Google Nexus 5

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,651
  • Views Views 152,783
Do send them a mail and see if they can take advance orders so that you can get them to order a unit for you on the day of launch.

Chalo. Let's hope he is right and there are no announcements later today.Vic's teasers are usually about Google+ updates. But involving Sundar basically deviated all the attention to Android/Chrome.

Well. People do not seem to understand that Google cannot do a launch on their own. There are a bunch of external factors.
1. They need to have enough units to cater to domestic demand first.
2. European countries are a bigger priority than India. So their demands comes next.
3. Manufacturer needs to be interested in supporting the launch in India. Samsung was focused on their own Galaxy branded smartphones and tablets. That is why Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus launches were never a priority for them in India. Nexus 10 did not launch at all in India.
4. I think LG would have learnt their lessons this time around. Last year in September they promised a November launch of Nexus 4 in India. They failed miserably. And when Nexus 4 was launched eventually, I think it did well. I see a lot of people carrying Nexus 4 these days. My cousin bought one without even consulting me first! That was a shocker. So, they might bring the Nexus 5 to India faster this time around.

In general nexus phones have a very poor sales record.
samsung Gnex sold around 1 million units. nexus 4 sold around 4 million till now after 1 year.
Now compared to s4 which has sold around 40 million units in six months, not to mention iPhone figures. So nexus phones have so far never gained a mass product appeal.

LG did better in the most recent quarter as they sold 12 million units during the three months. I think they would be quite satisfied with 4 million units sold of Nexus devices especially considering it is sold in few markets globally and without contract in most developed countries.
And the interest in Nexus 5 is phenomenal. I mean no one considered Nexus devices back when I bought Nexus One! Of course, it (and Nexus S) costed me USD 550+ so subsidized pricing of Nexus 4 has changed many things.
Nexus 5 should sell a lot of units if it is indeed priced at USD 350 at launch. Interest in this phone is phenomenal everywhere.
--
hehe. now people are guessing that vic might be hinting at hangouts update for android which could include the voip powered dialer to let you make international calls for cheap aka Skype (Google's prices I believe are much lower than Skype) but i do not think hangouts update is coming before the launch of kitkat.

Back