MTNL Broadband: 8mbps Plans

• Thread starter Thread starter Atul
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,949
  • Views Views 264,069
Went to MTNL local exchange today to complain about the timeout issues, and they said that they had received a lot of complaints and are working server side to resolve it ASAP. Hopefully then even the new IP ranges/Alcatel will work fine.

Hi guys, I'm planning to take a new connection starting from scratch. All I have is an ancient MTNL telephone line coming into my house on a bare minimum incoming only plan.
Where do I start and which wireless modem is the best suited for this plan, Thanks in advance.

^^ The way is to go to your nearest exchange -or- call up 1500 from your landline (I just did this call) ... they will do the necessary stuff & the installtion or activation charge will be charged in your next month's telephone bill..
I do not know about best wireless modem , as I use a wired one , so may be some of our other friends will answer this :) . As such even MTNL provides wireless modem (charging Rs 50 per month , & Rs 600 initially)

rohitkpatil said:
The MTNL Usage page is still down. My username is also ph@a .....Anybody has contacted MTNL regarding it ? I don't want to..incase they screw up something else ..LOL
Its still down , Can login , but a blank page when I click usage information .. I tried calling 1504 , they started giving me some other numbers.. just dint even listen properly what I was trying to tell them :D .

ace said:
Hi guys, I'm planning to take a new connection starting from scratch. All I have is an ancient MTNL telephone line coming into my house on a bare minimum incoming only plan.
Where do I start and which wireless modem is the best suited for this plan, Thanks in advance.
If you want to use the existing line (you can do that, it might be faster) you just call 1500 or go to the exchange & tell them your requirements. If you want to take a new line for your broadband connection then I suggest you read http://mtnlmumbai.in/index.php/documents-required which gives you al the info of what documents are required & use the relevant form http://mtnlmumbai.in/index.php/customer-care/download-form, and they will do the needful. Also read about the cost involved which is also mentioned on their site. Be specific about what tel plan & broadband plan you want to avoid later controversies/disputes. Regarding a modem I suggest you initially use the MTNL provided unit. Decide right in the beginning whether you want wifi as it will reduce your costs.

lot of request timeouts since morning, had to complete an online training related to work and am just not able to do it. this is so damn frustrating.
I have raised another pgportal grievance to them asking to change to SOTL. I still doubt they will do as most who call have no idea about server ports.
Anyone has any other idea to get them to change to SOTL?

^^
How abt whtever Sanket suggested in earlier posts..... like going to ur own xchg and prabhadevi xchg for port chg request..... read Sanket's earlier posts.......

any of u having the timeout issues should consider using a local dns like acrylic dns.
works like a local dns cache and will serve requests directly.
the first time u open a website it goes via mtnl dns and the ip is cached by acrylic. any request henceforth to the website will be served by acrylic instead of mtnl.
works like a charm. i can upload my own cache if u guys need it.
either use this or keep barking at mtnl.. lol

Back