MTNL Broadband: 8mbps Plans

• Thread starter Thread starter Atul
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,949
  • Views Views 264,082
PanZeR008 said:
This is probably wht Sanket uses as Wifi Router : ASUS RT-AC66U This is wht I use as Wifi Router : TP-Link W8970 I like to call it : Immortal Beast vs Aam Aadmi :playful:
kartoonz said:
holy crap.... you guys are using a 6k and 15k modem....
Don't be ridiculous. I don't use Rs. 15k router. I use this ASUS RT-AC68U :) I had already offered my 2 yr old Asus RT-N56U for sale Rs. 3000. But no one seems to be bothered.
bone_china said:
Guys, I have applied for the MTNL DSL_8Mbps_1750 plan which is supposed top get activated tomorrow i.e 01 Jan 2014. I download lots of HD movie and TV series torrents. Previous to this I have been on the Xpress_UL_Combo_1550 and have used many of the 2 MBPS MTNL plans over the last few years. In general I have been happy with the services of MTNL. I stay behind Citylight Cinema, Mahim, which is approx 1.2 km from Shivaji Park Telephone exchange. I have been reading with great interest some of the comments on this plan. It seems people have had mixed experiences. I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping I get good speeds. Since I stay further than the 1 km radius I am expecting some deterioration in speeds at my residence - but hoping it does not fall below 6.5 Mbps. I will run speedtest and post results once the plan is working. I have some questions to some of the experts on this forum, sanke1 and kartoonz and others:1) are there any tests (other than speedtest) to determine everything is working as it should be2) MTNL has supplied me with Binatone DM 856W wireless modem. It is quite crappy - I get very weak signal in the next room. MTNL has given me the option of buying any modem of my choice from the market and returning the Binatone. Can you guys make suitable recomendations for a superb modem for a 4 room house (700 sq feet) - cost is not an issue. Thanks in advance to everyone for their help. Best regardsbone_china
1) Run speedtests and see if you are getting a download speed between 7-8 Mbps.2) You will never know how the modem performs until you use it on your OWN line. But general consensus here is TP-Link TD8817 performs well under 2 km and beyond 2 km, D-Link 2520U with broadcom chipset does well. Both are modem only. Report your ADSL stats like SNR Margin, Attenuation and CRC errors for us to help. If you ask me, I prefer these cheap modems and put them under bridge mode so they stay dumb. The main connection PPPoE dialing should be done by a reasonably good Router from reputed brand. I have had some horrible luck with ADSL modem cum wifi router combo. Those are generally low on processing power and fail to handle ADSL + Wifi + Ethernet LAN all at the same time. They usually hang often requiring us to power cycle them at increasing intervals in their life.
kartoonz said:
i thought i would get that but it costs 2.5k and i just wanted to rule out mtnl modem fault first before i invest in a expensive modem...
Your ADSL modem should be cheapest but must support ADSL 2+ Annex M modulation.

My 8mbps plan got activated *after* I called Prabhadevi Exchange 12540 and reminded them. Never mind, I upload an image for the speeds I am getting.
People mentioned here something about the right profile? How do I test whether I am on the right profile since I am getting peak speed of 7 mpbs and not 8 mbps.

bone_china said:
My 8mbps plan got activated *after* I called Prabhadevi Exchange 12540 and reminded them. Never mind, I upload an image for the speeds I am getting.
People mentioned here something about the right profile? How do I test whether I am on the right profile since I am getting peak speed of 7 mpbs and not 8 mbps.
Everything is ok . Seems like you have been put on 8192 2048 profile
To get 8 Mbps download speed, you need to be on 10240 1024 profile.

