Experience with SUN Direct HD DTH

• Thread starter Thread starter tomythomas01
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 56
  • Views Views 47,502
Thanks Tomy. Your content is very useful to understand aspect ratio and mpeg formats.I will check this weekend for the photos.

Thanks Tomy. Your content is very useful to understand aspect ratio and mpeg formats.

I will check this weekend for the photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52611556@N00/4427157036/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52611556@N00/4427162374/in/photostream/

SUN HD on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52611556@N00/4427162374/in/photostream/

More tomorrow. Indian Premier League Cricket HD channel ad is there in 960 or so in HD.
Regards,
Tomy

Do post your experience about IPL

Sorry I do not watch cricket Match. My son was watching IPL in HD for an hour or so, I will ask him to post. He is fully into Soccer so I feel his interest is also limited.
Now looking at the IPL picture I felt there is too much light around to wash out the video. I will not say the video is great in anyway. But there is no advt.
Regards,
Tomy

Thanks Tomy. Discovery photo is really nice.I am interested in seeing soccer in hd for the fifa world cup in June. Let me wait which dth provider comes best. Janakiraman

this is the best post i have seen, great info. I am planning to buy sundirect HD and was looking for such review. Sun should have improved the SD channels' quality which comprises 80% of my viewing time. Wish Starmovies and HBO comes up with HD channels in india.

Slowly but surely HD channels are being launched in India. Hopefully in a year's time we will have affordable HD STBs and all sports and movies channels in HD.

Just 1 question.. Can we hook up the video via HDMI to my 42" Full HD TV and audio Via Co-Ax or Optical to my ONkyo S3100 Receiver ( Since my receiver does not have a HDMI input )Thanks,The Lord

Just 1 question.. Can we hook up the video via HDMI to my 42" Full HD TV and audio Via Co-Ax or Optical to my ONkyo S3100 Receiver ( Since my receiver does not have a HDMI input )

Thanks,
The Lord
SUN HD has got an optical output for Audio. But there is no option to select it specifically in the menu and it is not clear that while HDMI cable is connected for video, optical audio too present or audio is limited to HDMI. In the manual they have given an optical out connection diagram to Home Theater but omitted the video part in that diagram. So it is almost useless information. We need to test it to confirm. For ex: earlier PS3 was not supporting simultaneous audio out through its all digital ports. Later they have upgraded the firmware to support it.

Update on SUN HD Issues with Denon 2310:I have mentioned in my posting that it is partially solved by changing the Sun provided HDMI cable to Logitech cable. But the delay in handshaking continues. I need to mention that from European site of Denon I could download an upgraded firmware version for 2310 (0082 version). In the release note they have mentioned some issues with new LG and Samsung BD players are rectified. But the upgrade is not easy since we need to do it in the old fashioned RS232 way. I need to search my garage for a cable and a PC with serial port (:() you know the speed is limited to 115kbps. So upgrading a 2.5MB file may take quite some time. It is risky since I do not have any UPS for the Amp (600W) other than automatic generator. So it involves lots of hassles to upgrade the Denon Amp. I do firmware upgrade for all my gadgets the day it releases but never come across such an old RS232way during recent times. This reminds me of early 1990s where we used to work extensively with RS232 ports. Yesterday my friend came and watch IPL match in SUN HD. He was higjly impressed by all the HD channels video.I also found the picture quality is excellent. But I may be too critical of SUN HD due to other issues :(. Regards,TomyRegards,

Back