Kerala Vision Broadband FTTH - User Experience

• Thread starter Thread starter varkey
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 344
  • Views Views 95,335
Now that I am evaluating Kerala Vision broadband, thought I would create a thread to share my experience. My LCO provides broadband services from BSNL and Kerala Vision, so thought would be good to evaluate Kerala Vision as well.

Getting the account setup was pretty easy, cause there was no need for additional cabling or ONT etc. I shared a photo and ID/address proof doc to the LCO, and the same day evening he setup my account and shared the credentials. The LCO shares the same OLT for all services, so on my end, I just needed to configure my OpenWRT device appropriately.

Initially I didn't get the Kerala Vision VLAN, so I had to reach out to the LCO's tech guy who shared the id. I added the VLAN to the switch (my ONT is a transparent bridge, so I needed no change on the ONT) which created an interface and all I needed to do was add the necessary interface configuration with the PPPoE credentials.

Screenshot 2020-03-06 at 7.47.29 PM.webp

Screenshot 2020-03-06 at 7.48.05 PM.webp

As you can see, they use CG-NAT which is disappointing but other than BSNL and few others nobody else gives public IP addresses. Also I liked the fact that things just worked on first try 😆 (the above screenshot is from my first try to connect)

Will add more details as I explore more.

@JitzyJT ,no..it was 10 mbps upload and download.

My speed issue has been fixed and i am getting 95-100 mbps speed now if i am on awired connection.Problem was the with the session (thats what the support guy said) and it was kind of freezed.So the same session was continued on the next day as well.After he killed the session,i had to reconnect back and everything was back to normal...

@varkey

can i use the sfp to lc transceiver on my ZyXEL sbg3600 router to do ppoee and connect to the olt of my cable provider, i have yet to get the fiber pulled for the kerala vision plan from them

@Gokul Kannan and @varkey
that is some really fast response,my apologies for asking something when a whole thread was started about it,from reading that thread,i agree its not worth the money nor time to use the ZyXEL router sfp port as an ont

Can you recommend a good ont, i don't want any bells and whistles, i have a uap ac pro 3x3 mimo with 5ghz and 2.4hz for wifi and the above mentioned zyxel will be used for pppoe and routing

from reading the forums i saw mentions of the Netlink unit
they seem to have raised prices and its about 1600 with shipping

found it cheaper on indiamart without shipping for 893 Rs , the seller is in trivandrum so shipping within Kerala wouldn't be an issue

i want to know if there will be any issues using this ont from user experience before i buy it , the lco wants to sell an ont for 2750 Rs,didn't ask the manufacturer or make,but i don't want to overpay or get something with features i will never use,

also @varkey which device is the screenshot you posted in opening post of the thread running openwrt with the mt750 switch

@Massivesiege There shouldn't be an issue with that ONT, should work okay bridged as a dumb modem / ONT.

However I'm not sure if it would be available for that price considering the shortage due to Covid19.

If you are interested in a Huawei HG8120C (1GE, 1FE and 1TEL, works in both GPON and EPON mode), please PM me.

@varkey I can't seem to figure out how to send a private message on this forum,i will confirm with the lco if i can use a bridged ont with there olt and get back to you
thanks for the offer

@varkey I can't seem to figure out how to send a private message on this forum,i will confirm with the lco if i can use a bridged ont with there olt and get back to you
thanks for the offer

Did anyone try this
Rs. 1,394.90 | Original hua wei single model SFP module single SC port PTXM167-431 B+I Module for GPON ONU FiberCore

The price and shipping makes economic sense for me to order and give it a try and it would arrive fairly soon as special line is gati and speed post for the last mile also since package is so small will be exempt from tax if i can convince seller to declare a commercial value of 200rs and cif of thr same amount

@Massivesiege Doesn't seem to have free shipping to India?

Also, Special Line Yanwen is no longer through Gati, it's being sent via Malaysia Post Registered. Comes in about 20-30 days. I've got couple of packages recently. There shouldn't be any duty though if the seller marks it for less than 10 USD or so.

From my tiny research a while back (and I could be completely wrong too), the Huawei GPON SFP modules can only be managed through the OLT, there is no web UI or any management options. If your LCO validates ONT serial number etc, you wouldn't be able to clone it like you'd do for other ONTs, and you would need to get them to whitelist the SFP module's serial.
It's definitely worth a try though, I'd have tried if I already had a SFP supported switch or router 😅

Back