IPv6 Enabled But Doesn't Work?

@Chip my LCO can't even do basic mac id refresh or plan change. I think you can imagine how blessed I am.

Thanks for the screenshot though. I've downloaded it in case they try to deny IPv6 again (shouldn't happen as they accepted yesterday that it works in Amravati).

@!!..PD..!! yeah as I suspected it's an issue of a local roll out and quality of LCO support varies widely. Luckily my LCO is cooperative though he may not be technically knowledgeable. He clearly tells me anything related to the OLT and right through to the NOC is BSNL's job only. And he isn't authorised to touch that equipment. But he escalates if required and touchwood so far no issues.

Tell your BSNL branch the Govt. mandated IPv6 roll out by all ISPs by end Dec 22. If BSNL in Mumbai/Pune i.e. in the MH telecom circle can do this there's no reason for them not to.

Again, v6 roll out in Pune happened a few months back (I have a post about it somewhere on this BSNL main thread.) and it was buggy to begin with. Don't expect any smooth transition. It's best you rely on v4 only.

Just read on their website with the Rs 599 plan you get 100 Mbps with 4000 GB data. Not bad eh, for Rs 100 extra!

Here's my 1st post (I think) about BSNL IPv6 in Nov '23 Bsnl enabled IPv6

@Chip , I received my IPv6 address around the same time in Amravati but the internet access to any IPv6 website did not work.
The BNG migration happened around Spetember-October 2023 in MH and in November month I found the IPv6 address in my ONT and Router.
I think the reason IPv6 is not working for me is outdated firmware on their OLT.
I believe I read somewhere that OLT vendors pushed some firmware in order to make their OLT support IPv6 and I can see BSNL not doing firmware upgrades. They don't know about IPv6 and internet is working according to them so why touch firmware.
I talked to them (BSNL Amravati) that if OLT firmware is not up to date then that can make IPv6 not work and they directly said that "we cannot help with OLT firmware update".
They don't wanna upgrade their own firmware but expects customers to upgrade ONT firmware if their is any internet issue. That's just the way they roll.

@!!..PD..!! I dont think it's a firmware issue as networking equipment has been supporting IPv6 natively for a long time. The formal launch of v6 was in 2011/2012 if memory serves me right. So there has been sufficient time for all major vendors to fall in line.

This is probably more of a configuration issue and believe me when I tell you v6 configuration on network trunk lines and backend equipment is far more complicated than v4. So they leave it alone.

Nobody gives a hoot about v6 as long as the Internet works. For e.g. in my housing colony nobody (except me) would even notice if v6 went off and stayed off. Internet should work, that's all they want.

All our mobiles get v6 addresses from mobile operators...how many do you think even know about it? :)

This is from Syrotech.

Code:
Step 1:

Because of the OLT firmware which less than V1.9.7R not support change IPv4 to IPv6 (via upgrade IPv6 OLT firmware).

So please upgrade the Intermediate version to help to change IPv4 to IPv6.

These are the steps :

a) If OLT current firmware less than V1.9.7R, Upgrade V1600g1_upgrade_V1.9.7R_ipv4.ubi and reboot OLT.

When starting up then Upgrade V1600g1_upgrade_V1.9.7R_all_ipv6.ubi and reboot OLT.

b) If OLT current firmware is or over V1.9.7R and already support IPv6, please upgrade any IPv6 firmware provided by Syrotech directly.

c) If OLT current firmware is or over V1.9.7R but not support IPv6, please upgrade V1600g1_upgrade_V1.9.7R_all_ipv6.ubi or any all in one IPv6 firmware provided by Syrotech.

Step 2

a) If your OLT current firmware less than V2.0.5R, please upgrade the last firmware file which name with "S", eg: v1600g1_v2.0.5R_20200226_S.ubi

b) If your OLT current firmware is or over V2.0.5R, upgrade the last firmware file which name with "N", eg: v1600g1_v2.0.5R_20200226_N.ubi

Unbelievable!! In this day and age they haven't implemented v6 in their firmware. What a 3rd class Co. It was there in my 2010 ONT from day 1.

Instead of going forward these idiots are going backwards. I used to get working IPv6 on my devices in Himachal but since the last few days I am facing the same issue as @alap4m.

@Vritra Looks like IPv6 has started working in Himachal again.

P.S. : If you want to show it to your Vendor or LCO
SVVrVtV.png

Yup it's working again. Just renabled it yesterday. I disabled it because it was causing glitch on ubuntu updates, I was trying to update pihole but it was showing unsupported OS despite Ubuntu 22.04 being supported. Disabled IPv6 and the updates were working again. Now it is working with IPv6 again.

Yeah. I was facing issue with IPv6 for previous 1 - 2 weeks. I thought it was some issues at my local vendor but it was at backend servers. Surprisingly it got fixed yesterday (i've noticed it today). Well, This time IPv6 got some updates too, Firstly there was no secondary DNS but now it shows up secondary DNS too :D (probably done some updates in backend)

btw, @Vritra was you facing any issues regarding internet Ping or speed? I was facing it for 2 weeks but it got fixed this month May 2nd or 3rd. My friend was also facing this issue which live at some other location in H.P. Hope to get a reply from you soon :D

Back