Cyanogen Inc. is now Andrasta

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/08/03/cyanogenmod-adds-support-for-11-more-devices-including-the-nook-hd-and-hd-droid-razr-m-and-hd-and-verizon-note-10-1/
Barnes & Noble Nook HD (hummingbird) Barnes & Noble Nook HD+ (ovation) Motorola Atrix HD (mb886) Motorola Photon Q - GSM (xt897) Motorola Photon Q - CDMA (xt897c) Motorola Droid Razr M (xt907) Motorola Razr HD - GSM (xt925) Motorola Droid Razr HD - CDMA (xt926) Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G (apexqtmo) Samsung Galaxy S4 - C Spire (jfltecsp) Samsung Verizon Galaxy Note 10.1 LTE (i925)
I now have an option to try Android 4.3 on my Nook HD+ when it reaches me next month.

10.2 is coming to following devices as well
From the Samsung corner, we have:# Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G (apexqtmo)# Samsung Galaxy S4 - C Spire (jfltecsp)From the Moto corner, we have:# Motorola Atrix HD (mb886)# Motorola Photon Q - GSM (xt897)# Motorola Photon Q - CDMA (xt897c)# Motorola Droid Razr M (xt907)# Motorola Razr HD - GSM (xt925)# Motorola Droid Razr HD - CDMA (xt926)
CyanogenMod

They are going to release simpler installers that anyone would be able to use to switch from Android to their builds on devices.

So, here is the thing. I have never personally used Cyanogen (or any other custom ROM) though I have learnt that…
They cannot officially use Google Apps.They cannot officially use Google Play.They cannot officially use Google Play Services.
Now they have created alternative apps for Camera, Photo Sphere, SMS and bunch of other official Android apps.
And I assume they have an app store of their own? If not, that would have to be created as well.
In addition, they would have to find an alternative for Google Play Services as well.
Also… Now that they are a for-profit entity, I am guessing Google would not feel that good about the unofficial ways they offer to install Google Apps on Cyanogen powered devices.
So, we might see some lawsuits in the future.
And Microsoft might invest in Cyanogen Inc. to get them to make Bing the default search provider in Cyanogen builds :D

From what I understand, Google has a problem only if they try to modify the Google apps in any way or build them into the custom ROM. If they give unmodified copies as a separate zip to flash, as they currently do, Google doesn't have a problem.Don't nook and Amazon also provide modified android builds? Nook does use play store etc.

Amazon does not offer official Google Apps. B&N probably signed a deal to offer Google Play Store on their Nook.
Which was a surprise because Nook Media has Microsoft as a joint partner. So I would have imagined that they would switch to Bing on Nook devices and eventually move to Windows Phone or Windows RT.

Reddit IAmA
We're in an interesting spot, because typically GSF is licensed to OEMs, not software vendors (us). But becoming a legitimate business entity and partnering with an OEM are the first steps to licensing GSF. Most of the technical hurdles have already been overcome (passing CTS).Tom Moss, who is on our board, is the ex-head of Business Developments and Partnerships at Google. He basically drafted all the agreements to license GSF, anti fragmentation clauses, etc. He'll be very helpful as well on this front moving forward.
https://goo.gl/zzzvOp
An OEM deal could be announced in the next week or so!
https://goo.gl/3gE6KZ

Back