MTNL Broadband: 8mbps Plans

• Thread starter Thread starter Atul
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,949
  • Views Views 264,094
Yep, your line does have faults. Way to much signal loss. How far are you from the exchange?I live not too far, and these are stats that can be considered as ideal/decent for 8mbit. Upstream SNR is less due it being synced at 2mbitIn general, you should have the snr above 12dB at least. So that even if it goes down on bad days, it still stays above 8.

I live < 1 km georgaphically from the exchange. SNR values are fluctuating with different modems, naked/non-naked. This is pretty much the best value I get. According to http://www.speedguide.net/dsl_speed_calc.php, wire distance shows as >3 km. Which I doubt is correct. Even the road distance to the exchange is

enkay said:
For testing purposes, I managed to hook up an old ADSL 2+ Modem (Beetel 110TC1) to my naked setup (with a correct adapter this time), and I seem to be getting much better values. Does the line still look faulty to you guys?
There is a marginal improvement in the SNR both up and down.
I think those stats seem reasonable for the line attenuation value.
From those values, you stay Approx 3 Km (Wire length wise) from exchange. Consider yourself lucky to get a stable sync at 8 Mbps downstream.

But those Line Attenuation values vary frm router to router........
For me..... my old Linksys WAG54G2 use to giv 12db downstream...... now the new TP-Link W8970 gives 25db downstream...... so cant rly trust these numbers.......
enkay said:
I'm hoping if the line gets fixed, I'll get up to 2 Mbps of attainable rate of "Upload". That's what the plan promises. Right now, I can't really tell if 1101 kbps is what it is actually synced at
http://mtnlmumbai.in/index.php/8mbps-plan
And of course, better pings :)
If u want 2Mbps upload just chg "DSL Modulation Annex Type" to "Annex M".......

I didn't know that bit. Thanks.
Downstream Attenuation has gone up and Attainable rate and Down Data rate both have gone down.
Why this happens. I guess it is a trade-off!
Old:

New: (Before Annex_M)

yes its a trade off......only when ur attainable down rate is lower.......
Like for me...... my Attainable down rate is 22500kbps on Annex A...... so when I chg to Annex M it goes to 20500kbps...... so I still get 8192kbps data rate....... which doesnt affect my download speed........
Once ur line gets fixed..... u'll get higher attainable rates and get full 8192kbps down data rate and 2Mbps upload rate.......

After a lot of convincing, got hold of the linesman and explained him what the problem was, and what to check. He checked at the junction box (outside the building) and said "जितना मिलना चाहिए, उतना मिल रहा है". He concluded that the wire distance may be a problem, and if I felt bad paying so much for internet, he recommended that I get a 2 Mbps plan.
He didn't bother checking the line inside the house though, or the building's box. I'll have to do that myself I guess.

Back