Google Nexus 5

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,651
  • Views Views 152,783
DNA_Uncut said:
The hardware is from LG. I wonder why do you people ignore LG as a top brand. But fond of Nexus because of google's name on it. .
This is the main question..... And the answer was simple: stock android experience & updates.... When u ask such a question in a Nexus5 thread..... ur bound to get replied with staunch defense of the Nexus....Plus u state us as "you people"...... Yes, like u said.... We r a limited number of ppl who have bought a phone just for the stock android experience and regular updates.... Neither of which was offered by LG with such gr8 hardware.... So we kinda had to buy N5....LG takes too long to update than other manufacturers....

I am not sure but I read that LG Optimus G is still on Android 4.1 edition?
In any case... Nexus 5 is not a mediocre device. The build quality is better than most Samsung devices. I would say it is better than the two HTC devices I have owned in the past. And the design is pretty nice too.

The question is what does the update really bring to an enduser. I don't see anything major that worth a device upgrade. I would personally won't run behind updates & upgrades. In terms of hardware I find gionee E7 is better than nexus for the same price. My next upgrade would be E7 or after the stable version of ART
If you say nexus 'll get regular updates. You 'll be wrong after two more new nexus version out. Probably nexus 5 won't get any updates when nexus 8 is out. That could happen with in a year from now.

You want better hardware. I want better updates. I think we both have options that suits our needs. Sounds great to me!
As for updates. Google has already given enough hints that you would get updates for at least 18 months. After that, you are on your own.

Nexus devices are likely to get better support from the Custom ROM community than a Chinese device.
Plus I like the few goodies that are exclusive to Nexus devices like the Photo Sphere camera. I am happy getting it out of the box. Similarly I am sure a lot of people like Samsung software customizations. To each his own.

I'm talkin about devices in general. Not the gionee alone. Regarding software update. Seriously they are a joke imo. I think you might have heard of HTC HD2 a 2009 released windows phone that has now the andriod 4.4.2 ported in. And the community support is still very much active. It's a single core phone infact. It accepts everything that ported to it. The OS that are ported and tested so far are ubuntu, meego, FF etc. A phone hardware should be like that .. .

How many people are still carrying around HTC HD2 running Android 4.4.2 using it as a regular phone? A phone has to be usable. I am sure someone has ported Jelly Bean for HTC Dream as well. But would I care using it as my primary phone?
I installed CyanogenMod on my Galaxy Nexus when Google stopped releasing updates for it. The performance improvements are negligible and the phone was still painful to use. Just because third party ROMs and updates are available for a 2-3-4-5-6 year old phone, it does not mean the end result is going to be good.

The point is the software update does nothing major. It's because the better hardware, you find it is more smooth. Even the device manufacturers already announced that they are going to release official kitkat ota for few low end devices too. It proves the point that raw update is a marketing gimmick. Any decent hardware phone can be updated to the latest. You don't need an expensive hardware upgrade

KitKat is optimized for low RAM devices hence it is more likely to make it to lower end devices compared to previous editions of Android.
And Android has been feature complete for a few years now. Gingerbread edition of Android has enough features to beat any competing mobile platform in the market today.

Back