BSNL Broadband Routing Issue [High Latency + Low Speeds]

• Thread starter Thread starter AgentX
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 108
  • Views Views 26,813
from kolkata to chennai - around 40msfrom vizag which is half way through - more than 600ms only happens with bsnl i guess !

I've been experiencing similar slowdown in my BSNL connection last 3-4 weeks. And it has significantly worsened since beginning of March. I'm on 2Mbps plan. Some of the relevant metrics are below. Is my issue similar to that of the OP. Is there something I can do to rectify this outside of BSNL control.
ADSL Modem Model: UT-300R2U
ADSL Firmware Version: E.37.5.3
Line State: Showtime/Data
Modulation: Multimode
Local/Remote Tx Power: 1.11 dB / 1.76 dB
[TABLE="class: grid, width: 500, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD]
Item
[/TD]
[TD]
Downstream
[/TD]
[TD]
Upstream
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
SNR Margin
[/TD]
[TD]
35.0 dB
[/TD]
[TD]
19.0 dB
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
Line Attenuation
[/TD]
[TD]
11.0 dB
[/TD]
[TD]
7.0 dB
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
Loss of Signal
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
CRC Errors
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
Data Rate
[/TD]
[TD]
2048 kbps
[/TD]
[TD]
512 kbps
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
Latency
[/TD]
[TD]
Interleaved
[/TD]
[TD]
Interleaved
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

https://www.speedtest.net/https://www.speedtest.net/

Ping times haven't degraded much from what they used to be earlier. Just the bandwidth has taken a huge hit in recent times.
Tracing route to google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

I first noticed when torrents and streaming video slowed down a lot. Any other way to check direct download.Update: A direct download from Microsoft maxed out at 30 KB/s similar to speedtest results. Earlier I used to get consistent speeds over 200 KB/s.

Well, your speed does seem affected, torrents indicate that. Your line stats are good. File an online complaint. Email NOC. Nothing else you can do.If it still isnt fixed, move on to some other isp

Is there any other way to probe this further from my end. A general complaint to BSNL hasn't helped much in the past. However if I can give them some pointers on where the issue might be, I have found them helpful.

Quick question: which 2mbit/s plan are you on? Is it possible that you've passed your FUP?

Whoa! Now what's this??

C:\>tracert google.com

Tracing route to google.com [74.125.236.201] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 4 ms 3 ms 2 ms 192.168.0.1
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 1185 ms 425 ms 9 ms 117.194.64.1
4 870 ms 837 ms 9 ms 218.248.162.74

Quick question: which 2mbit/s plan are you on? Is it possible that you've passed your FUP?
Plan ULF 1100. The plan was retracted sometime back. FUP starts at 10GB.

Your question got me thinking about something. I try to bunch my big downloads towards the end of a billing cycle. It gets me a 24hr window to download at Maximum speeds irrespective of FUP limit. I guess the servers do not trigger FUP on the fly. They could possibly need the session to end before they recalculate total bandwidth consumption. I usually remember to end the session before end of billing cycle. But last month, the 24hr session spilled over to the new billing cycle. I'm wondering if that messed up the FUP calculator somehow. I tried to check the BSNL usage Portal now, but the usage details are disabled at this hour. Got to check back daytime. I'm pretty sure usage has been under limit for this month but to answer your question correctly I need to look up the usage figures in BSNL portal.

Update: Usage stats from BSNL Portal
[TABLE="class: grid, width: 500, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Service Name[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Account #[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Service User ID[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Total Download Volume (GB)[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Total Upload Volume (GB)[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Total Volume (GB)[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Total Duration (HH:MM:SS)[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Chargeable Units (GB) excluding Night Unlimited[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Broadband[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]###[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]###@bsnl.in[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]1.49[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.15[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]1.64[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]65:05:44[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.00[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

I had an update from our BSNL exchange earlier today that a few others in our locality have also complained about this slowdown issue. They are looking into it but not able to ascertain what could be causing it. What is common is the slowdown is not random but stepped down to a constant 256 kbps. They have verified our usages are below FUP limit for the cycle. I'd imagine the issue is being discussed around the offices and chain of command till it reaches the ears of someone knowledgeable to figure it out.

Back