Can an ethernet media converter device convert fiber media to ethernet media ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Morty
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 3,787
The above mentioned media converter takes a ethernet input and converts it into optical signal and sends the signal to the other end media convertor where the signal is converted back to ethernet (electrical).

@iAnvin What would be on the other end? Basically if you have two such devices you'd be able to establish a link over fiber.

If you are looking for a device to be used for internet service, most are based on passive optical network (PON) and you'd need an G/EPON ONU/ONT device.

If you could explain your exact use case, maybe we could suggest a solution.

I want to relocate both my onu and router to another room. But the optical fiber cable is not long enough to reach there.
I guess the normal thing to do in such a case is to splice and add more cable. Point to be noted here is that the LCO won't help in anyway.

So what I plan to implement is extending the network through a couple of media converters. The fiber optic patch cord coming out of the termination box will be connected to the first media converter. Then this media converter will be connected to a second media converter placed in another room using 15 meter long cat6 cable, thus converting the fiber link to ethernet link. The output of the second media converter will be connected to the onu using a fiber optic patch cord, effectively converting the ethernet link of the second media converter to fiber link.

Will this setup work?

I don't know much about this particular model media converter from Netlink. But there are ethernet media converters from TP-Link which can convert fiber link to ethernet and vice versa.
Another factor to consider is that, a pair of these media converters from Netlink costs only Rs 1200, whereas a single unit from TP-Link costs somewhere around Rs 2300.

I also searched for Fiber to Ethernet converter, but such a product is not available on any ecom site as far as I know.

Last edited:
Another option is to get an SC fiber coupler connector and a fiber cable with pre-fabricated SC connectors for the distance you need. With these you can extend your fiber drop till wherever you want, you do not need a splicer. There would be some optical loss due to the coupler but not much. The distance itself will not add much of a power loss.

2129849543-561435722.webp767849398-1479314099.webp
1457185679276167517.webp

It'll involve lot of patch cords and expenses.
Better keep the onu there and move only the router to the other room connect the onu and the router with that long ethernet cable.
Problemo solved

I had already thought of this. But both the onu and the router has to be moved.

Another option is to get an SC fiber coupler connector and a fiber cable with pre-fabricated SC connectors for the distance you need. With these you can extend your fiber drop till wherever you want, you do not need a splicer. There would be some optical loss due to the coupler but not much. The distance itself will not add much of a power loss.

View attachment 1598View attachment 1599
View attachment 1600

I am already in a tight spot here. My input signal levels are hovering between -28 dbm and -30dbm. I can't afford any more power loss because that would make the conection unstable.

@iAnvin May I know why the ONU has to be moved too? In other countries, usually the ONT is mounted on the outside wall of the house (for an FTTH deployment) and from there it's ethernet. You could perhaps mount the ONU on a wall inside (it's a tiny device right) and run ethernet from there.

I am already in a tight spot here. My input signal levels are hovering between -28 dbm and -30dbm. I can't afford any more power loss because that would make the conection unstable.

-28 dBm and lower is already beyond the rated optical sensitivity of almost all ONTs, so I'd say pester the LCO to fix that.
And it might just be easier if you pay the LCO some money to rewire and terminate the fiber in the other room. You'd up spending more if you try the DIY way.

Also the coupler loss is not much, maybe 0.1-0.3 dBm I think.

Back