BSNL - EVDO - Usage - Review and everything about it

• Thread starter Thread starter MediaFire
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 244
  • Views Views 92,160
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys
I never knew such a Service existed in BSNL.After all my desperate attempts to get wired internet in chennai(medavakkam) were in vain,I opted for Reliance netconnect+.Was pretty costly,1450PM for 15 gb.Ima guy who downloads abt a 100gb a month was never satisfied by their services,but had no option until I saw this thread.
Found out that I was pretty close to the tower and I took the risk of buying the modem cuz BSNL was the worst service provider in my opinion with zero customer care.True that!I went to the exchange in medavakkam,People there had no idea and asked whats EVDO!They asked me to contact a Customer service center.I went to Adyar BSNL CSC which is the HQ of chennai BSNL.The officer there said no EVDO here and asked me to go upto Guindy CSC to get one.After running from post to pole,Went there and enquired,the officer there was sure no UNLIMITED plan exists.After a tough argument and proving him wrong I finally got the modem(prithvi UE100 rev.a) paying 959 and registering for prepaid EVDO connection.
Came home and plugged in the modem.Sure it was the deciding point of my entire struggle.I had 3-4 bars of signal, but it always returned the error "Username and password not authorized".Ok.Customer care now?Literally none.Called 044 29000123 and finally a lady answered after 5 attempts.UID was last 8 digits of RUIM [email protected],Pass last 8 digits of RUIM number.
Recharge
Since it was prepaid still could not connect due to insufficient balance.After some trial and error recharge worked on Paytm by selecting BSNL mobile recharge,talktime 825.Finally connected to the internet.
The speeds are inconsistent but usually above 512 kbps tp 2 mbps.Pretty Decent for the buck paid.A week of usage by plugged into my TP-Link MR3020,and about 5 devices connected on WiFi,the experience so far is so good.Enjoying an Unlimted connection after a Long time. :peaceful:
Without this forum,I would have never known this service existed and would have sadly continued on 15GBPM and 144kbps afterward. Thanks to you guys at the forum, you really are the customer support of bsnl.Bsnl owes you guys :pleasantry:

Yeah bro.
Initially even speeds were highly inconsistent for me.
Now after figuring out different positions and setting it up on a jar etc with trial and error methods,now i notice speeds of 1mbps+ 100% of the time and 1.6mbps 50% of the time.
Seriously,its been just a few weeks since i got this ,initially i was getting 1.2-1.6~mbps in the night and often speeds used be crazy below 700kbps,
And i started to beleive it was because of the tower overload,
I would get 3 bars and 4 at times.
Later after a week i noticed getting 1.6mbps during daytime and less than 1 in d night.
Now i've realised 1.2~+ is available all the time..its just about how to place the modem,disturbances in the room,etc,
However only 0.5m extension cable works with prithvi modem for me.
I have a ZTE AC2766 unclocked modem too,but prithvi modem provides more stable speeds according to me..
N yeah,specially for heavy downloaders,its a boon,considering the wierd FUPish plans we have in chennai.
For 55 bucks(2 day pack) i can easyily download 12-25gigs ..
But yeah,it does take time ..720mb-1gig an hour.
Torrents provide slightly lesser speed than direct downloads (less by 20kb/sec due to bandwith loss).
Idm gives a max speed of 300-310
Torrent gets upto 260-270max but stabilises around 230-250.
Overall happy experience :')
Heres a pic of stability.
Taken at 4:19pm 23jan 2014

P.s.the max rate is just showing so due to d temporary buffering when waking up the laptop from sleep.

Guys,
what will be the radius of tower coverage, The tower in my place (sithalapakkam, near Medavakkam Chennai) has no EVDO. The tower in Medavakkam which has EVDO is nearly 3kms aerially. I read somewhere that EVDO works better in 0-3km radius. Can someone throw light on this? I would appreciate.
@jacobz6, Could you help me out here :-)

i would say 0-1.5Km , there are going to be obstructions between the tower and receiver
and also depending on number of users . it will be better if you can try it yourself
if you have a unlocked CDMA modem buy a bsnl sim and give it a try

Raveendar,the speed is pretty much dependent on the distance from tower..I live at abt 1.5 km from medavakkam tower and I get 1-2mbps.I tried it at my friends place at perumbakkam which is about 3 kms from the tower,got speeds only up to 256-512 kbps.Just learnt that You can request for demo by paying around 300 bucks at guindy bsnl csc,better try before u buy!

Raveendar said:
Guys,what will be the radius of tower coverage, The tower in my place (sithalapakkam, near Medavakkam Chennai) has no EVDO. The tower in Medavakkam which has EVDO is nearly 3kms aerially. I read somewhere that EVDO works better in 0-3km radius. Can someone throw light on this? I would appreciate.@jacobz6, Could you help me out here :-)
Where did you receive information about towers?If you got them from BSNL website,you could be lucky.According to BSNL website the nearest tower from my house is in anna nagar(1.5-2km's atleast) and according to the signal spreadout graph on their website signal edges exactly upto my house ..my house is at the verge.However even beyond my house,upto 2km's i noticed evdo signals were reachable at an electronic shop(just checked once while buying an extension cable).Also at my grandparent's place which is about 600m from my house,evdo signals were oretty much existing.Yet again,in my aunt's place,in KILAUK nearest towers were shenoy nagar,anna nagar,none of which were shown on the website to have coverage nearing kilpauk garden,however i noticed full signals.I can assure BSNL website doesnt show any coverage in the areas i have specified above.So you never know,maybe bsnl website hasnt been updated with recent developments,or maybe the surrounding tower is capable of more than what bsnl has indicated under normal urban conditions.I remmber another thread in this forum,where a BSNl employe said bts towers were capable of 5km radius coverage without any obstructions in the path.However here in chennai even 1-2km is way too higher considering conjested buildings and obstacles in the path.

InternetAddict007 said:
Where did you receive information about towers?If you got them from BSNL website,you could be lucky.
Yup, you are correct, you will never know without testing yourself in the case of BSNL, I got all the data reg. towers from BSNL website, My house is exactly 1km - aerially - after the signal spread out graph shown in their website (those 1 km I dont have big obstructions, as there is a lake in between). The nearby tower acc. to their website is GSM/3G, which is pretty close. If I can get hold of any EVDO BSNL usb I can test it myself, have to wonder till then!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back