Experience with SUN Direct HD DTH

• Thread starter Thread starter tomythomas01
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 56
  • Views Views 47,502
Hi Tom,
I have a denon AVR 3808, have a bigtv connection which is giving a good output on CVI and ok output on
hdmi (upscale to 1080P), i saw a demo of sun hd @ croma the other day.. do you think i might also get the same handshake issue that u r facing?

sk

Even though Denon 3808 is a high end amp with good features like networking etc , it was introduced at the end of 2007. So there can be issues with HDCP implementation which would have got corrected through firmware updates. It is a good idea to search in web for any HDMI handshaking issues for 3808 and firmware updates. I do not have any first hand experience with 3808 to comment on this.
Regards,
Tomy

What do you say about SD HD? Good or bad?

Hi, I was about to buy Tata Sky plus but when I saw the price has been dropped for Sun HD I am bit confused if I should opt for Tata Sky Plus of Sun HD. Can you please advise?

Hi,

I was about to buy Tata Sky plus but when I saw the price has been dropped for Sun HD I am bit confused if I should opt for Tata Sky Plus of Sun HD. Can you please advise?

I have explained in detail the issues with SUN HD in the beginning of this post. But I like to highlight that the out of 7 HD channels the video quality of 5 "True HD" channels are fantastic 1080i. Only selected Blue rays (not all) I have is better than that, nothing else. For the other 2 channels the aspect ratio of the source is not 16:9 and even the video may be upscaled, so not comparable.

Since I have both Tata Sky+ and Sun HD I switch over to Tata sky+ for SD channels where the quality is better and its added PVR capabilities offer excellent convenience.

I am sure that Tata Sky also will offer HD + PVR by the time of Common Wealth Games. So if you are not an early adoptor of Technology wait till Tata comes out with HD. Sun HD is for people like me who is ready to experiment any new technology and in the process do not mind loosing some money. With out people like us nobody will be willing to innovate.

Regards,
Tomy

I have explained in detail the issues with SUN HD in the beginning of this post. But I like to highlight that the out of 7 HD channels the video quality of 5 "True HD" channels are fantastic 1080i. Only selected Blue rays (not all) I have is better than that, nothing else. For the other 2 channels the aspect ratio of the source is not 16:9 and even the video may be upscaled, so not comparable.

Since I have both Tata Sky+ and Sun HD I switch over to Tata sky+ for SD channels where the quality is better and its added PVR capabilities offer excellent convenience.

I am sure that Tata Sky also will offer HD + PVR by the time of Common Wealth Games. So if you are not an early adoptor of Technology wait till Tata comes out with HD. Sun HD is for people like me who is ready to experiment any new technology and in the process do not mind loosing some money. With out people like us nobody will be willing to innovate.

Regards,
Tomy

Thanks very much for the clarification. I shall wait for some more time as it seems now Airtel is also out with a DVR. Sure the competition is hot now and prices should further drop.

Hi,Thanks for the experience. I saw the HD Demo at a Samsung showroom on a 40" Samsung Series 5 Full HD TV. The HD channels of NGC & Discovery, IPL Live were really great & true HD quality, however Color channel looked upscaled. However, I was not much impressed with the other non HD channels. I thought it to be inferior to the BigTV I have at home. Can someone comment on this? I intend to buy SunHD, but does anyone have any idea if BigTV or the other players have any plan for launching HD telecasts in near future?

I recently bought Samsung 40" LED TV and got SUN Direct HD free alongwith it. Though, I admit that we need to wait for some seconds while switching to HD channels, but the clarity and sound for HD channels (NGC, Discovery, SunHD Movie and IPL on SetMAX HD) are awesome.However, for the non-HD channel I prefer to switch back to my Reliance Big TV. Standard Defn channels offered by SunHD are pathetic compared to Big TV.

Dear Mr TonyThanks for your inputs in regards to the Sun Direct HD Well i have some queries since you have been using it :-a) Can we add/edit other satellites in it in HD STB?b) Can we see FTA channels c Band or Ku Band Or HD in itc) USB port plays Movies ?cheers Vishal

Dear Mr.TonyThe information you provided was very very valuable.Can you let us the monthly subscription costs for those all HD channels?

Back