Fivenet New Diwali Plan Rs. 9999 for 1 Year, Upto 10 Mbps speed Select Subscribers Only

• Thread starter Thread starter Jaymin
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 248
  • Views Views 61,943
SSV has the right to charge certain fees, that is, the 3k - how do you expect them to pay for their infrastructure?

Secondly, 24Online is a client/server system that any ISP can use - it monitors the flow of traffic for the purposes of accounting (and thus, billing, where applicable).

Though the extra Rs50 fee for DC++ is a bit much, I do understand it to a point: they probably are buying 100mbit/s or 1Gbit/s lines between Fivenet's CO in Sion and themselves, rather than having dark fibre (which is very expensive).

As such, they have limited overall capacity to work with and so you're basically buying the right to use a bit more of the capacity which they've purchasd.

@mathew

you don't know real scenario here, there is almost double the amount paid by fivenet user than the 24 online user for same package! even if i agree upon buying bandwidth thing. still u must agree that almost 90% users are normal users who only surf and chat so they don't consume much bandwidth, also cheap packages being offered in remote areas(by remote i mean places like thane,mulund that are equally far from sion as navi mumbai) how do you explain this?

@mathew

you don't know real scenario here, there is almost double the amount paid by fivenet user than the 24 online user for same package! even if i agree upon buying bandwidth thing. still u must agree that almost 90% users are normal users who only surf and chat so they don't consume much bandwidth, also cheap packages being offered in remote areas(by remote i mean places like thane,mulund that are equally far from sion as navi mumbai) how do you explain this?

The fact that SSV is allowed to charge what it wants for you to use it's infrastructure, as is 24Online, but SSV wants more than 24Online for reasons you'd have to ask them.

There are many factors which contribute to their pricing, many of which I can only speculate, but from my understanding SSV is basically the only cablewala in Navi Mumbai and covers most of the area of that city, which means 1. No competition and 2. Larger coverage area covers less people per sqkm than somewhere like Thane as the buildings were (last time I was in Navi Mumbai) a bit more low-rise. Furthermore, if NMMC charges SSV a small fortune to lay cables, then it has to recover that investment in infrastructure.

The fact that SSV is allowed to charge what it wants for you to use it's infrastructure, as is 24Online, but SSV wants more than 24Online for reasons you'd have to ask them.

There are many factors which contribute to their pricing, many of which I can only speculate, but from my understanding SSV is basically the only cablewala in Navi Mumbai and covers most of the area of that city, which means 1. No competition and 2. Larger coverage area covers less people per sqkm than somewhere like Thane as the buildings were (last time I was in Navi Mumbai) a bit more low-rise. Furthermore, if NMMC charges SSV a small fortune to lay cables, then it has to recover that investment in infrastructure.

Is this the answer to my question? in that case the same is applicable to 24 online. But the thing is that 24 online exists even before fivenet made its way in the city and SSV gains higher revenue from that ISP, if you inquire for new connection they will provide you 24 online by default, unless you demand fivenet :P so the real thing is that they want more and more ppl take 24 online which has blocked torrents, very sad download speed and thats how they invent new charges for fivenet users like line maintainance and dc++. the sole reason as you rightly pointed out is there monopoly that makes us pay this extra 1.5k.

Is this the answer to my question? in that case the same is applicable to 24 online. But the thing is that 24 online exists even before fivenet made its way in the city and SSV gains higher revenue from that ISP, if you inquire for new connection they will provide you 24 online by default, unless you demand fivenet :P so the real thing is that they want more and more ppl take 24 online which has blocked torrents, very sad download speed and thats how they invent new charges for fivenet users like line maintainance and dc++. the sole reason as you rightly pointed out is there monopoly that makes us pay this extra 1.5k.

The answer to your question was summed up in the first sentence - your cablewala can charge you whatever they like to use their infrastructure. In Mahim the cablewala charges a couple hundred rupees a month. Dadar's cablewala will be different. So will Chembur's, so will Borivali's, so will Thane's. I don't think FiveNet has any say in this matter.

What makes it even worse is that FiveNet will be paying a percentage of their revenue to SSV and 24O as well - cablewalas are notorious for double dipping.

Any downtime/DC tht you may be facing ?Also, what is total charges you people are paying, my local operator is willing to give me this line for 1000Rs. per month....

Any downtime/DC tht you may be facing ?

Also, what is total charges you people are paying, my local operator is willing to give me this line for 1000Rs. per month....

According to Fivenet's site, on a month to month basis this line is 999, but is available yearly for 6k.
Special New Year Offer Plan | Five Network Solution (India) Ltd

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 PM ----------

Some people in this thread were reporting that the cablewala charges up to Rs3k on top of the Fivenet charge (bringing the total yearly expenditure to Rs9k).

hmmmm.... as for the link it says 10.3% tax + LMC additional, Right?Tht means its Rs.6000 (p.a) + 10.3 + LMC = I think it should be around Rs. 6000+600+200 (max) = Rs.6800, Anything more than tht is not acceptable....I tried speaking with my cable provider, he aint budging :( Says cant go below 3000Rs. even for 3months.... Wht you think should be the ideal charges for 1month & 3months after adding tax & LMC.

hmmmm.... as for the link it says 10.3% tax + LMC additional, Right?

Tht means its Rs.6000 (p.a) + 10.3 + LMC = I think it should be around Rs. 6000+600+200 (max) = Rs.6800, Anything more than tht is not acceptable....

I tried speaking with my cable provider, he aint budging :( Says cant go below 3000Rs. even for 3months....

Wht you think should be the ideal charges for 1month & 3months after adding tax & LMC.

What cablewala charges only Rs200 a year? I thought it was closer to like Rs200 a month.

This would mean 6000 + 10.3% = 6618 + LMC @ Rs200 (let's assume this includes taxes) * 12 = 9018 p.a.

Also, if your cablewala is offering for Rs3k +tax for 3 months, that would equal the listed price - probably the only way you'd get the discounted price is to take the connection for an entire year in one go, rather than a month-to-month deal.

Apart frm above, if i go with this 10mbps line, the max upload speed i can get is 1mbps. Now, i play a lot of online games on europe servers and i get high pings.So, is their a connection between higher upload speed & ping ? OR ping is not at all connected to upload speed.... Any way i work around with my provider to get me higher pings OR anything like tht ? PS: i knw background tasks & stuff and all internet eating applications R shut off b4 playing.

Apart frm above, if i go with this 10mbps line, the max upload speed i can get is 1mbps.
Now, i play a lot of online games on europe servers and i get high pings.

So, is their a connection between higher upload speed & ping ? OR ping is not at all connected to upload speed....

Any way i work around with my provider to get me higher pings OR anything like tht ?

PS: i knw background tasks & stuff and all internet eating applications R shut off b4 playing.

Ping is not connected to the speed of the line (except when you start getting to really low-bandwidth lines), but more the medium of the connection.

Fiber is generally the best, wireless is generally the worst, which is why you'll often see people's speedtest results showing 1mbit/s on DSL but with a ping of 50ms or so, then 3mbit/s on 3G but having a ping of 250ms (if I see the specific signature containing this example I'll point it out).

Your cable provider will probably provide you something like a standard ethernet connection, which would result in pings being slightly better than DSL (as DSL tends to introduce 20-30ms since interleaving is usually turned on for error control).

If I'm to believe some of the user reports, you should get reasonable pings to most European centres, but there is a certain lower limit - you'll probably never get better than 150-180ms to Europe even with an FTTH connection - unless you actually pack up and move there.

Back