Diagnose Mtnl Triband Broadband Problems

= Could you post a link to your own thread? I have heard are of people who were getting much higher speed but are now getting what they paid for and are saying MTNL sucks.

Firstly, i hadnt created any thread for this. I had just mentioned these things in different threads scattered all over this site.

Secondly.....I dont think it takes 3 months time for them to realise that what i had opted for, and what they are giving me....especially in new connections. And then, as u mentioned "They bring you down to the actual plan".....if they do that, then that should reduce my upload speed in the same proportion - that is the logical thing that comes to my mind. But that didnt happen.
Now since the last 2-3 days these speeds have reduced further by 50%.....so now, i am getting at max 15-18 Kilobytes of average speed. Still the uploads have remained intact at about 25 KBps.

I have noticed this thing since long time - everytime i complain over here, my speed has reduced by 1-2 KBps. I am serious....it has actually happened thrice with me.

And i really hope that it doesnt fall down further after i post this!!

Secondly.....I dont think it takes 3 months time for them to realise that what i had opted for, and what they are giving me....especially in new connections. And then, as u mentioned "They bring you down to the actual plan".....if they do that, then that should reduce my upload speed in the same proportion - that is the logical thing that comes to my mind. But that didnt happen.
When I switched from the DSL 399 plan to the 495 unlimited combo plan, I continued to get 2 mbps speed for a month and enjoyed it. Many people experienced such things for longer periods lasting even several months. While the good times last, there is not reason to complain. In fact you should happily enjoy any speed greater than you plan speed as long as it lasts. If it lasts for 3 months, you benefit. As regards the upload speed, I have already mentioned above that MTNL provides 256 kbps upload speed for most plans whether your download speed is 1 mbps or 320 kbps or anything else. So if you have seen a constant upload speed throughout the period, it is perfectly normal.
Now since the last 2-3 days these speeds have reduced further by 50%.....so now, i am getting at max 15-18 Kilobytes of average speed. Still the uploads have remained intact at about 25 KBps.

I have noticed this thing since long time - everytime i complain over here, my speed has reduced by 1-2 KBps. I am serious....it has actually happened thrice with me.

And i really hope that it doesnt fall down further after i post this!!
Don't know what your plan speed is but surely the speed you are getting now is much lower than your plan. Most people here will tell you to go to the exchange and make a noise and they will fix it.
I personally don't have the time to do that. here is what I did when I had a problem of low speed and frequent disconnection. I spoke to 1504 and pleaded, fought, cried, (not exactly) till they gave me a contact number in the exchange. I also wrote an email to the helpdesk at my exchange ([email protected]) and they too replied with 3 contact numbers in my exchange.
Start by calling people on those numbers and they will either be able to help or guide you to the right person. The person I called first was from the server room. She said she would test and get back to me later. She called me back after 30 minutes and told me there is a problem with the line and she gave me the number of the person involved with that. I called that person and he said he would fix it. He also sent a lineman to my home who checked the wiring inside and cleaned up some joints. He said he couldn't look at the junction box outside because it was rainging heavily and would look into it once the rain stopped. Still no fix. After a few days I called again and he said he has done his part and gave me the number of another more senior guy. I told this guy that I have Tikona tower already on top of my building and it would be easy for me to switch. That guy heard me out and by the next day he had replaced one entire cable in their network and finally my connection started working and giving me my proper speed.
I can't possibly imagine MTNL monitoring posts in these forums and punishing complainants. First of all, I found they took me more seriously when I spoke of competition. Secondly, they have no way of knowing your real identity and punishing you. Don't get paranoid friend. Just pick up the phone and get started.

Daddycool....Not getting paranoid, but still theres a direct connection between the 2......As regards the steps you told me - well i had the same route - I called up 1504 - first on extension 2, and then on 3......i did vat the guy at the extension 3 told me to do. Also, both of them gave me the same number of the Central server - after doing what u did.....Quarelling, crying, being polite, everything!!Again the same sequence after that - I called them up, they said theres a line problem, and gave me my Borivali exchange number. And again, that person gave me another number to contact.......on contacting (After numerous attempts of 'engage tones' and 'no answer tones'), the person finally sent a lineman at my residence. He said the line CLEARLY needs to be repaired, and then went away saying he would do that within 1 or 2 days for sure.....A week or 10 days passed after that......so it was about 15th October (After registering my first complaint by 25th September)...After seeing the unresponsiveness, i called them back again, and once again they sent a lineman to console me....He said "I will forward ur complain to my Senior". No response till 3-4 days back.....So i called up again & again, and finally yesterday, i reprimanded the gy, in strong words, and he agreed to send me a lineman Today....What happened today?? They called up & my Dad reprimanded them again, and they just said that they will send a guy.Till now no signs of anyone coming......i will update as & when that MIRACLE happens.BTW, thanks for your help!! :)

^ Your situation has been too bad. Call up the DGM for your area. You will find it on their website. Plus someone had posted a list here in a thread which was stickied.

