Kerala Vision Broadband FTTH - User Experience

• Thread starter Thread starter varkey
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 344
  • Views Views 95,331
Now that I am evaluating Kerala Vision broadband, thought I would create a thread to share my experience. My LCO provides broadband services from BSNL and Kerala Vision, so thought would be good to evaluate Kerala Vision as well.

Getting the account setup was pretty easy, cause there was no need for additional cabling or ONT etc. I shared a photo and ID/address proof doc to the LCO, and the same day evening he setup my account and shared the credentials. The LCO shares the same OLT for all services, so on my end, I just needed to configure my OpenWRT device appropriately.

Initially I didn't get the Kerala Vision VLAN, so I had to reach out to the LCO's tech guy who shared the id. I added the VLAN to the switch (my ONT is a transparent bridge, so I needed no change on the ONT) which created an interface and all I needed to do was add the necessary interface configuration with the PPPoE credentials.

Screenshot 2020-03-06 at 7.47.29 PM.webp

Screenshot 2020-03-06 at 7.48.05 PM.webp

As you can see, they use CG-NAT which is disappointing but other than BSNL and few others nobody else gives public IP addresses. Also I liked the fact that things just worked on first try 😆 (the above screenshot is from my first try to connect)

Will add more details as I explore more.

@Luifer did you make sure VLAN id is enabled? It's needed if your LCO uses VLANs. Also what other options are available under Connection Type besides PPPoE?

@pillaicha , Sorry i didn't say , but my connection is asianet .So the connection type is dynamic ip rather than ppoe when auto detect. So i thought if i clone my ont mac address to archer c6 will i able to set the bridge mode successfully . Or should i choose custom option when setting the archer c6 in router mode where i can manually input the vlan id in to it. So i dont know how to set up bridge mode with my connection.

@Luifer Okay so just to make sure we're on the same page: Your ONT is in bridge Mode and your C6 Archer will be in router Mode. If your LCO uses VLANs, you need to use VLAN tagging feature in your C6 Archer. If not, you may ignore.

If your MAC has been cloned, you may set up C6 Archer in route Mode (with or w/o VLAN tagging, depending on your case) and set it up with WAN IPoE or DHCP.

Once that is done, Asianet customer service can be called (or your LCO) and they have to register your MAC and link it with your account. This step would have been done already with your ONT but for IPoE, not only MAC but S/N is also used for authentication. So this step is necessary.

Router: TP-Link Archer C80

I recently started noticing that If I switch off my router and then turn them on immediately, it takes around 5 minutes to reconnect. After many days, I observed in my KV selfcare portal that when I switch them off, my session remains active for another 5 minutes and then gets terminated. The router gets connected only after that.

I checked my router's Syslog and it's sending PADI periodically while the session is active but not receiving PADO back. You can see it in the attachments.

However, if I reboot my router from its settings page, the session gets terminated and can reconnect immediately.

This one is a new router and I had shifted my modem and router to a new location. The LCO guys had to splice the wires for that. I think I didnt have this issue before that. I'm not sure though.

Is this normal or is there a problem? Does anyone know why this happens?

Attachments

• image_2020-10-16_00-38-24.webp
    image_2020-10-16_00-38-24.webp
    106.4 KB · Views: 436
Router: TP-Link Archer C80

I recently started noticing that If I switch off my router and then turn them on immediately, it takes around 5 minutes to reconnect. After many days, I observed in my KV selfcare portal that when I switch them off, my session remains active for another 5 minutes and then gets terminated. The router gets connected only after that.

Install PPPoE services monitor and connect the cable from ONT directly to your PC. See which PPPoE servers there are. Maybe its connecting to wrong one

if I reboot my router from its settings page, the session gets terminated and can reconnect
When rebooting, the router sends session termination signal to the PPPoE server so the server knows that the session is ended and upon rebooting the router connects fine.

But when you switch off, there is no termination signal sent to the server so the server takes about 5 mins to find out that the session is no more active and it disconnects it. I guess this maybe the configuration of the KVs PPPoE server to check the session status every 5 mins.

@pillaicha @JB701 @Gokul Kannan
Thank you for the replies guys! However, I cannot check your suggestions right now as there is some maintenance work happening and I will have to wait for it to be completed.

Meanwhile, I would like to ask what should be the optimal range of "Optical module input and output power"s.
My values are attached below.

Attachments

• image_2020-10-16_00-41-07.webp
    image_2020-10-16_00-41-07.webp
    20.2 KB · Views: 360

Back