Fivenet New Diwali Plan Rs. 9999 for 1 Year, Upto 10 Mbps speed Select Subscribers Only

• Thread starter Thread starter Jaymin
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 248
  • Views Views 61,937
Buddy, i am getting Pings of around 400 on europe servers and 500-550 on a server located in NYC....

The wire they will be using to my house tht gets connected to my PC for connection is - "catfire" (Thin Grey colored wire) to my house....

Anything i can do now? Maybe use sum high quality other kind of wire at my own additional expense... There has to be sum solution around....

Buddy, i am getting Pings of around 400 on europe servers and 500-550 on a server located in NYC....

The wire they will be using to my house tht gets connected to my PC for connection is - "catfire" (Thin Grey colored wire) to my house....

Anything i can do now? Maybe use sum high quality other kind of wire at my own additional expense... There has to be sum solution around....

I never heard of a wire called "CAT FIRE" :iomg:.
Correct yourself it may be CAT 5E Cable.

Those are horrible pings. As of this minute, from here in NZ I get about 270 to NYC and about 350 to London, Amsterdam and Frankfurt. My worst pings are to parts of the Middle East and parts of Western Africa (but I'm not exactly surprised).

By "Catfire", I'm guessing that's a mispronunciation of "Cat 5".

Different cable probably won't make too much of a difference unless you're also seeing a lot of packet loss.

OK Mgcarley,My 10MBPS connection will be started from sunday.I have questions regarding wiring now.The full firber optic connection is only till few bldgs from my house. The wiring person have told me tht the distance from tht full fiber optic connection bldg, to the terrace of my bldg is around 40 meters and hence, he has taken connection to my bldg via Cat5e cable. He says it doesnt make sense to bring fiber optic to my terrace as well as the other bldg is quite near. IS THIS TRUE ?Second, From the switch in the terrace -- to my house, they said will use Cat6 wire, but they have instead used Cat5E wiring.... Shall i complain abt it OR i am fine with it.Third, Can firber optic come only till my terrace building and frm there cat5e OR it can be drawn till my house?

OK Mgcarley,
My 10MBPS connection will be started from sunday.
I have questions regarding wiring now.

The full firber optic connection is only till few bldgs from my house. The wiring person have told me tht the distance from tht full fiber optic connection bldg, to the terrace of my bldg is around 40 meters and hence, he has taken connection to my bldg via Cat5e cable. He says it doesnt make sense to bring fiber optic to my terrace as well as the other bldg is quite near. IS THIS TRUE ?

Second, From the switch in the terrace -- to my house, they said will use Cat6 wire, but they have instead used Cat5E wiring.... Shall i complain abt it OR i am fine with it.

Third, Can firber optic come only till my terrace building and frm there cat5e OR it can be drawn till my house?

1. Anything up to 90 meters is fine.

2. Only if you plan on using Gigabit over that particular cable.

3. It's up to the provider. Presumably they would have to both bring more fiber AND install another media convertor/switch to connect your building directly for fiber, which may or may not be worth their time/money depending on how many subscribers they have in your building.

Well okay now only thing tht confuses me, is how can i get to know the distance between the other full fiber optic based bldg to mine.... i am poor at judging distance just by seeing only... So i just have to trust his words tht the distance is 40meter OR there is sum alternative technique tht can tellme approx. distance....PS: He will be installing an 8 port switch on my bldg terrace as well..

Well okay now only thing tht confuses me, is how can i get to know the distance between the other full fiber optic based bldg to mine.... i am poor at judging distance just by seeing only... So i just have to trust his words tht the distance is 40meter OR there is sum alternative technique tht can tellme approx. distance....

PS: He will be installing an 8 port switch on my bldg terrace as well..

Google Maps may or may not be helpful.

8 port switch will allow them to easily provide other customers in your building if needed.

Well,

i was not able to locate "Distance calculator" in google map... (you may guide me)
But, i was able to exactly locate my bldg and the other as well...

Please refer the link and tellme what you think?
http://img713.imageshack.us/i/usalp.jpg/

* Bldgs are circled

Well,

i was not able to locate "Distance calculator" in google map... (you may guide me)
But, i was able to exactly locate my bldg and the other as well...

Please refer the link and tellme what you think?
http://img713.imageshack.us/i/usalp.jpg/

* Bldgs are circled

There's a scale on Google maps, bottom left. Use a ruler or something on your screen to get yourself an idea. You could also try the directions feature, though I'm not 100% certain how well it works for addresses in India.

Without knowing the scale of the image, it's hard to say, but knowing that the average street length of a building to be some 20-30 meters, the distance between those two buildings sure as hell isn't 40m - unless those buildings are exceptionally small!! 150m would be a better estimate in my opinion.

At that distance, Cat5/Cat6 cable won't even work properly and the service will be of poor quality because of packet loss and retransmissions, it will probably cause a broadcast storm if the distance is too great, resulting in slow speeds, timeouts and who knows what else. In my opinion, they should drag fiber across to your building to avoid problems.

hmmm.... okay leme catch those guys tomm.

BTW, how can i measure how much packet loss am i getting.... via command prompt what to type & any software tht automatically measure it?

Back