BSNL is inserting ads in websites, sending their users to malware sites through malware code injection

Ads usually stop for a few days / weeks / months. And then, it'd start again. Because, the malware is targeting only a small percentage of users at random. Our IP may not always fall in that small percentage. If anyone goes through this thread in its entirety could understand what I mean. Users report that they don't see malware. Then, after a few days / weeks, they'd see the malware again.

If the malware targets 100% of the users, then the popup could be replicated by anyone. This is the biggest issue now. Whenever I get ready to record a video of the popup, it wouldn't show up. I don't use much of BSNL these days. Even if I use, I mostly use HTTPS sites. Considering most sites are switching to HTTPS at a ever-growing pace, we don't give much priority to this malware. BSNL on the other hand has plenty of resources (man power) to monitor it 24 x 7 and find the source of the issue.

yeah. google really started pushing for https few years ago. but the real credit goes to let's encrypt which has made it possible to install good quality certificates for free. automated in most cases. major hosting companies are also offering their solution which has really made it easy for anyone running a website to switch to https without spending much.

Hi, Pothi , glad you make that point. I also had made the same point in different way. How many sites , ads, to add to 0.0.0.0 in hosts files. So, i browsed through the net, to find the msmvp site and the hosts file. They periodically update the hosts file with the new ads that are popping up annoying users.
Did you check with the hosts file. You just see the contents of the hosts file, just to mention, that they have given the 127.0.0.1 at the top of their hosts file and then adding the suspicious popup sites, running a t z, more than hundreds and still they are updating.
If you try their hosts file, you may be surprised that no ad pop up on most of the sites we visit.
If you experience any trouble in browsing or in any other things, just rename the hosts,old file and rename the msmvp hosts file to hosts.old.
Did any body try the msmvp hosts file and see the results. I schecked with hyundai link given as http site by some in the previous posts in this .
Please see this lilnk also.
Blocking Unwanted Connections with a Hosts File
There is a running Folder icon at the top of donate......Just hover the cursor and click it, you could view the hosts file in txt format and yhou could yourself see the no of sites, they included in 0.0.0.0 in hosts file
Please see here the criteria of inclusion of sites in hosts file in their site
Criteria for Detection in the Hosts File
Hope somebody would respond

@rajujayaraman

We need a solution that works across the board (PC, mobile, tablet, etc). Editing hosts file is simply not an option for most people who use mobile or tablet with BSNL broadband connection. That's why we need a universal solution (at least a temporary solution that works on every device connected to BSNL broadband network). That's why in my OP, I mentioned pi-hole.net based DNS solution that prevents the pop-up malware. In addition, it can also stop ads too. There are two caveats in using it to solve pop-ups.

1. It also prevents ads. If someone is a web developer, it could be an issue as web development may require seeing the ad placement in their clients' sites.
2. It is based on Singapore now. So, every IP resolution is based on Singapore. For most people, it couldn't be an issue. But, for certain gamers, it could be, as they want to resolve to the closest possible server.

I do not know much about pihole net dns.

How did you get 45.x.x.x by using.
I think it is a kind of advanced solution than hosts fix.
I will try , if you say, how to set your own dns.
Which country the net solution belongs.
Please write a little more, as mere preventing of websites in hosts is only applicable to pcs and not connected device.
The two exceptions that you wrote will not affect common users of internet, but at the same time gives solution to all devices.
Could you see danish solution at his link given in the reply above.
Really it is news to me about the pihole net . I will also try to understand from the link you have given ofr pihole net
Thanks for informing me of hosts file limitations. Whavtever be the no of sites, they add willl only give solutions to the pc only and not connected devices as seen from your reply and also from surfing thro the net after your reply.
did you also see the disbling of dns, in the link i have given. Why it is done, i do not know

pi-hole.net is a DNS resolver that I installed in my server hosted in Singapore. It is a private DNS server, but open to public now. Since, we don't have control over public DNS servers such as Google's 8.8.8.8 service, I installed a private DNS server based on pi-hole.net software.

@rajujayaraman ... It is a DNS service like Google's 8.8.8.8 (and 8.8.4.4) service. In place of 8.8.8.8, you may use the IP mentioned in the original post. Since, all DNS servers are bound to fail at some point, it is recommended to keep a backup service such as Google's 8.8.8.8 or something else. I personally prefer 9.9.9.9 as my backup DNS server. Yes, it is an advanced topic, but may not be as advanced as editing hosts file. Most people can update their DNS in their (BSNL) router so that every device connected through the router is void of ads or pop-up malware. That's the whole point of my OP. Since, it works across the board yet simpler to implement, I didn't bother to look for alternatives such as mentioned in Danish's blog. One doesn't need to understand what's going behind the scene (with pi-hole.net) in order to use it. It's just another public DNS server run by me. I have been running it even before I had pop-up malware. I just started using it to block such pop-ups and opened it up for everyone else to use it until BSNL fixes the issue. I hope this clarifies.

Hi, Pothi, Thanks for clarification. i heard about alternative dns server, so that if the first dns, or primary dns, is having probem, then the other will give the internet access. What is back up dns server. Is it alternative dns like the one you mention.
Normally every one advise to use google dns. I found the actual dns server, the server that gives you access at current time, once was given a server in malaysia,to whom i do not have any connection. It is giving this access only for limited time. I found this from using routercheck software, which gives information on configured dns and actual dns servers.
So , i switched back to default bsnl ips server.
Please clarify so that i could try both atrouter level dns settings.
I wrtoe to google support and forums, but no one has bothered to reply. If it is google dns, ok,if bsnl dns ok, how comes a foreign dns server was allowed to access my internet net traffic.
Please clarify on backup dns.I will also try to know about 9.9.9.9 which i had not heard like publicity like 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. So many sites recommend googld dns for any kind of dns or connection problem and for speed. I do not think so. It injects unwanted ads as part of revenue making and admits one day that .
Even google asks you about your neighbourhood details shamelesslyl, without prior information, based on the place of visit one made using uber or if location is enabled in android.
P.S: I have learnt that backup dns server is a kind of backup copy of the server that you have . So, if that server is affected or not working, you could take a backup of the data from the quad 9 server.
thanks for all the informaion.. I did not know about quad 9 servers and much more things. will try to use as i am having bsnl connection.

Last edited: