BSNL Broadband seems to have blocked SSH Port 22 on their network

I Hope you guys reached out to BSNL, please let us know of any progress if any

Hello all, this issue is affecting developers across the country! We have all been badly affected by it. I request all of you to use the hashtag #BSNLPort22 on twitter to raise awareness. Let us together request BSNL for our rightful access to port 22! Address your Tweets to @CMDBSNL and @BSNLCorporate

I am from Madhya pradesh, i am facing same problem from 27th july, I have visited my nearest BSNL office and consult my problem with SDO of BSNL and he also don't know about it i am so strange that no one know about that, How BSNL give entry for those people who dont know anything about networking because this is a basic thing that to connect on any remote host we need ssh with port 22 but no one BSNL employee know about it then I was connect with GM too i found his number and then he also not able to help me now i am soo frusted because if the GM is not able to help me then who one help me I have the GM number and name i will post later then i thought may be BSNL customer care will help but there also no one know about this so strange SHAME on all BSNL Employee that they don't know about the basic thing of networking.

well... you are missing one bit here. port 22 has been disabled throughout the country. so it is not a regional thing that is under any SDO or GM's hands. bsnl and mtnl routers got hacked and they seem to have responded like a government body... ban the damn thing. i do not see anything coming out of it. ban seems intentional. and i do not see why it would be temporary. it's not like they would magically fix the insecurity on their network. ssh is probably used by less than 5% customer base throughout the country. you are not reading about it in mainstream media. no amount of complaining would change the facts. it would be enabled when the technical people at the top of the chain would decide that they are ready to enable it back on. no one at your local exchange is unlikely to be in a position to do anything about it.

Yes, from August 1st ssh has been blocked, no help from AE and any person from BSNL. There was a malware outage, called brickbot, which logged into to chinese supplied BSNL routers with default password and bricked the router by writing onto firmware. And BSNL intelligently blocked all outgoing and incoming SSH/telnet connections, I guess 22,23,24. The way around is, to run SSH on a different port, other ports are not blocked. Or to use a proxy server, where SSH is run at port 80, and you connect to other servers via a hop to the SSH running at port 80. Seriously dont know what intelligent person was behind this move.

Now i can access my server through SSH.:angel:
I have solved this by adding a new port for ssh instead of port 22.
I am using Amaz0n's AWS EC2 service and my os is Ubuntu, you can follow this to open new port for SSH.
First you need to open ssh from other than BSNL broadband.

1. sudo su
2. nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config
3. Add "Port 33" below the line contains Port 22 and save file (you can use any number instead of 33 within port range)
4. sudo systemctl restart ssh.service

If you own the server it may help you, Thanks.... ;)

Last edited:

Back