Google Nexus 5

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,651
  • Views Views 152,803
There is nothing called prepaid contract, contract means one year or two year with postpaid.
If you take Prepaid connection in USA, they wont give you any phone.

ChaiBiskutBhai said:
So if I go to the US, I can get a prepaid contract, get a N5 for 100 bucks and run back to India? Is it so easy? (Unlocking a phone.. even I can do.)
Sure. But for getting the 100 buck phone on contract you'd need a social security number.

AbhishekS said:
I'm not interested in the 16GB model. 3-4 weeks shall be fine I guess.My dad will be back in 2 weeks but I guess my Bua will celebrate the New Year there.That's what I'm thinking right now. My Galaxy Nexus never gave any trouble.And purchasing the Galaxy Nexus was a bigger risk as the spare parts aren't available in India easily. At least that won't be the case with Nexus 5.
sanke1 said:
If you can be repaired in India if something goes wrong in worst case, then buying from US is worth taking a risk. For me at least.
Its worth the risk IMO. Got nexus7 (2012)from US even though I ran the risk of getting bricked tab if anything went wrong. But the tab's fine. For nexus 5, you can get spares/repairs without any hitch now in India.
SVK said:
For contract phones, if its prepaid, we can pay remaining amount and get phone officially unlocked from Carrier. For postpaid I am not sure. Many people simply get it unlocked from outside and leave country, Carrier may end up in loss.
I 've seen people get phones from UK too. Got Xperia play at the time from an friend. Though Iam still not sure how it works. My friend said his brother bought the phone to india, returned to Uk and claimed theft insurance and got a new phone.

If you pay 30k for the phone and break your screen sometime> 5-8k maybe, motherboard,etc free
If you pay 23k for the phone and break the screen sometime>5-8k maybe, motherboard 5-8k maybe, other parts are a lot cheaper
So you loose money if you buy the phone for 30k and physically damage it, if you buy it for 23k and it gets major damage then you end up paying the same 30k overall BUT if the phone is not damaged then you will save 7k

I don't know why there is so confusion on whether to buy from USA without warranty? I won't think beyond a millisecond because it's much cheaper and if there's any issue it can be repaired in india as we know it's available in India with warranty so spares are no issue as of now :D

The different is around 5500 rupees. I have bought all my previous Nexus devices from the US Play Store. But not this time around. Difference is not significant enough.

Difference seems to be 7k, also there's hardly a chance an issue will arise in a high end smartphone hardware wise, even if it does you got it cheap enough to afford it, it will not surpass by more than couple of thousands if you needed to pay for repairs That too if repairs are needed at all, it's like an insurance for me, you will be getting it 1st hand from USA with cheapest price available without any further expenses of any customs or shipping etc I don't understand the the confusion here, it was only valid if it was not launched in India officially, and you were paying extra charges for Custom and all to make it expensive Confusion is beyond my mind here in this special case

Back