G-enabled devices and have latched onto the Airtel 5G Plus network can now enjoy Unlimited 5G Data.
  • Customers need to claim the Unlimited 5G Data offer from Airtel Thanks App.
  • All Airtel Prepaid customers who recharge with Unlimited packs starting from Rs239 and above are eligible to claim and experience unlimited 5G Data. To enjoy continued benefits, customers need to recharge with eligible pack. Please note prepaid packs Rs455 and Rs1799 are not eligible for getting Unlimited 5G Data benefits.
  • This offer is also available for all Postpaid customers and can be claimed on Airtel Thanks App
  • Unlimited 5G Data is over and above the existing Data quota in respective plans for both prepaid and postpaid.
  • It is clarified and stated that these offers are only meant for personal and non-commercial use only. Airtel reserves the right to end / suspend / modify the Offer / services in specific cases of commercial use, or any fraudulent use.
  • Sharing of Data where the customer has activated the Unlimited 5G Data shall not be allowed via mobile hotspots.
  • Airtel 5G plus is available in selected areas, depending on the network availability unlimited 5G data can only be used in 5G Network areas.

@Lolita_Magnum 4G isn't seperately chargeable afaik, is deducted from the 3.3TB quota (have only use like a 1-2 GB on 4G, can force 4G using the webui, should be fully sure once I get the bill)

Only postpaid for now, pricing is same as fiber 100 Mbps plan (799+tax) but needs 6 months advance rental, at least for now

They sim they provide with the device can't be used anywhere else apart from the Airfiber device (interchangeable with other Airtel airfiber units), and vise versa (can't use a mobile sim in it)

And currently no voice support, nor it has any rj11 port

How are the speeds on 4G? Are they any better than smartphone? Asking this because if it supports roaming then it will keep switching b/w 4G and 5G as per network availability.

@Rehan Kumar did you just buy from the store directly? I mean do they offer a home visit to do a test run to check speed etc before you sign up?

I remember back when they were providing 4g WiFi CPE Huawei b310 they came to my house (Pune) to test it out before I signed up.

I still have the device and 399 plan active lol after all these years. Can't wait for AirFiber to start here.

Back