IPv6 Enabled But Doesn't Work?

Hi @sloj Currently I have set the ONT in Route mode. OpenWrt is running in DHCP mode.
Yes, the PC is auto-configured for IPv6, and it gets IPv6 connectivity but only while using Mobile Hotspot.
The ONT passes on IPv6 to the Openwrt router, but the same isn't passed forward.

Does the ONT have to be in Bridge mode for IPv6 to work beyond the router?

@!!..PD..!! I will perform the Ping process (ping ipv6.google.com from the router) tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
When you use mobile Hotspot, aren't you using cellular data?

@sloj , I have gone through this multiple times to make sure I haven't made any mistakes.

Now I have moved to complaining BSNL every month only to get the same response every single time "Please patience, the work is in progress". 🤔

I have IPv6 but don't use it. It's not perfect yet, most things will work but some things will frustrate you. For example, on browser(s) Amazon will fail to load sometimes. Didn't do a proper check but I guess it's because browser doesn't properly or immediately shift to IPv4 when IPv6 lookup fails as there's no IPv6 address for accessing the site yet.

Last edited:
Point Noted. I will experiment if BSNL ever provides me a working IPv6. 😅

Jio did enter my town in the beginning of this Year. Hoping airtel enters so that I can get a connection.

Not interested in Jio and their forced Combo ONT

@sloj Interesting. Since the downstream OpenWrt router was getting IPv6, I assumed it was working.
As suggested by @!!..PD..!!, I will run an IPv6 Ping test from within the OpenWrt router. This could indicate if it is a Configuration issue or something else.
The second thing to try would be to set up Bridge Mode on the ONT, and PPPoE on the OpenWrt router.
I wanted to avoid PPPoE on the router because I am still working out issues in the OpenWrt configuration. Hence, I needed to keep the connection alive using ONT WiFi, while working on the router.
Once the OpenWrt configuration is final, I will disable the WiFi on ONT and use it as a Dumb Bridge Mode device with Phone Line active.

Back