BSNL - EVDO - Usage - Review and everything about it

• Thread starter Thread starter MediaFire
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 244
  • Views Views 92,160
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I live in Adyar, Chennai. I'm looking forward to buying an EVDO connection, for the no FUP unlimited plan. How do I go about getting one? Can I walk into the customer support cell at the exchange and ask for a new connection? What about modems? Do I take what BSNL offers or can I get better ones outside?
My apartment is about 1 km as the crow flies from the Adyar exchange. Can I expect reasonable speeds (around 1.5 to 2 mbps)? Is anyone in this forum living nearby. I'd like to try out the connection before buying one.
Cheers!

It all depends upon the intervening obstructions between the modem and tower and network congestion. I am living in Porur within 500 meters from EVDO tower. For me the speed varies from 250 to 1300 kbps.
Just go to nearest customer service center to get new connection. You may opt for prepaid GENERAL PLAN with customer owned modem scheme (not bundled scheme) which is more flexible. You can purhase the modem at customer service center itself. They may charge Rs950/= for modem and another Rs.500/= towards ruim card and activation charges. Initially you can subscribe for Rs.170/= STV for 1.5 GB with one month validity and check the speed and EVDO performance at your location. You can also subscribe at your convenince for one day unlimited package for Rs.55/=and check the performance at different times of the day.

After weeks of head-banging I finally and luckily got a BSNL EVDO demo today.
The data card used was ZTE A8700. This is what I got:
Speed at Bsnl exchange: 1.2-1.5 Mbps constantly.
Speed at my home: kept fluctuating from 144 kbps to 1.1 Mbps.

Now the thing is I don't want 3.1 Mbps, I can very well be satisfied by a 1.2 Mbps connection but I do want constant speed with no fluctuations.
Now I am planning to buy a better data card such as Huawei EC306 or Sierra 598U (any ideas where to get them from?) which both are said to be way better than Zte A8700.

So could I get good and preferably stable speeds if I use a top class data card & should I still go for a connection?

Other factors:
I am aware that congestion may effect speeds of Evdo. But I am pretty much sure that there aren't more than 10 (if any) users of Evdo in my area. So congestion shouldn't be a problem.
Distance from my house to Bsnl tower - 600 meters.

Now I am planning to buy a better data card such as Huawei EC306 or Sierra 598U (any ideas where to get them from?) which both are said to be way better than Zte A8700.

So could I get good and preferably stable speeds if I use a top class data card & should I still go for a connection?

Other factors:
I am aware that congestion may effect speeds of Evdo. But I am pretty much sure that there aren't more than 10 (if any) users of Evdo in my area. So congestion shouldn't be a problem.
Distance from my house to Bsnl tower - 600 meters.

Both data card good but not working bsnl evdo
With Ec306/any huawei mode you connecte in 1x mode but not in evdo mode
With sierra you have to configure it
If u do it with ur self its illegal
N if u go to bsnl to the same
(Its very very tricky job)
Go with prithvi aur ac8700 with extrnl antenna

But they are known to be wonderful for BSNL evdo. Anyways I went ahead and bought RUIM for 350 INR. I had a ZTE AC2746 which I unlocked and tried to use but in vain.

Now I am really skeptical in buying any third party modem but I know that modems provided by BSNL (white colored ZTE modem) wouldn't do the wonders I need. Really messed up now.

Also at BSNL office I was told that I can bring the sim-less modem to them if I want it configured.

PS: Off-Topic: Does anyone know what the hell happenned to this site's UI?

As i told u bsnl evdo is wroking with selected modem
Same prob with 2746 is only 1x mode
If bsnl people assured u
He can configure
Den go with sierra

Or go with zte ac2766 unlocked
Available at ebay

Last edited:
Yeah they said they will but can't trust them. Also sierra is way too costly on ebay.in. Anyone with spare Sierra 598U. I can only give 1500 rs. because it's a gamble for me.

So another ZTE seems to be the only option. Can you tell me something about it's signal and overall quality. As I already said I got very fluctuating speeds in demo with AC8700 which I think is worse than all these newer modems. So compared to that where does AC2766 stands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back