Help me !

• Thread starter Thread starter firenze
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 3,014

firenze

ISP
BSNL BB home 500
i have searched through the forums, but i would highly appreciate a personalised reply from anyone interested to help

just got a WA3002GA4 modem today [i have home plan 500]
i have a desktop running on windows xp sp2 and a laptop running on vista home premium
i am connecting my desktop to the modem via an ethernet cable and the laptop to the modem via wifi

now i have 2 problems

1. i can connect to the internet either on laptop only [via wifi] or on the desktop only [via ethernet cable], that is, only on one of them at a time, not both simultaneously ; how can i use internet on both of them simultaneously ????
[from surfing the forums i already know how to access my router homepage with 192.168.1.1]

2 . i want to share files between my desktop and laptop. i already know how to do that by directly conecting them via ethernet cable, but would love to know how to do that via the modem , that is, with desktop connected to modem via ethernet and laptop connected to modem via wifi

pls bear with me, i am just writing in detail so as to avoid any confusion, and so that i can get the perfect advice

also, pls tell me how can i have a secure wifi connection to avoid any misuse ??

thanks in advance

ps: this is a brilliant forum, keep up the good work guys :-)

19 views and no reply..... :(

im so glad someone is replying, but that didnt help essbebe :(

ashish had another model of modem and was not using wifi to connect his laptop with the modem

first of all is there any configuration to be changed in my modem's settings to allow both the computers to connect ???
or it is only some problem in my desktop/laptop's own network settings which will have to be rectified ????

i'll try explaining my problem in more detail

first of all, i connect my desktop to the net via this window
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/5285/unmq6.png

it connects alright
now i connect my laptop to modem via wifi...that connects alright

but when i try to connect the laptop to the net via this same window, it does not connect, but gives an error [code 681 shayd, dont remember exactly]

same thing happens if i connect laptop first [it connects alright] and then try to connect desktop [which gives the error]

help !

sorry bro, itsmynet, that manual is for another modem model, and since im notvery conversant with this stuff i dont know how to do the same thing in my modem which has a different interface . . . . . essbebe, ur links have not been very helpful ... :ashamed: anyways what is bridging ????

essbebe, ur links have not been very helpful ...

No problem.
Did you download the tool for Vista and run it ?
I don't have Vista OS, and all modem/router settings are usually common.
What you are using a dialer is called "bridged" .
In the WAN page you select PPP/PPPoE and enter your UserId and PW
and try.
Confirm your modem device page looks like this.
http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/3110/routeryy1.jpg
Para two : post these details. seems some IP conflict. so that others can help.
Start/RUN type cmd type ipconfig/all ( In XP ).
The IP address of Desktop and laptop computers should be different.

hey bro, i just managed to do it . . . i am using what is called as "always on" mode , by filling the user name and password in the wan settings in the router itself..... now, for the wifi, i am using wpa2 psk security, with a passkeyis it enough secure a connection ???? since i have a home 500 plan with a limited downloads quota, i cant help being scared about misuse of my wifi, since the router is on "always-on" mode.... any suggestions ??? lol, i exactly used the same thing which u suggested.... but i figured it out by some googling.... anyways, its good to know that u r as efficient as google :) na, i didnt download that tool another question : how to check my usage in real time??? earlier i used to check status of my dialler window which showed bytes sent and receivedbut now since i do not dial any connection in the 1st place, there is no dialler window to check usage from !!! i know we can check usage from the bsnl site, but that is not real time, u gotta wait for sometime after disconnecting [dont know how long] before your latest usage is updated there

Back