MTNL Broadband: 8mbps Plans

• Thread starter Thread starter Atul
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,949
  • Views Views 264,093
shethsa said:
Got a new modem + wifi (D-Link n 300) for my 4mbps plan. So far stable after installing.
are you in mumbai? were you facing disconnections before this modem?

I'll have to say my disconnections have gone down a long way. SNR is still poor (as reported before), and I was considering the TP-Link very seriously, but now that it is working, why fix it if it ain't broke? I would like better SNR though.

My stats for now
Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin​
:​
6.3 7.5 db
Line Attenuation​
40.0 21.5 db
Data Rate​
8192 1101 kbps
Max Rate​
10040 1188 kbps
POWER​
18.3 12.3 dbm
CRC​
3951 2
enkay said:
I'll have to say my disconnections have gone down a long way. SNR is still poor (as reported before), and I was considering the TP-Link very seriously, but now that it is working, why fix it if it ain't broke? I would like better SNR though.
Me too.. will consider the TP-Link,,, but first i have to sort out the disconnections... Despite high SNR still facing disconnections...
my Stats

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin​
14.0 7.5 db
Line Attenuation​
40.0 21.5 db
Data Rate​
8192 1101 kbps
Max Rate​
15192 1188 kbps
POWER​
18.3 12.3 dbm
CRC​
4268 2

Your SNR (Down) seems to be fluctuating quite badly. Could be an indication of a faulty connector inside the house.

thanks a lot sankel and kartoonz ..that was a quick reply..
One last thing I want to know is about this line bonding thing... I assume that line bonding means two separate mtnl telephone wires that will be combined into one and will be connected to router..I apologize if it's wrong...Please feel free to correct me....
I switched from 4Mbps plan to 8Mbps today.....So does it mean that until and unless I get that line bonding done,I will not get 8Mbps Speed???
If not then is my current setup enough to provide me speeds upto 8Mbps.??. Currrent setup means my telephone line is directly connected to router...I used to get speed upto 4 Mbps easily...

enkay said:
Your SNR (Down) seems to be fl8mbpdctuating quite badly. Could be an indication of a faulty connector inside the house.
what would you advise me to check? I checked the splitter and was fine... Is it the mtnl connection box outside my house perhaps?
Siddhesh Jayawant said:
thanks a lot sankel and kartoonz ..that was a quick reply..One last thing I want to know is about this line bonding thing... I assume that line bonding means two separate mtnl telephone wires that will be combined into one and will be connected to router..I apologize if it's wrong...Please feel free to correct me.... I switched from 4Mbps plan to 8Mbps today.....So does it mean that until and unless I get that line bonding done,I will not get 8Mbps Speed???If not then is my current setup enough to provide me speeds upto 8Mbps.??. Currrent setup means my telephone line is directly connected to router...I used to get speed upto 4 Mbps easily...
I had a similar question. Members have clarified that line bonding is not required for 8mbps... I still get around 6-7mbps without bonding...infact everyone here do not have bonding... The only thing to be afraid of will be frequent disconnections..

Siddhesh Jayawant said:
thanks a lot sankel and kartoonz ..that was a quick reply..
One last thing I want to know is about this line bonding thing... I assume that line bonding means two separate mtnl telephone wires that will be combined into one and will be connected to router..I apologize if it's wrong...Please feel free to correct me....
I switched from 4Mbps plan to 8Mbps today.....So does it mean that until and unless I get that line bonding done,I will not get 8Mbps Speed???
If not then is my current setup enough to provide me speeds upto 8Mbps.??. Currrent setup means my telephone line is directly connected to router...I used to get speed upto 4 Mbps easily...
You do not need Line bonding if you live within 3 km of wiring distance from exchange.

sanke1 said:
You do not need Line bonding if you live within 3 km of wiring distance from exchange.
Yes. And if you are > 3 km of wiring distance from an MTNL exchange, then you are probably better off considering an alternate provider.

Back