Airtel Xstream Fiber Installation Queries

ISP
BSNL
Airtel Fiber
Finally Airtel fiber launched in my town (LCO), I applied for the connection but they denied the request stating far from distribution box. One of the nearest fiber connection is at ~350 meters, they said connection would be possible If I could pay for the extra fiber for which I agreed.

Now they asking me to buying 4F optical fiber, a friend of mine got the connection in the next town by paying for extra cabling got away with 2F cable. The price difference is ~4 Rs, I need around 350 meters of cable. What is the difference between them? Is the LCO tricking me?

Also does 350 meter affects ping, speed & reliability? I'm looking to go for 300Mbps plan.

My town is very small, I mean Airtel has ~150 connections in my entire town. So I don't think they would expand anytime soon.

Also does 350 meter affects ping, speed & reliability?
It won't affect ping, speed as it is optical fiber afterwall, even few kilometers of fiber wont make a difference unless laid/hanged properly. For reliability, yes you may face regular downtimes as the cable will be overhead only, and the risk of it being cut is high.

Well Airtel has some dispute with the LCO agreements. Their cut has been reduced from 25% to 15% or something like that. So that might cause you some hassle initially getting a connection. They are not sanctioning new connections in Bangalore atleast

See they don't need anymore than a single core single mode fiber to supply your house. I can't even understand why you friend acquiesced to buy 2F cable

This is a typical thing LCOs do to expand their network. Get people to pay for multi core fiber such that they can extend their networks at the customer's cost and then claim installation expenses from the ISPs also, as well as revenue share monthly, which they claim is for maintenance. As far as I've seen here, when a fiber cable snaps, the maintenance money is obtained from the downstream households. It's really shady and daylight fraud.

See they don't need anymore than a single core single mode fiber to supply your house. I can't even understand why you friend acquiesced to buy 2F cable
They were like 2F is minimum for a new connection, or else you can't get the connection. BSNL in his area sucks, he had no other option.

Back