BSNL Broadband seems to have blocked SSH Port 22 on their network

If you manage a large number of servers, it isn't convenient to open additional port in each of the server. In this case, open additional port in only one server and then use that server as proxy to connect to the other servers. :)

Most managed hosts (such as GoDaddy) do not open additional ports. In this situation, go ahead and use a free VPN. Most free VPN provide enough bandwidth to run SSH throughout the month. Just make sure, you don't use it to watch videos or to download large files.

If anyone still has trouble accessing your sites or servers in BSNL broadband, please write a reply here.

Anyway, to lighten-up things, let me share a funny tweet...

Source

BSNL to secure its network with Rs 100 crore spend - ET Telecom

"It was a docile kind of activity which influences only when there is a remote access to systems. We acted swiftly and have blocked entry of malware by cutting remote access for all subscribers,” Shrivastava said."

As per BSNL Network team, due to recent malware attacks, some of the ports are blocked by BSNL for security reasons .

As per the instructions from NOC , for port opening the following details are required from affected customers .

1)Customer Name 2)Company :relievedface:IP details (ILL /BB/FTTH ) 4)Ports to be accessed and opened 5)Purpose of the access 6)whether access would be within the country or outside the country .

Kindly share the same .

Thats the answer i got from BSNL

yes they have blocked outbound port 22 traffic (its a packet drop stratergy , but cahnging the port to anyother port will work)(accross all BSNL network (broardband atleast))

I dont think this is a good excuse , so i intend to start a campaign on twitter/facebook called #bsnlprivateorbetterlets make this campaign more important and clean up BSNL network or have it made private so atleast when we think BSNL we should not think GOVT entity , please share this post so that we can clean the problems or force them to clean by going private

Looks like at least in PUNE BSNL has unblocked port 22.. I just checked now. I could login to AWS ec2 using ssh

What do you guys think, is this the right approach for an ISP to thwart intrusion or any malware attack, are there any networking/security Guys who can enlighten us?

What i think , is lets pursue this , so stupid desicions like this can never be taken atleast by BSNL , if enough people push sincerly , no need to actually going to bsnl and register complains just one place to complain is enough, that way all ISP's will understand and take a lesson from once BSNL is put in its place all others will follow

which is the reason why "I dont think this is a good excuse , so i intend to start a campaign on twitter/facebook called #bsnlprivateorbetterlets make this campaign more important and clean up BSNL network or have it made private so atleast when we think BSNL we should not think GOVT entity , please share this post so that we can clean the problems or force them to clean by going private"

Back