Google Nexus 5

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,651
  • Views Views 152,783
I skipped Nexus 4 because Galaxy Nexus was working fine for me back then. Nexus 5 was a good update for me. Hopefully I can skip the next model as well. Hopefully in two years we would be at a stage where wearables would become a common thing and phones would just be a brick lying in our pockets powering them as a wireless router.

PanZeR008 said:
True.... But u can't stay behind the world.... Normal user takes a new phone every 2-3yrs..... He doesn't upgrade to a new phone just coz its outdated as per the manufacturers... He upgrades coz he is bored with the current device....I upgraded after 3yrs.... Samsung Wave to N5.... My sister has a Samsung Galaxy R.... Dual core with 1GB RAM.... But still my N5 feels so fast and nice.... Even though its more or less the same OS.... Android hasn't changed much since 4.0.... So better hardware does make a lot of difference.... And so does the updates..LG G2 is a very good phone.... But anyone buying new phone first chks who the leaders r..... Apple & Samsung r at the top.... So LG needs something new abt it..... And lagging in updates doesn't help its coz....
Using an old hardware doesn't mean you are behind the upgrade cycle. A normal user of same platform don't need to upgrade the hardware for just the software updates. Moving from different platform is a different thing. N5 should be faster than it's formers, that the whole business model is all about.
Updates are good only for power users . They always want to keep them updated & love to try new apps & developement (Honestly, It's also an unproductive effort at the end of the day unless it's for the profession.) . But a normal user even today use a phone for music, email, social networking, messaging, surfing. He don't need a octa core, 2 GB or 3 GB, Andriod 5, 64 GB memory etc.
Normal users buying decision is just follow the crowd. The nexus fever would stop if google restrict the manufacturers to not fork the raw update. If it does that, every phone would have a vanilla andriod that would make nexus fame fade out. But google won't do that since it's making billions from this.

Developing the software, getting licencing for newer software, porting it to each device, releasing the update = Not free, not possible to update old devices without getting more money.

More : http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/12/26/htc-posts-update-status-page-with-massive-infographic-explaining-how-carrier-developer-and-google-play-edition-updates-are-made/

DNA_Uncut, on 08 Jan 2014 - 10:13 PM, said:
Normal users buying decision is just follow the crowd. The nexus fever would stop if google restrict the manufacturers to not fork the raw update. If it does that, every phone would have a vanilla andriod that would make nexus fame fade out. But google won't do that since it's making billions from this.
Manufacturers don't want vanilla android. Why would they? They want themselves to be different from other Manufacturers. They also want you to use their own app store and streaming services.

Google have made enough with that it could survive for a century, even if they make everything free. If developing is a business, linux wouldn't exist. Andriod is build over linux kernal. The point is none of the updates brought anything incredible to the normal enduser. Software updates can be given for free to the enduser as google is making enough money from ads. It's just Google is using its fame to make money.

sahibunlimited said:
Developing the software, getting licencing for newer software, porting it to each device, releasing the update = Not free, not possible to update old devices without getting more money.

More : http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/12/26/htc-posts-update-status-page-with-massive-infographic-explaining-how-carrier-developer-and-google-play-edition-updates-are-made/

Manufacturers don't want vanilla android. Why would they? They want themselves to be different from other Manufacturers. They also want you to use their own app store and streaming services.
That idea failed. Endusers don't buy phones for the UI. If that's the case nexus wouldn't became a hit

Today I got an email from Junglee regarding 5% off on N5. So I knew that they have got my email address to send me ads. Now whatever happened to that lucky draw.

I am not saying that that everyone buys phones for UI, I am saying that it is the manufacturer that wants to have their own image and what makes them stand out from others. They also have subscription services that they want users to buy.
If you have had seen this image then you would know who losses money if an old phone is updated.

I being an enduser no need to care for the manufacturer's P&L account. And i don't need an update that doesn't bring anything major.
Is there anything incredibly improved between gingerbread & Icecream sandy. I see just the UI changes with few small tweaks. If they had made ART runtime available for Icecream. It would have been a worth upgrading hardware to quad. But google still keeps ART in beta, it would still keep it beta until andriod 5.0 or 6.0. Meantime you may see few more nexus upgrades that 'll bring nothing major
An enduser should always decide between needs & wants. If the phone is for pride, he would endup keep on upgrading evry 100 days ...

But google won't do that since it's making billions from this.
What?
Nexus is not exactly a hit. Nexus is purchased by a very small user base. I am pretty sure Nexus sales in India are nowhere near Samsung or Micromax or even Lava sales. It is a novelty device that does not cater to most segments of the market.
There is a very small user base who cares about official Google supported updates and can live without expandable storage and are willing to pay premium price for a premium handset.

Back