BSNL Ftth voip config in IP phone

I think IPs may change according to location. I am from kerala so mine might be configured to connect to BSNL's systems for my area.

Also, you shared voice interface(IPoE) details and I shared internet (PPPoE) details. It doesn't allow me to see the IPoE settings like it shows PPPoE settings.

Interesting, I wonder how the VOIP profile even get set? 🤔

@vishnunn If you are adventurous ;) , you could do a factory reset of the ONT and redo the config, you'd then be able to setup a bridged interface for VOIP manually (hopefully ;) )

What I would like to have ideally is this: Have a EPBX so that I can use my phones as intercom within my house. Use any of the intercoms or my mobile phone to make and take calls via VoIP landline provided by BSNL FTTH.

All this because I need intercom in my home anyway and none of the mobile phone operators have proper coverage at my home due to thick tree coverage around my house; so we have to use landline to speak properly on calls.

Initially I was thinking of just connecting the FXS port of ONT to a normal 4 or 8 port PBX box and have all phones connected to it. This will provide intercom functionality and also the ability to call on BSNL landline. But it won't allow to make landline calls via mobile. If I can use landline via mobile, I can avoid dialing numbers each time i want to call and use my mobile contacts list.

I see, another option would be to add a FMT connection to the existing service, from the product page there is no additional rental and call charges would be as per existing broadband plan (which in this case is unlimited calls anyway) - FMT_tariff

The advantage here is that you don't need to use the VOIP interface at all, and the traffic would go out via the internet. Configure this profile on the ONT and connect the FXS port to a PBX device. This would use the normal WAN interface.

And you'd be able to configure the same FMT profile on the mobile as well, since this is not restricted to go via VOIP VLAN, things would be much easier.

Although I'm not sure how it would work if multiple devices register to the SIP server at the same time. Or you could use the FTTH VOIP through the PBX setup and use the FMT number through mobile devices (there'd be two numbers though)

Last edited:
Interesting, I wonder how the VOIP profile even get set? 🤔

@vishnunn If you are adventurous ;) , you could do a factory reset of the ONT and redo the config, you'd then be able to setup a bridged interface for VOIP manually (hopefully ;) )

I can do that. I had already taken a backup of the original settings. I can reset, try various stuff and restore if something goes wrong. I will try that tomorrow and inform you how it goes.

FMT Service:
Thats new for me and an excellent option.
Option 1 you mentioned (configure FMT in ONT):
I didn't get how i would be able to configure FMT to work on FXS port as that interface is "locked down". But if that reset thing works tomorrow, this should be do-able.
Option 2 you mentioned (Use existing VoIP via FXS -> PBX and use FMT via mobile)
As you mentioned, i have to deal with yet another phone number though and not sure on how many mobiles it can be installed and used. I need to install and use it on at least 4 mobiles for now but doesn't require simultaneous calling from multiple phones. I will surely give it a thought.

Thank you.

@vishnunn For option 1, I was hoping that it can be configured to the main internet WAN based on this screenshot. Can we choose the primary WAN from that page?

qyVVtx6.jpg

For option 2, can Asterisk be used to resister with the BSNL SIP server (once) and then point the other mobile clients to the Asterisk server? I mean basically like a proxy.
If two numbers is an issue, just ignore the FTTH VOIP one entirely and use only the FMT number. Get a one port ATA which connects to a PBX for wired phones. Mobile soft clients could point to the Asterisk server.

I configured SIP clients in my laptop and mobile

It is working fine,no need to purchase an IP phone,softphone SIP clients can be used

Please watch my video for more details

Source

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay I wasted too much time on this wondering why UDP is failing. So putting this here in case someone gets stuck too.

Disable SIP under Application -> ALG configuration.

PS - Now I can sleep peacefully till noon. :sleep:

Last edited:

Back