MTNL Broadband: 8mbps Plans

• Thread starter Thread starter Atul
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,949
  • Views Views 264,025
@jaysoni,
How do the stats look if you select just g.dmt modulation (and leave all other unticked)?
Using better wires or re-crimping wires/connectors may help.

jaysoni said:
Nothing seems to be helping :(

I have done what you guys have suggested.
- ADSL2+ and Annex M ticked
- Used another splitter for the router
- I have also checked the stats after connecting the router at same place where phone is

Existing location after ADSL change --- http://pbrd.co/1sPVQf5
Phone’s location --- http://pbrd.co/1sPVYeD

What could be the reason?
make sure your location is not more than 1.5 / 2 kms from telephone exchange.

Reach out to mtnl wire men supporting your area, try and explain him the issue.

Reach out to Internet department manager in exchange near to you, explain them your issue and ask them to check line stats from their end. They should be able to tell you most likely cause of the issue and help you work through wire men.

Hi Friends,

I need your help to understand what is going terribly wrong with my Internet connection.

I am currently on an 8 Mbps line and the speedtest website shows that I get an average speed of 6.75 Mbps. My connection is from the MTNL Juhu Danda Exchange and I stay around 3 kilometers from the exchange close to Juhu Tara Road. Only the torrent downloading works fine. However, I am facing a lot of problem with sites not opening, youtube videos not opening on phone or tablet device, slow buffering speeds and very frequent time outs. Even to get to the broadband forum site to write post, I had to refresh the page 4-5 times.
I did not have this problem earlier. The connection from the MTNL junction box earlier was coming to my router through an internal wiring - however, while everything functioned perfect at that time in terms of sites opening, buffering and speed (~6.8-6.9 Mbps), there were frequent disconnections.
After living with regular disconnections for 14 months and taking multiple corrective actions in vain (MTNL router change, switch change at exchange, new cable from junction box, temporary external wiring to see if disconnection happens, etc.), I was finally asked to get a new external wiring by the MTNL linesman. I bought a new cable and the linesman gave me a new connection from the junction box in my building. The problems have started since then - I do not know what has gone wrong. I tried to make changes after reading through the forum but so far nothing has yielded any encouraging results. And hence this post.
Current Plan: 8 Mbps
MTNL ADSL Router: Beetel 410TC1 (I was given this router by MTNL - they exchanged the old Sterlite router saying it does not support 8mbps)
It is connected to Wireless Router: Netgear WGR614v9
Connection Information:
Modulation: ADSL2 PLUS
Annex Mode: Annex_M
SNR Margin: 22.6 db (D) 13.2 db (U)
Line Attenuation: 26.6 db (D) 16.6 db (U)
Data Rate: 8192 kbps (D) 2045 kbps (U)
Attainable Rate: 18616 kbps (D) 2473 kbps (U)
POWER: 14 dbm (D) 14.3 dbm (U)
CRC: 46 (D) 0 (U)
Is it wiring, or the router, or the junction box? How do I identify this as the linesman is not much help when it comes to technical issues?
Also, is there a way to test latency in the connection?
Thank you in advance for your help.

My ADSL light has been going off a lot since yesterday. I never get more than 4-5MBPS. It's even worse now.
Here are my stats:
Mode: ADSL2
Type: ANNEX_A
Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 4117 kbps 1072 kbps
SNR Margin (dB): 6.6 6.5
Attenuation (dB): 48.9 32.9
Output Power (dBm): 19.8 12.5
Super Frames: 7475 7469
RS Correctable Errors: 53403 128
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 620 72
HEC Errors: 7548 0
Total Cells: 55027 53827
Data Cells: 186690 53827
Bit Errors: 0 0
What seems to be wrong?

@nicechap
Those stats are very good for 3km+ distance (wiring distance is always more), and are certainly good enough to support 8mbps. What is your current modem and router?
@Ardzard
Extremely bad line.

Is there anything I can do about it?

The exchange is around 2-4km away from me. Not more than that.

I just checked. It's exactly 2.6km away from where I am.
Thread has 135 pages. Any idea what exactly?
Is the bad line fixable or should I give up on MTNL giving me high speed without DCing often?

@x720 Thanks for the reply. Here are the router details:
MTNL Router: Beetel 410TC1 (I was given this router by MTNL - they exchanged the old Sterlite router saying it does not support 8mbps)
It is connected to Wireless Router: Netgear WGR614v9
Btw, I just rechecked on Google Maps and the distance from the exchange is shown as 1.2 km. I think that could be the reason for decent speedtest results. However, the actual performance while opening websites, et al, is horrible.

Back