MTNL Broadband: 8mbps Plans

• Thread starter Thread starter Atul
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,949
  • Views Views 264,019
Hi Guys,

Recently I'm really annoyed with the connection, when it starts raining SNR becomes terrible and I experience frequent disconnections even periods of rains where the dsl just won't sync. The good news is I fixed the time-out and page not opening issues by changing the DNS to opendns.com's ones, also youtube works fine with the DNS change.

MTNL suggests this one also 8.8.4.4 + 8.8.8.8

Anyways, I'm planning to let the current 8mbps plan continue till the end of this month and switch back to the 2mbps plan until the monsoon ends, maybe will switch back to 8mbps in September or october.

Without the rains or rainy season I was all fine.

Best,
Nickd

Note: I'm on my reliance netconnect + right now due to the dsl not syncing because it's raining outside :P

Hi Friends.

I have not been able to lay my hands on another wired modem. I am thinking of another approach and I need your suggestion - do you think that changing my dynamic IP to a static IP from MTNL would help? Could the DHCP setting be a problem for not getting enough speed? And is my assumption correct that if I get a static IP, MTNL will also change the switch at the exchange?

Btw, I went to the MTNL exchange after one of you last advised to get switch changed. I enquired about the time outs and having to do continual refresh of web pages even though I have an 8 mbps line. The person at the exchange checked and removed something called radius check. There was a remove button and he said one problem is resolved. Any clue what this is?

I also got to know that I am on an Alcatel switch.

Thanks, once again, in advance for your help and suggestions.

Thanks for asking. Yes, things have become relatively better than before after the removal of the radius check. The frequent timeouts have reduced, and the sites are opening relatively faster. However, I still get youtube videos not working and iPhone app updates giving server connection error (this is a regular recurrence). I have talked to the linesman and he has promised to come this week to do a recheck. It seems there could be a problem at the junction box or with the new wiring that we did. I will keep you posted.

I recently got an Apple Time Capsule 2TB device from a friend who is moving to US. He has got a deal on a new TC with his Macbook in US so he decided to leave his old one with me - he uses some service called Crashplan so he was not bothered about deleting his past data on the disk. Has anyone used this service - it is an online backup service - no clue how good it is for Indian customers.

Coming back to the issue, I thought that the wireless coverage on the Apple Device is much better compared to my Netgear wireless router WGR614. Since it also has a 2TB HDD, I recently changed from NetGear to Time Capsule as my wireless router. My current set up has the Time Capsule connected to the MTNL ADSL modem (Beetel 450 TC1 wired modem) through a wired Ethernet cable. The Ethernet cable is attached to the WAN port on the Time Capsule, through which a wireless network has been created. The problem I am facing is that of a Double NAT error as both the ADSL router and Time Capsule are trying to act as routers on the network.

The easiest solution to this is to deactivate the DHCP and NAT functionality on Time Capsule and put it in bridge mode so that it acts as a simple switch. As I did this, I noticed reduced data transfer speeds between various devices at home that are connected to the Time Capsule, and also reduced data transfer rate for Time Capsule backups. It seems that the data transfer flow happens like this - from connected device to Time Capsule - from Time Capsule to ADSL modem - from ADSL modem back to Time Machine Backup Disk. Since I was using the Time Capsule in Bridge mode, the IP request resolution and routing was being done by the ADSL modem and so everything was passing through it, there by reducing the data speeds.

I checked online and it is recommended that the DHCP and NAT functionality is activated for Time Capsule for error-free backups and faster data transfer rates. For the Time Capsule to work correctly in DHCP and NAT, the ADSL modem/router device needs to be reconfigured as a simple bridge mode modem and not as router as it now is.

Has anyone tried to deactivate DHCP and NAT on the ADSL modem (and how?) and allocated these functions to the connected wireless router?

Thanks for asking. Yes, things have become relatively better than before after the removal of the radius check. The frequent timeouts have reduced, and the sites are opening relatively faster. However, I still get youtube videos not working and iPhone app updates giving server connection error (this is a regular recurrence). I have talked to the linesman and he has promised to come this week to do a recheck. It seems there could be a problem at the junction box or with the new wiring that we did. I will keep you posted.

Nothing will improve on Alcatel. That system is mis-configured. You have to change port to SOTL. If you read VDSL user experience thread started by me, you will know that I faced exact same problem on wifi. The internet was UN-BROWSE-ABLE on wireless devices in my house. That is because the throttling on Alcatel is aggressive. The RADIUS server tries to throttle every single session from your IP and the less capable devices like mobiles, tablets struggle due to it. Desktops usually have more cache and RAM so our browsers try their level best to keep up. Hence we get relatively less timeouts on desktop.

I managed to switch to SOTL few months back and now my connection is having zero problems. Many people on this forum have successfully managed to switch to SOTL and all of a sudden, they have stopped complaining. FACT!

Another interesting take on this situation is that Alcatel system is having heavy load. This may be because MTNL has given out far more connections than that system can handle.

Thank you, sanke1. In that case, I think SOTL is the way to go - though it might be a Herculean task given the hesitation I faced at the exchange to give me the name of the current server. Anyways, I will try my luck this week and see if they move me to SOTL. Thanks, once again, for the advice.

I had enquired about the VDSL connection earlier. The linesman had advised me not to go for it. He said that they had recently given our the VDSL connections near my location. However, most people are suffering frequent disconnections, et al.

On a separate note, I had posted recently regarding DHCP and NAT issues. Do you suggest I take the Beetel modem/router to the exchange so that they can configure it in bridge mode or at least deactivate DHCP/NAT on the ADSL modem/router?

A bit funny bt how to check if sum1 is on SOTL OR ALCATEL ??

Can you type sentences in full correct English please? This is not BBM or WhatsApp.

On topic:
If your IP address is in range 182.56.xx.xx then you are on New Alcatel
If your IP address is in range 120.xx.xx.xx then you are on SOTL
If your IP address is in range 59.xx.xx.xx then you are either on Old Alcatel or Ericsson.

Ericsson and SOTL IP ranges have trouble free browsing experience.

Back