Hayai and the future of broadband in India

• Thread starter Thread starter baxilone
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 8,079
Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt that with Hayai's speed, 500 Gb will last a year.

up to 1Gbit/s is something, We'd be experiencing for the first time. First month i may download 20 or 30 Gigs More.. but I am sure 30-40 Gb Per month is more than enough for me. Actually i do upload a lot than downloading :P

are you offering discounts on yearly package? Like presently most of the isp's are offering 12 months for the price of 10 Month.

As of now, no. I don't really like the idea of billing a year in advance, so month-to-month billing would still happen, but getting users to sign a 12 or even 24 month contract (as is often the norm overseas) so that they can avail discounts/free installation/etc isn't out of the question, and I think we will introduce something for those willing to come on for a year after some time.

I would buy 30 Gb initially check the connection, If its working fine, no downtime and no torrent throttling. will buy directly 500 Gb for a year!

On a data plan, no throttling of any kind. Period.

I doubt that with Hayai's speed, 500 Gb will last a year.

Sure it could. Treat the connection as you would alcohol: what you have now is light beer (1%), and we're offering you vodka (or something more strong which you might not have heard of, so keeping it to commonly known spirits for now).

Anyway, you can drink a 12-pack of light beer and not get too drunk. But drink a bottle of vodka all at once and you'll probably be quite off your face. Instead, if you take a few shots of vodka at a time to finish the bottle, you will not feel too many ill effects.

Sure it could. Treat the connection as you would alcohol: what you have now is light beer (1%), and we're offering you vodka (or something more strong which you might not have heard of, so keeping it to commonly known spirits for now).

Anyway, you can drink a 12-pack of light beer and not get too drunk. But drink a bottle of vodka all at once and you'll probably be quite off your face. Instead, if you take a few shots of vodka at a time to finish the bottle, you will not feel too many ill effects.
i feel your taking us from beer, directly to absinthe!!! :P

i feel your taking us from beer, directly to absinthe!!! :P

You may be right. I've had Hill's Absinthe in the Bohemian region of the Czech Republic and it's wild stuff.

Mgc, it was heartening to read about your long-term vision to bring Hayai to the villages of India. I think bringing internet connectivity to those of us who aren't yet there (that's around 90% of the country) is going to be the next big revolution, like what happened with mobile phones. And its not only going to change the lives of millions, its going to make the internet change in a substantial way too. If we get anywhere close to even 40%-50% penetration, the major bulk of internet users in the world will be us and China.

Some of our state governments are already taking their first steps towards this long-term goal. The present government in Tamil Nadu has already started giving out free laptops (manufactured by IBM, Lenovo and HP) to all government-aided higher secondary school and college students. They plan on distributing ~ 9 lakh laptops this year and ~ 68 lakh in all, over the next four years.

The Hindu : States / Tamil Nadu : TN Govt

As you can imagine, these laptops will be fitted with basic softwares, but also with multimedia and educational material ( career guidance, subject-oriented study material and basic computer knowledge) tailor-made for this group of students. As of now, the government is soliciting ideas for this, and as soon as some are finalized, they will be incorporated into the laptops, or given to the students on CDs.

Proposals to bring internet connectivity to all these people are also being considered. I guess they'll be starting with something like the cheap 256 kbps BSNL plan for 99 a month, and though most of us find this laughable, its still a start. For people who would have never imagined having a computer to themselves till a few months back. It'll be nice to see Hayai reaching these people, even if it only happens 5 or more years down the line. Everyone with a computer deserves better than a crappy 256 kbps connection. :)

If this project succeeds, it might inspire other state governments to introduce similar schemes down the line.
I'm personally waiting for the day when major parts of rural India are connected and there are services and products being delivered to them on the internet. The possibilities are enormous. Finally, we will have a place for Indian languages on the internet; any number of social networking sites like Vkontakte in Russia or Renren in China will be possible, considering our diversity, and if businesses will have to reach this user base, they'll have to speak the local languages. The world will come closer to a segment of India that has had little to no exposure at all so far. And with the integration between internet and cellphone connectivity and everything else already happening at such a dizzy pace, there's no guessing what else will become possible.

----------------

I guess a logical next step after this level of penetration is achieved, would be things like free internet for all, which can be accessed in most important public spaces, starting with railway stations, government offices, bus-stops, schools, colleges etc.

This is the future of Indian broadband services.....have a look at the BSNL FTTH...!!!!
The moment i saw it i couldnt stop laughing!!!!!!!!WTF are these stupid ppl are doing
here:Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd.

This is the future of Indian broadband services.....have a look at the BSNL FTTH...!!!!
The moment i saw it i couldnt stop laughing!!!!!!!!WTF are these stupid ppl are doing
here:Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd.

I've thought that the prices are bit funky too. They've just started advertising the same in Pune.

^^They prices too much from a BB company which has been in this field for so many years...come on charging 2999 for 1mbps line on ftth is way too much...where as on copper line its around thousand bucks.just cashing in for new technology is not always a good business practise!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back