Sanke1, thanks a lot for your replies. Please bear with me - I am a complete newbie and tech challenged so I have a few more questions:
[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]1) Run speedtests and see if you are getting a download speed between 7-8 Mbps.[/color]
[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]2) You will never know how the modem performs until you use it on your OWN line. But general consensus here is TP-Link TD8817 performs well under 2 km and beyond 2 km, D-Link 2520U with broadcom chipset does well. Both are modem only. [/color]
[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;] [/color]
[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]Report your ADSL stats like SNR Margin, Attenuation and CRC errors for us to help.[/color]
[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;] [/color]
[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]If you ask me, I prefer these cheap modems and put them under bridge mode so they stay dumb. The main connection PPPoE dialing should be done by a reasonably good Router from reputed brand. I have had some horrible luck with ADSL modem cum wifi router combo. Those are generally low on processing power and fail to handle ADSL + Wifi + Ethernet LAN all at the same time. They usually hang often requiring us to power cycle them at increasing intervals in their life.[/color]
Question 1) I have already uploaded the speedtest results. How do I run [color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]reports for ADSL stats like SNR Margin, Attenuation and CRC errors ?[/color]
[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]Question 2) How do I check the "profile" on which MTNL has put me. Although I am happy with 7mbps since it is a huge improvement iver 2 mbps, it is still not 8 mpbs :playful:[/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;] [/color]
Question 3) My requirements for modem and router are for home use: 1 pc connection for gaming and torrents, one tablet, 2 phones. Should I be buying separate modem and router? Since I am tech challenged who can do this for me? Is there a "consultant" who will set it up for me for a fee?
Question 4) I seem to be getting frequent disconnections - is this a problem with high speed plans like the 8mbps?
Thanks to hear from you.

bone_china said:
Sanke1, thanks a lot for your replies. Please bear with me - I am a complete newbie and tech challenged so I have a few more questions:

Question 1) I have already uploaded the speedtest results. How do I run [color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]reports for ADSL stats like SNR Margin, Attenuation and CRC errors ?[/color]
[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]Question 2) How do I check the "profile" on which MTNL has put me. Although I am happy with 7mbps since it is a huge improvement iver 2 mbps, it is still not 8 mpbs :playful:[/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;] [/color]
Question 3) My requirements for modem and router are for home use: 1 pc connection for gaming and torrents, one tablet, 2 phones. Should I be buying separate modem and router? Since I am tech challenged who can do this for me? Is there a "consultant" who will set it up for me for a fee?
Question 4) I seem to be getting frequent disconnections - is this a problem with high speed plans like the 8mbps?
Thanks to hear from you.
Type 192.168.1.1 in your browser's addressbar
Username: admin
Password: admin
and then browse through your modem's interface to find those statistics.
Don't fix if it ain't broken.

ADSL Firmware Version​
:​
FwVer:3.20.17.0_TC3087 HwVer:T14.F7_11.2
Line State​
Showtime
Modulation​
ADSL2
Annex Mode​
ANNEX_A
Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin​
15.9 7.3 db
Line Attenuation​
8.3 5.8 db
Data Rate​
8192 1141 kbps
Max Rate​
12456 1148 kbps
POWER​
19.1 12.1 dbm
CRC​
0 0
finally work done!! :saturn:
still cant connect with Annex M n ADSL 2+ modulation..dunno why..but still enjoying 800-850 KB/sec transfer rate!! happy with that
https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3202246091

bone_china said:

Thanks to hear from you.
Frequent disconnections huh... now thats my problem as well and 1 month i have not be able to fix that... Even i am on the 8mbps plan but my profile is set to 4mbps by the broadband incharge...
do you have any parallel line running in your house for this bb number? This may be a challenge for you... check your sessions on the mtnl site....
Also can you tell us how far are you from the exchange?

Why don't my download speeds exceed 7mbps on Speedtest? Has it got something to do with Annex M?
IIRC I guess I used to get more than 7 on Speedtest when I wasn't on Annex M.

AbhishekS said:
Why don't my download speeds exceed 7mbps on Speedtest? Has it got something to do with Annex M?IIRC I guess I used to get more than 7 on Speedtest when I wasn't on Annex M.
You need to be on profile 10240/1024I guess you are on 8192/2048.

Back