Installed new airtel Xstream fiber connection

• Thread starter Thread starter Rickysin
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 213
  • Views Views 38,858
so 2 weeks ago i got airtel Xstream fiber connection installed at my home.

background story:

so in 2017 i got a call from jio fiber that they are giving free fiber connection for 3 months with refundable security deposit of 4500rs. I opted for this and got it installed. I continued using free jio fiber internet for like 2 years untill they started paid plans.
In those 2 years i got full 95 mbps up and down speed. No complaint in that. But their ping latency and download speed was like horrible for non-peered content. I raised a disconnection request this year and got the security amount of 4500rs back within 20 days.
Then airtel called me and told that they are pre booking for upcoming ftth service in my area and i will get free installation and dual band wifi for 1000rs amount. This amount will be adjusted in 2 bills . 500rs discount per bill for 2 months.
I said yes and within 1 week of request engineers and hired labour started digging my street for underground fiber cables and OLT boxes . This continued for 1 month and work was done.

i again got a call from their engineer that service is live now and they are sending wiring team to my location. And installation process began and within 1 hour connection was installed and internet was up and running.

I choose 200mbps unlimited plan and getting more than 200mbps down and upload speed approximately.

ping is also fine. Just 10ms lesser than jio but surfing websites and streaming is way better than jio.

@droid
Unfortunately No LCO is laying fiber underground in my area . Not even JIO
This is actually something which might affect the over all quality ...I mean you're more prone to fiber cuts and such with this pole strategy but at least having something is better than not having ISP itself ..😀

@igloo I was using airtel backend net before. I opted for 20mbps plan and ping was not that great. On Bharti Airtel server I was getting 19ms. Gaming socks.

This is actually something which might affect the over all quality ...I mean you're more prone to fiber cuts and such with this pole strategy but at least having something is better than not having ISP itself ..😀
I m currently on timbl ( Delhi based ) broadband ( which buys B/W from airtel/tata) . Got my friend/neighbour airtel .
Should i switch too ? ?
Considering both are LCO based , fiber through poles and same speed for (₹799)

@droid
I think its becoming standard method in non metro cities .

All the three companies : BSNL, JIO, Airtel are following LCO model in my city .
Which city are you from bro?

@igloo i think in Delhi they will remain as direct right?

Like right now its direct with VDSL, in future it will be direct fiber right?

@arjunarora4212 It is direct fiber by Airtel in Dwarka. Can't comment about your area.

If the particular LCO follows the strict rules and protocols imposed by Airtel then you won't have much difference in speed and
Some people from Airtel a
If the particular LCO follows the strict rules and protocols imposed by Airtel then you won't have much difference in speed and latency.
A small team from airtel is helping the LCO guys in my area. I had a word with a so called engineer on the site regarding latency, underground fiber laying & LCO model.

He said everything is done by airtel except manpower. The LCO will get a commission for every connection they install and will get a fixed monthly fee for maintenance.

There will be no impact on speeds and pings. They are gonna launch prepaid in few days and after that postpaid plans will be introduced.

The laying of fiber depends on municipality etc etc. But they preferred underground fiber laying.

I m currently on timbl ( Delhi based ) broadband ( which buys B/W from airtel/tata) . Got my friend/neighbour airtel .
Should i switch too ? ?
Considering both are LCO based , fiber through poles and same speed for (₹799)
As you got your friend having the connection , ask him how's the service. May be you can try using his connection for what you use and see if there's any difference , if yes you can change else why to bother , especially when you have to pay installation charge of 1k

Have they stopped charging installation/ activation charges or they never did in ur area ?
Yesterday my friend paid ₹1000 as installation/activation charges as mentioned in Broadband FAQ on airtel site , however today they removed those FAQs

Area : Uttar Pradesh East

I forgot to mention there are no installation charges of 1000 in my area if you advance pay 3 months "ARP" (advance rental plan) which I did for my aunt.

The society is very large (huge township in Pune) called Magarpatta City so I guess it is cost effective for Airtel so no need to charge for installation.

Back