I will check it up. But the only option visible to me now is - Gandhigiri. Go to the exchange, and nag them until someone agrees to come to my residence!!And for that, i really dont have time, coz it will require a minimum of 1.5 - 2 hours, and rite now, i m having my exams starting from Nov 8 - CA Finals......I have made up my mind, that on the next day after my exams, i will Field at their place rite from the time they open their shutters!!As a matter of fact, we have even tried calling up DGM!!PS: You must be thinking "Whatever i suggest, he says 'I have done that'......" But what can i do, i have tried all things possible. And thats why i have got really frustrated!!

Which part of Mumbai are you from? Sorry if I have missed it from some earlier post.If MTNL guys are so bad in your area, maybe you should seriously look at other options. I had no problem with MTNL for many years. Only recently I have had some problems. But even when I had no problems I am always on the lookout for alternatives. I was upbeat about Hayai but I decided to just put them out of my mind till they actually launch.I don't like my cablewallah but I still go and inquire with him about internet every year or so.I like what I hear about Five network but looks like they are unable to supply in my area and say it will take about 2 more months. So that goes the way of Hayai.I have sent an inquiry to Reliance Broadband and will look at it seriously also.Why am I telling you all this?Customer is king and always keep looking for alternatives even when you are not facing any problems. Don't take crap from your vendors.

Daddycool....
Again, you got me right!! Just now, i have started to think seriously on changing my ISP!!

Oops, forgot to give u my location - Borivali, Prem Nagar area - its very well known in Borivali......in short, a location where most of the facilities are available, and very near to Borivali station as well.....

As a matter of fact, i have started to think on - 5net, In2 Cable, Reliance - yes, we have those wired Broadband services of Reliance in our area.....

And, to still give you an intricacy - we already have 1 Reliance line in our home for another PC, i need this for my second PC, and Dad says that we better get a new Reliance line, instead of going after the unknowns!!

So i am now seriously looking at it!!

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

PS: Can i know your real name?? I dont like calling any1 with screen names - looks odd to me!!

Daddycool....
Again, you got me right!! Just now, i have started to think seriously on changing my ISP!!

Oops, forgot to give u my location - Borivali, Prem Nagar area - its very well known in Borivali......in short, a location where most of the facilities are available, and very near to Borivali station as well.....

As a matter of fact, i have started to think on - 5net, In2 Cable, Reliance - yes, we have those wired Broadband services of Reliance in our area.....

And, to still give you an intricacy - we already have 1 Reliance line in our home for another PC, i need this for my second PC, and Dad says that we better get a new Reliance line, instead of going after the unknowns!!

So i am now seriously looking at it!!

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

PS: Can i know your real name?? I dont like calling any1 with screen names - looks odd to me!!

buddy i think u should g in for In 2 Cable - NO FUP and excellent speeds and plans or Hathway - with FUP and excellent speed

Braveguy....Thanks for the suggestion!! But i have few apprehensions before going in for it - 1) If it is from the "Incablenet", then i have some bitter experience with their cable line......to top it, if our local Cable guy is going to be the middleman, then it can be even worse.This is the biggest thing coming in my way....other issues would be:2) How much downtime.3) Are they liberal with the use of Torrents?4) Just as an extra feature - can i get a wi-fi set up at my home? Basically this is mainly coz i need to access Internet from my cell, when the PC is off. - Though i can do away with it!!It will be really helpful if you can just let me know on these issues - especially the top 3!!

Braveguy....
Thanks for the suggestion!! But i have few apprehensions before going in for it -
1) If it is from the "Incablenet", then i have some bitter experience with their cable line......to top it, if our local Cable guy is going to be the middleman, then it can be even worse.

This is the biggest thing coming in my way....other issues would be:
2) How much downtime.
3) Are they liberal with the use of Torrents?
4) Just as an extra feature - can i get a wi-fi set up at my home? Basically this is mainly coz i need to access Internet from my cell, when the PC is off. - Though i can do away with it!!

It will be really helpful if you can just let me know on these issues - especially the top 3!!

buddy i have IN 2 Cable as my cable operator and Hathway as ISP. recently i got a small paper advt from IN 2 Cable abt the various plans. they have unlimited plans without FUP. i called them and they said if i take 6 months prepaid for 6 months then no installation charges other wise its 500. also for 1 MBps installation is free.

Charges are 552/ pm for 512 unlimited and 999 for 1 Mbps. if u want i can give u the number.

Back