Experience with SUN Direct HD DTH

• Thread starter Thread starter tomythomas01
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 56
  • Views Views 47,502
I recently bought Samsung 40" LED TV and got SUN Direct HD free alongwith it. Though, I admit that we need to wait for some seconds while switching to HD channels, but the clarity and sound for HD channels (NGC, Discovery, SunHD Movie and Indian Premier League on SetMAX HD) are awesome.
However, for the non-HD channel I prefer to switch back to my Reliance Big TV. Standard Defn channels offered by SunHD are pathetic compared to Big TV.
Thanks, Jishu . I would rather wait for BiGTV to come up with HD broadcast, so that the SD channels quality wud be better than that I saw for Sun HD.

Updated today.
Yesterday 11:00PM I got the connection. So the following is a couple of hours experience and will be updated in the coming days.
I could successfully connect through Denon 2310 today, but the same message continues "cable not connected", " service not defined properly" so the handshaking time is sometime extends beyond 10sec :(

STB Model number corrected Samsung DSB5090R

I thought of sharing my experience on Sun HD which may help those who are looking for DTH HD experience. Even though we are expecting other DTH providers to bring HD ASFIK SUN Direct the only HD service available in India.

It needs a much bigger Dish (double of Tata Sky+ dish I have) and new Settop box – Samsung DBS-5090R . Box comes with a Cheap HDMI cable, no other cables (no RCA cables / IEC cables) supplied.
There are 7 HD Channels.
1. Discovery HD –Good clarity at 1080i , Dolby 5.1 Audio
2. NGC HD – 1080i , True HD , Dolby 5.1 Audio
3. Colors HD – It is scrambled now, so no idea
4. Sun TV HD - Most of it is upscaled video (576P to 1080i in the studio), nothing exciting here.
5. Tamil Movies HD – Excellent HD quality (1080i). I did not expect this quality before taking the connection for movie channel, my doubt was what HD source will they use for regional movies!
6. Telugu Movies HD – Same quality as Tamil Movies HD – excellent
7. Test HD channel - Scrambled at present

SD (576P) channels – not worth even after upscaling to 1080P or i, not better than Tata Sky + (576i) in quality. There is one more issue, HD channels are 16:9 where as SD Channels are 4:3. Since both coming from the same source we need to keep on changing the TV settings for Wide Zoom/ Full when you switch over between HD to SD. So practically my usage of Sun Direct HD is limited to HD channels only, and switch over to Tata Sky+ for SD channels , switching over and controlling the corresponding devices is very easy task (with single click) thanks to Logitech Harmony 900 remote.

Major Issues with Sun HD.
1. Switching over between two HD channels takes sometime more than 10 seconds which is not acceptable by any standards  There is some handshaking issue. My TV (Sonly Signature series, X) complains there is no cable connected for more than 8 seconds, then appears a message “ Service not defined fully” and the picture takes a couple of seconds more to appear. So you dare not attempt channel surfing 
2. When HDMI out is Connected to Denon 2310 (known as the best amp under 1Lakhs among Audio Gurus), it displaying all the menus and other details but no video from SUN, audio is fine. TV goes to a blue screen for any Sun channels. So there is some real issue with the HDMI handshaking from SUN HD box. I have another 5 sources for HD (PS3, WD-Live, Apple MAC etc …) which do not have any issues with either TV or Amp :)
There is some similar report about Sky HD (UK) with Denon 2310 , some HDCP issue where Denon follows exactly HDMI 1.3a standards and the SKY HD faults on the full compliance.

If you any one of you have faced similar issues please let me know.

In summary there are so many issues with DTH HD in India as of now. It is no wonder other DTH providers are keeping quiet on HD. As of now It is meant only for early adopters of tech who are ready to spend hours together solving these issues themselves. It is supposed to be a mature and main stream technology abroad, so I wonder why our DTH providers are not getting it right before launching the service and charging a premium.

Regards,
Tomy

Update from Denon on this issue.

