BEWARE ACT is adding false GBs to FUP (download limit) usage

How many people faced the problem of exaggerated data usage with Act?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am using ACT in Bangalore and the thing I noticed is during regular usage it reports correctly but when you download a large file (like a torrent), ACT then bumps up the usage much more than the file size is.

For example, if I downloaded a movie of 5GB, it reports ~7GB. Now, thats a substantial incorrect reporting. Sadly, nothing that can be done about it.

Well I've not paid much attention to this at all but it felt as if my data usage was also showing more than the actuals in recent months but I anyways didn't bother to do much because I hardly even reach half of my 125gb limit even after my family members stream directly from YouTube and similar sites.

*Another issue in tracking my usage is WiFi usage, BitMeter has good centralized network options for PC's but not for mobiles.
+ There are 4+1(Frequent Visitor) computers and 4+1 mobiles using the network [emoji14]

I am using ACT in Bangalore and the thing I noticed is during regular usage it reports correctly but when you download a large file (like a torrent), ACT then bumps up the usage much more than the file size is.

For example, if I downloaded a movie of 5GB, it reports ~7GB. Now, thats a substantial incorrect reporting. Sadly, nothing that can be done about it.
To be fair, I downloaded large gbs of games like fallout 4 and sims4 and whatnot. So that might have resulted in increased usage. Dunno whether steam downloads also gets counted wrongly at their end.

*Another issue in tracking my usage is WiFi usage, BitMeter has good centralized network options for PC's but not for mobiles.
+ There are 4+1(Frequent Visitor) computers and 4+1 mobiles using the network [emoji14]
I know. Thats why I disconnected the cable from router and used it directly from pc so that bitmeter can count the data accurately.

The extra 2 GB was downloaded to your computer since you're part of the torrent swarm. That 2 GB chunk of file was probably requested by someone else so you got it first and then someone else. Think of it like a daisy chain. That's how distributed P2P works. This will happen more if you have a better/faster connection.

But I set my upload speeds to zero. And just let a single popular torrent seed for ~100gb to maintain my ratio. And uploads don't count in ACT ..atleast in hyd

But I set my upload speeds to zero. And just let a single popular torrent seed for ~100gb to maintain my ratio. And uploads don't count in ACT ..atleast in hyd

Your client is downloading bad data. The MPAA/RIAA are known to deliberately poison popular torrents.The bad data will fail the hash check and so the program will be forced to download data again. Use a program that bans bad peers and seeds. Like utorrent.

The extra 2 GB was downloaded to your computer since you're part of the torrent swarm. That 2 GB chunk of file was probably requested by someone else so you got it first and then someone else. Think of it like a daisy chain. That's how distributed P2P works. This will happen more if you have a better/faster connection.

Pretty certain this is not the case with me. I download from a private torrent site and usually I am the only leecher. Plus, it can't be happening each and every time I download a large file. After months of of casual observation, I am quite certain it is an issue at ACT's end.

Back