MTNL Broadband: 8mbps Plans

• Thread starter Thread starter Atul
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,949
  • Views Views 263,940
So I got the 8Mbps plan very recently. It was working fine with full 8mbps download speeds and uploads were as per plan as well.
However, the past two days it's not getting me more than 1.5Mbps downloads even though it's synced as before to 8193 Downstream as before in the router and I haven't exceeded the free data cap either.

I would like to know the procedure on getting my old speed back please. Anyone to call etc.?

Thanks.

Funny, because I recently got my connection(8MB/s) activated as well, and for the first day or two I was getting decent speeds, alth0ugh more like half of what they promise. Since then, however I've been getting 0.5mb/s and then 1.5mb/s after I registered a complaint online.

It's literally like the internet Gods are conspiring against me. I go from Youtelecom with their unaccceptable ping spikes(for gaming) to MTNL with horrendous speed issues and higher than average ping even with a VPN. Oh, and not to mention the fact that I've tried getting Airtel, Reliance, Hathway and God knows how many other connections, but they're all unavailable in my area.

Last edited:
So I got the 8Mbps plan very recently. It was working fine with full 8mbps download speeds and uploads were as per plan as well.
However, the past two days it's not getting me more than 1.5Mbps downloads even though it's synced as before to 8193 Downstream as before in the router and I haven't exceeded the free data cap either.

I would like to know the procedure on getting my old speed back please. Anyone to call etc.?

Thanks.

Did your 8 Mbps plan start from middle of the month? If you can tell us What date your plan was activated, Which plan you opted and How many GBs of data was consumed so far then it's possible to calculate the FUP limit as it is pro-rated for first month.

Example. If you have 30 GB FUP limit, and if your plan was activated on 15th of that month, then you get only 15 GB FUP limit for remaining 15 days of the same month. If you consume 15 GBs by 20th, then for the remainder of the month you will get 1-1.5 Mbps till 30th.

From next month onwards, you will get full data allotted as per your FUP.

Did your 8 Mbps plan start from middle of the month? If you can tell us What date your plan was activated, Which plan you opted and How many GBs of data was consumed so far then it's possible to calculate the FUP limit as it is pro-rated for first month.

Example. If you have 30 GB FUP limit, and if your plan was activated on 15th of that month, then you get only 15 GB FUP limit for remaining 15 days of the same month. If you consume 15 GBs by 20th, then for the remainder of the month you will get 1-1.5 Mbps till 30th.

From next month onwards, you will get full data allotted as per your FUP.
Yes It was started around 2 weeks into this month, Around the 14-16th of December. I've consumed exactly 64,253.91 MB as of this post as per the MTNL website. I have the DSL_COMBO_1750_8MBPS plan which offer 80 GB as FUP limit so by your theory this is normal and Its reduced because I exceeded the plan then? half of 85 GB set me to 42.5GB for the remaining two weeks yes?

Been trying to figure out why ping to Singapore with MTNL is higher than average(100-110) and refuses to come down, even by 2-5ms when using a VPN service. Note that when on Youtelecom this same VPN service called WTFast would always give me a ping improvement ranging from 20 to 240 depending on how bad routing, and therefore ping was. Note that I am happy with the stability in ping provided by MTNL, I just want to figure out why nothing reduces it.

So I talked to customer service for this VPN and they got me to send a few WinMTR logs to check traceroute and ping combos to a few places, and these are the responses I got:

"I looked at your MTR, your ISP is blocking some pings within it's network but allowing targets outside to occur normally, so that should not be a problem. "

"Interesting, your ISP has a lot of ping flux and loss but when you get to the gameserver most of that settles down. It does have a flux of over twice it's ping and an average of 89 MS to server which is still in the same ballpark."

"Interesting, two MTRs to the same server two strikingly different results. You might want to send these to your ISP and ask what's up with their service. In one of those they have ping spikes in the thousands. Your ISP might be over subscriped or doing something strange with their network. "

Now I'm pretty damn sure showing these results to MTNL like the guy suggested will do nothing more than waste my time and energy, but does anyone have any ideas or experience with this kind of problem? Help would be appreciated.

Back