Does Tata(Sky Provide DVD Quality Video ?

• Thread starter Thread starter ~Hami~
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 73
  • Views Views 11,566
@tech
I have original English Version DVD for the film Mummy, Speed1, Speed2 etc
I dont find any pic quality difference between these DVD and Tata Sky. :cool2:

I also have some original collection DVD when i compare that with TS pic quality i should say that the DVD pring is slightly or marginally has better video than TS...........i think that might because of the resoltuion given by the DVD might be different .....

Yes.
I was told that TS quality is very bad and not DVD so I waited and waited for 1 yr for Big TV. But when Big TV came out their STB quality was rubbish so I went with TS.
And I must say TS is DVD quality. I have a 46" Sony Bravia X-series LCD and TS looks really amazing on it!

46" Bravia X series is a very good Tv (and very costly too...infact the costliest other than designer tvs like B&O) and has in built features which can improve really bad picture to a good looking one too. But on a 46" scale if you compare the other dth players then only one can understand the superior picture of TS. Though I will say that it is not dvd quality as DVD is 576p whereas ts is 576i but the bandwidth for a 576p is about 5-6 mbps while the TS feed is 2-2.5 mbps in their best channels wile going to to 1.0 mbps in rest of the channels. Keeping the 1.0 mbps quality 450 mb for video and about 56 mb for the 128 kbps audioin 1 hour so at worst it is around VCD quality but most of the prime channels are half/one third the DVD quality.

46" Bravia X series is a very good Tv (and very costly too...infact the costliest other than designer tvs like B&O) and has in built features which can improve really bad picture to a good looking one too. But on a 46" scale if you compare the other dth players then only one can understand the superior picture of TS. Though I will say that it is not dvd quality as DVD is 576p whereas ts is 576i but the bandwidth for a 576p is about 5-6 mbps while the TS feed is 2-2.5 mbps in their best channels wile going to to 1.0 mbps in rest of the channels. Keeping the 1.0 mbps quality 450 mb for video and about 56 mb for the 128 kbps audioin 1 hour so at worst it is around VCD quality but most of the prime channels are half/one third the DVD quality.

Technically yes TS is not DVD. Neither is any other broadcaster in the world.
Even DTH in USA do not provide 5-6Mbps bandwidth to SD channels, HD maybe yes.
Okay Ill give you an example.
I live in Middle east and we have 46" series tv as mentioned b4. We were using Pehla, but we were missing out on important international sports events and Indian business news because my dad's into the stock market (as a side business:P).
So we decided to go for TS. As per Satcodx...Neo Cricket on Pehla is broadcast at around 4mbps...in TS is it 2.5-3.0 MBPS...but when watching it on TV they quality was the same, exactly. Even though technicaly Pehla's Neo Sports quality should be lower, it wasn't.
So I guess there are many factors.
STB is not a major factor because TS STB is pretty cheap, while STB I use for pehla cost 13000RS when we bought it 3-4 years back.

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

And I also have noticed that a lot of the quality depends on your TV's settings.
At a local restaurant here, they have TS hooked up to small Samsung Plasmas and the quality is horrible. While at home our quality is really good.
Sony is better than Samsung but still there is not supposed to be so much quality difference, I'm sure someone at the restaurant has messed up with their TVs settings.

And agreed, our X-series is amazing, though it was very expensive.

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

And it also has loads of setting options, an amateur would go crazy. Hundreds of settings on it!

Tata Sky has a good pic quality but everybody should understand one thing we need quality but at the same time we should also have more channels so i think we should stop discussing abt this and open a thread for adding more channels :@

Yes... TS has very good in Quality.. may be it does not match with DVD Quality..But one should strongly agree that between the DTH operators Tata Sky is providing its best on Quality....and customer service.

Back