"A set top receiver connected to an A/V receiver via HDMI may have trouble passing video signals through the A/V receiver even though a direct connection to the display seems to work fine. This has to do with the HDMI HDCP protocol being sent and received and the authentication process. This is not a fault of the receiver. Recently set top box manufacturers have become aware of this issue. It has been found that the U-code information appears to be the problem which is part of Annex A of the repeater conformity specifications of the HDMI protocol. Some set top receiver manufacturers have already implemented firmware changes to their units while others are in the process of updating their units. If a set top receiver being used is having problems passing HDMI video signal through an A/V receiver, contact the manufacturer of the set top receiver to see if an update is available. "

Surprise. Today I could see a firmware update from SUN HD. After updating the firmware of STB the HDMI handshaking issues got resolved. So there is no delay except for the decoding which is understandable from a CPU used in an STB. So now like SD channels we can surf through HD channels. No more complaints from my amp Denon 2310 :)

Now I am happy to have Sun HD :) :) Picture quality of all HD channels are very good, true 1080i except the upscaled Sun HD and Colors (I presume). SD channels we need to switch over to Tata Sky+ for better video. I could see that they have started VOD, not bad . All DTH providers are improving.
Regards,
Tomy

Dear Mr.Tony

The information you provided was very very valuable.
Can you let us the monthly subscription costs for those all HD channels?

I'm also want to know the same.....please anyone have the info/any link will be helpful,
Thanks in advance.

I'm also want to know the same.....please anyone have the info/any link will be helpful,
Thanks in advance.
HD Channels comes as part of the package for 1 year. When I got the connection it was RS9900/- and there as no discount for existing SUN SD customers. I had to throw my old SUN STB and Antenna.

For any additional channel Color Rs35/- per month or those who have taken Colors as part of the package SUN HD Rs 25/- per month.
visit Sun Direct HD for more details.

HD Channels comes as part of the package for 1 year. When I got the connection it was RS9900/- and there as no discount for existing SUN SD customers. I had to throw my old SUN STB and Antenna.

For any additional channel Color Rs35/- per month or those who have taken Colors as part of the package SUN HD Rs 25/- per month.
visit Sun Direct HD for more details.

Thank you for the quick reply.....but still not clear the Rs/pm amount.

1.Is it ur Rs.9900/- included the HD CPE+Installation+Activation charges ?
2.Is HD pack is a Base Pack or Add-on service ?
3.If not what is the base pack ?
4. I'm from Rest of India group, Can I use Bengali Shine pack instead of Metro Pack ?

Thank you for the quick reply.....but still not clear the Rs/pm amount.

1.Is it ur Rs.9900/- included the HD CPE+Installation+Activation charges ?
2.Is HD pack is a Base Pack or Add-on service ?
3.If not what is the base pack ?
4. I'm from Rest of India group, Can I use Bengali Shine pack instead of Metro Pack ?
This link gives all the info you are looking for Sun Direct HD
1. 9900 includes everything you mentioned.
2. It is a Basic HD package (either south HD or rest of India HD) + Metro (SD) package
3. It is answered already
4. I am not sure about the 4th one, but should be possible. Anyway Bengali channels are available as part of the Metro pack 4 (Akash, DD Bengla, ETV bengla etc... ). I have taken Malayalam Metro.

Regards,
Tomy

Sun direct might want to reconsider their price with Reliance Big TV out with its HD launch at a lesser price and soon others to follow looking at competitive pricing.

I have installed SUN dircet HD, currently i am planning for Home theatre with optical input (since SUN HD setup box has only optical output). please suggest whether do we need really need Optical input home theatre OR any other options available for 5.1 channel audio output. also suggest which model will be better .

I have installed SUN dircet HD, currently i am planning for Home theatre with optical input (since SUN HD setup box has only optical output). please suggest whether do we need really need Optical input home theatre OR any other options available for 5.1 channel audio output. also suggest which model will be better .

HDMI cables carries both video and digital audio so you need a AVR with HDMI connector. In the lower side you can think of Onkyo TX-607/608 or Denon 1910. But without knowing your budget I cannot suggest. Still cheaper you want to go, think of Soundbars (Philips/ Panasonic etc).
Optical output is also available in Sun HD and can be used for digital audio.
Regards,
Tomy

HDMI cables carries both video and digital audio so you need a AVR with HDMI connector. In the lower side you can think of Onkyo TX-607/608 or Denon 1910. But without knowing your budget I cannot suggest. Still cheaper you want to go, think of Soundbars (Philips/ Panasonic etc).
Optical output is also available in Sun HD and can be used for digital audio.
Regards,
Tomy

Tomy,I am looking for low budget between Rs.35000 to 45000 with Speakers.
Thanks & regards
Nayagam

Back