BSNL FTTH Netlink firmware and bridge mode

• Thread starter Thread starter ddpk
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 72
  • Views Views 4,226
It's supposed to be same after cloning. I don't know how people are configuring and creating a clash. ONT main MAC (fiber interface) address gets registered with OLT. The profiles such TR069, Internet and Voice have their own MAC address. Internet profile MAC address gets bound, the same profile can be turned to bridge mode and the address copied to another router for PPPoE.

Now on some ONT the bridge mode is enabled by simply deleting or not creating a profile at all. This shouldn't be the case for Netlink at least.

Now in my case, I was already using bridge when BSNL introduced address binding. I was using a USB ethernet adapter and the address for that got bound. Later when I changed to another USB ethernet adapter I simply copied the address from the first one and it worked perfectly. Now since they recently changed BNG the MAC address got blocked temporarily for reason unknown and I asked LCO to reset it and it started working even without a restart but then I removed the copied address and used the original of the adapter and then restarted the router and it got bound without any difficulty. Now, I don't understand why a third separate profile is needed just for bridge. The same profile can be used for route and bridge interchangeably without any issue unless the ONT device config is messed up.

Why would two devices with the same mac address work on the same network ?

Profile MAC = ROUTER MAC

Both will be up at the same time..

OP we need to see some images. Mac address from the back of the ont, mac address shown on the wan status page and mac address shown on selfcare inside session unbilled usage.

In the meantime you could also contact your jto directly. Tell him you need to use this router with the ont in bridge.

No, when you put the profile in bridge mode imagine it like a real bridge. The destination of the route or address doesn't end there and instead ends at the router port. Bridge works on Layer 2 and Route works on Layer 3 of OSI model.

@sloj This is an issue even I have seen with the Netlink ONT that OP is using. It doesn't let you clone the mac address of the WAN interface. If you clone the mac address to your router, and put that interface in bridge mode, the ONT simply stops working. I couldn't figure out a way around it.

Ended up getting BSNL to reset the mac binding.

So it could simply be not a TP-Link issue and the other end is to blame then. Wow, they sure certified some bad devices. I guess even a firmware update won't fix that.

Also @ddpk, if you ever come back online download this one HG323RGW HARDWARE 3.2 AND 1.0 FIRMWARE VERSION STARTING 1.0.XXXXX (from Netlink site) and try updating. If you have already tried and it didn't work then idk.

Last edited:
@Adithya Of course you had this conversation before when you tried to bridge the ONT with another router and ended up resetting for it to work. Some users were using TP-Link ONT and cloning still didn't work iirc. So the blame is shared between both I guess.

Back